• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fillings for Easter eggs

keychris

I wonder what everyone's favourite fillings they put into easter eggs are?

I'm quite partial to a peppermint toffee that you sprinkle over the inside of the egg as it's setting up - gives a delicious crunch later on :)

I'm curious about more liquid fillings though, and how one goes about filling an egg with something like, say, a salted caramel.

Any ideas?

One of my neighbors (Italian) makes a "fruity nougat filling" made with the candied fruits that are in spumoni ice cream.

It doesn't get hard unless exposed to air. The chocolate coating keeps it soft enough to slice - she makes eggs that are about 4 inches long.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

One of my neighbors (Italian) makes a "fruity nougat filling" made with the candied fruits that are in spumoni ice cream.

It doesn't get hard unless exposed to air. The chocolate coating keeps it soft enough to slice - she makes eggs that are about 4 inches long.

That sounds quite yummy. I'm guessing it's a fondant base?

I don't make them, but when I was a kid the local chocolate shop specialized in filled eggs in various sizes, the most common being about the size of a softball.

Getting possession of a whole one was a transportive experience and nothing could take the place.

My favorite had a marshmallow and caramel roll in the middle so that slices had a spiral effect.

Second favorite had what was then called a French chocolate center. Very soft, like Ice Cube candy.

I would absolutely go nuts for one filled with candied fruit today.

There is a candy company called Lagomarcino's that makes a hollow egg filled with individual chocolates that makes an amazing gift.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

My neighbor says she uses an "old" nougat recipe but in addition to the nuts adds the chopped candied fruits.

Her recipe makes a softer version than the usual torrone and she found this recipe for me.

She has "half" egg molds but says the nougat is easy to stick together into a whole egg shape before it cools completely and she dips them into chocolate - they like dark chocolate - three times, allowing them to set for an hour or so between dipping to make a thicker shell and then she drizzles "strings" onto the top surface to make a flower pattern but when her kids were little did their names.

She decorates them with the little colored candy discs that come in pastel "Easter" colors.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This was available where I grew up. It was my favorite--this, and "coconut cream."