• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crusty breads and airtight plastic bags

Hassouni

Why do so many craft bakers do this: handmade, crusty, fresh loaves, immediately thrust into sealed airtight plastic bags. Within minutes, the crustiness is lost and the bread soon turns soft and unappetising. The only solution is to bake it for about 10 minutes when I get home, but I feel this changes the flavor and internal texture and isn't a perfect solution. One bakery chain in the area has perforated bags that alleviate the problem, allowing some air contact. Why don't more places do this? Is this a problem in your area too?

/rant

The best way to fix a loaf that once was crusty - and it will not alter the interior of the bread at all.

Heat your oven to 400° F. When the oven is hot, run cold water over the entire outside of the loaf and quickly stick it in the oven, directly on the shelf.

Time it - 12 minutes for a standard baguette. add two minutes for the larger "Italian" loaves, reduce to 9 minutes for the smaller or thinner.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

What does the water do?

Also, no place here uses paper bags. Some leave them out until you buy, then into plastic - by the time you get them home, they've taken a turn for the worse.

My local sour-dough bakery uses paper bags when you buy their bread at the bakery but when they deliver to other stores they use plastic bags that appear to have small pores so they can breathe.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

The best way to fix a loaf that once was crusty - and it will not alter the interior of the bread at all.

Heat your oven to 400° F. When the oven is hot, run cold water over the entire outside of the loaf and quickly stick it in the oven, directly on the shelf.

Time it - 12 minutes for a standard baguette. add two minutes for the larger "Italian" loaves, reduce to 9 minutes for the smaller or thinner.

Long ago I learned an inverse trick for resuscitating stale bread: soak then squeeze dry a paper bag. Insert bread, place in medium temp oven for 5-10 minutes, depending on loaf size.

Pity that any baker would ruin a crusty loaf by putting it in plastic.

What does the water do?

Also, no place here uses paper bags. Some leave them out until you buy, then into plastic - by the time you get them home, they've taken a turn for the worse.

This is an old baker's "trick" for refreshing day-old bread for people who would come in to buy it at half price. We did it in my mom's bakery where I worked back in the mid-'50s. I would stand at the oven opening with a tub of ice water, dipping the loaves into the water and shoving them onto the shelf and as I got to the end of the shelf it would be time to take the first ones off.

(Big oven, long opening)

me and mom bakery 3.jpg

That's me in the shorts, my mom in the background next to the oven - a 16-shelf Peterson revolving (like a Ferris wheel)

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

What does the water do?

This is an old baker's "trick" for refreshing day-old bread for people who would come in to buy it at half price. We did it in my mom's bakery where I worked back in the mid-'50s. I would stand at the oven opening with a tub of ice water, dipping the loaves into the water and shoving them onto the shelf and as I got to the end of the shelf it would be time to take the first ones off.

(Big oven, long opening)

me and mom bakery 3.jpg

That's me in the shorts, my mom in the background next to the oven - a 16-shelf Peterson revolving (like a Ferris wheel)

Nice Loaves :)

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.