• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

Beth Wilson

"Chocolates and Confections"

10 posts in this topic

I was checking out Amazon and I discovered Peter Greweling has a new book coming out. Well, not really a totally new book but a new edition of Chocolates & Confections.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/0470424419

I have his first two books and I have used them with great success. The first book was a great reference book for my Food Chemistry course last year, actually it was a whole lot more informative than the text I had to buy for the course.

I am having a hard time deciding if I want to put the money down and pre-order this book too. Decisions Decisions.

I think I am leaning towards getting it anyway. His books have been great so far. Anyone got an opinion on picking this book up if you have the other two?

Just got an email from amazon that the release date is sooner then November, should have it by the end of this month!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

About time: I sold my old edition back when this one was announced to pay for the new one!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Thanks for posting that info minas6907. Wish the author indicated where his various photos are being used... would buy some other cookbooks based on those photos.

I think those photos are all in various CIA books. I recognize some from The Professional Chef and The Modern Cafe for sure (ans obviously Chocolates and Confections), and I'm going to assume also Garde Manger, and possibly The Art of Charcuterie. Not able to pinpoint them all though.

My copy arrived today: some first impressions (I have not made anything from the new edition yet)...

It's considerably larger than the first edition: the bulk of the new material appears to be expansion of the text itself, covering more ground in more detail at the beginning of each chapter. There are some new recipes, but that was not the focus of this revision. As was true of the first edition the text is clear and concise: I appreciate the additional details given regarding decorating molded chocolates (for instance). I think that the book remains the most definitive confectionery reference available, and if you don't own the first edition the new edition would definitely be a great resource for you. If you already own the first edition things are less clear. I certainly wouldn't suggest keeping both: if you want the new edition, sell your first edition (I think amazon is still offering a few dollars, but I bet there are a lot of amateur confectioners who wouldn't mind a cheap copy of the first edition either). Is it worth upgrading? Well... probably only if you're the obsessive-compulsive type. Then again, that might still be most confectioners out there!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• Similar Content

• By Damnfine
      I have a box of truffle shells that were not stored properly and have bloomed. If I fill and dip them in tempered chocolate, will the newly dipped chocolate bloom due to the layer underneath it, or will the outer layer seal the under layer and keep them looking nice?
    • By adey73
      does anyone recognise this grate/grid that Antonio Bachour is using in this picture.....or what the correct name for this bit of kit is....?

I like the height and I want one...

• By jedovaty
      Good morning!

Long story short: I am doing a spin off the coconut/chocolate/almond candy (almond joy), and trying to create a specific shape out of the almond.  My hands are cramped after a couple dozen failed attempts whittling roasted almonds, so now I'd like to try a different approach, and instead, create some kind of sub-candy or cookie with roasted almonds that I can put into a mold or use a mini cookie cutter.  I'm fairly new to sweets, my knowledge in this area is pretty slim.  Some ideas so far, I don't like any, but it might help turn some gears:
      1. dusting almond over a stencil, but that's not enough almond nor crunchy enough
      2. almond brittle, but that's too hard and sweet, I'd like it more of a soft crunch, and bringing the almond flavor forward
      3. meringue with almonds (sort of macaron-ish), however, weather has been humid and raining here, and I'm ending up with a gooey mess instead of that soft crunch

In addition to having almond-forward taste and soft crunch texture, it'd be fun to explore something modernish - I have a accumulated a few tools and ingredients not customarily found in homes.

There are dietary considerations I will have to account for, however, no need to worry about that now, I am just looking for ideas and a place to take it from there

Thank you for your time in reading!
    • By ChristysConfections
      Hey there wise E-gullet-ers!

I have another question to put out there. I am interested in making a rose jelly - one that I can layer with a chocolate ganache similar to a pâte de fruit. I don't really know how to go about this. Do you infuse water with dried rose petals and make a syrup? What's the best way to gellify it? I'm very curious. Has anyone made jellies with any other botanicals? Is anyone willing to share their recipe as a guideline?

Many thanks!
      Christy