• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Slab of raw ahi, sliced, dipped in soy and wasabi paste.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

"Cut-rate" cassoulet, made almost entirely with "convenience foods:"

From the freezer: chunks of roast pork (pernil); one link of Colombian chorizo, sliced; chunk of boiled ham, cubed; crisped duck skin and pork rind; pork stock and garlic stock (used to cook dried Great Northern beans, with dried rosemary, thyme, and fennel seed)

From the fridge: one duck leg confit (D'Artagnan)

From the closet: the aforementioned dried beans and herbs; panko and fried red onions, for the crust

Salad of Belgian endive, radicchio, Boston lettuce and romaine, with home-preserved roast peppers and artichoke hearts, and herbed feta

Zabaco "Dancing Bull" Zinfandel

Last night:

Spinach and bibb lettuce salad with goat cheese, reconstituted dried cherries and red onion

A slice of leftover pound cake from the other night

Popcorn, while watching a DVD.

payday has come! :biggrin:

Saturday night:

a platter of ten kinds of sashimi :biggrin:

a huge (2 lb) maguro kama (tuna collar) grilled with salt and pepper (this cost me $3.50!)

tofu and mizuna salad with a wafu (Japanese style dressing)

simmered kabocha

Japanese rice

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

dinner is in the oven as i type(and try to warmup from 7 hours on a hawkwatch with 20 mph sustained nnw winds and temps of about 3C )-

ahhhh the bell just dinged

roasted game hens

scalloped potatoes with seriously sharp cheddar from cabot

roasted green beans

then a 101F jacuzzi to watch the lunar eclipse :laugh:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Friday night dinner

Mushroom Barley soup

Yemenite Chicken stew with garlic and tomatoes

Braised Broccoli Rabe w/garlic and red pepper flakes

Savory Onion Kugel

Dessert: apples and tea

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

So I've been absent from this thread for about a week (what, you didn't NOTICE?), and I'm just catching up.

Last Monday, Nov. 3, we ate out, so to speak.

Tuesday: ordered Chinese.

Wednesday: was going to cook a chicken, but it was fowl. I mean, it was foul. Well before the sell-by date, and an expensive organic bird, but totally nauseating when I opened the package. So I looked around the kitchen, and made smothered onion sauce for pasta.

Thursday: made a big lasagna, from the recipe on the box. With ground beef. Good for two dinners and a couple lunches to boot.

Friday: more lasagna.

Saturday: Blackfish fillets a la meuniere, roasted asparagus, and rice pilaf. With key lime pie for dessert, homemade but not by me.

Sunday: Moroccan fragrant lamb tagine with carrots and celery. Made use of my recent batch of preserved lemons. Yum. Served with instant couscous. A warming dish on a cold night.

Edited by SethG (log)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Sunday dinner:

poached whole chicken, chopped up and served with "sauce" of Japanese leeks, ginger, salt and canola oil ( a wonderful dish taught to me by a friend from Hong Kong)

negi-toro (minced up traw tuna mixed with Japanese leeks and soy sauce)

komatsu-na kimchi

simmered kabocha

Japanese rice

Had a couple of friends to dinner, and I made my first souffle! I was quite unreasonably worried about making the bechamel (what if it's lumpy? what if it scorches? what if--gasp!--if if if?) , but it was sooo easy and so beautifully smooth. I used the spinach souffle recipe from Julia's "The Way to Cook," with some delicious cave-aged gruyere folded in. Mmmm. :rolleyes:

So, the full menu:

Spinach souffle

Oven-roasted tomatoes (six hours at 200, with kosher salt and ground coriander)

Green salad with roasted baby beets, shaved fennel, and lemon vinaigrette

La Brea's Organic Wheat bread (from Whole Foods, not bad. Heartier than white bread, but less hardcore rustic than the pain

au levain we usually go for)

And for dessert:

Marian Burros' Plum Torte, with vanilla ice cream (we all had seconds--and polished off the entire torte) :wub::wub:

She blogs: Orangette

all week: junk junk junk. takeout, cheap takeout, more takeout.

Last night, I made samosa filling, leaving the potatos somewhat chunky and skipped the pastry, serving it as a side to grilled steaks.

Tonight I got a craving going for a meat pie. So I made one from a small town Canadian cookbook my parents gave me ages ago. Good eats.

I used Julia's crust recipe from The Way To Cook, but the crisco was bad (you can tell how often I use crisco :rolleyes: ) so I subbed butter. I've tried making pie crusts before for tart shells and botched them miserably (I hadn't learned that 'heat is bad" factor & produced crumbly, hard tart shells that prompted someone to ask if the crust had nuts in it. oops. :blink: ) so it was a good learning experiance.

The downside: I didn't cool the meat mixture before adding it to the pie crust, so the pie crust on the bottom was not good -all the butter in it melted and formed a greasy pool. The bottom crust butter flavor was very strong, nearly overwhelming - that wasn't so good -so I just ditched the bottom of the pie and ate the rest. Live and learn.

The top, on the other hand, was really, really flakey and light. To the point of "whoa, I made this?" -so I'm happy there.

Dessert was a sticky toffee pudding that came out a bit too thick - the sauce didn't get to soak in well and it was too cakey instead of rich, dense, moist & pudding-like. I'll have to tinker with that. I think I ate half the dates in the bag before I even got around to chopping them up for the recipe.

Tomorrow night...spaghetti with meat sauce, only, unfortunately, all I have on hand is ground turkey. :sad: Maybe I shouldn't even call it meat sauce... turkey sauce. there.

". . . if waters are still, then they can't run at all, deep or shallow."

Sunday night:

Pan seared veal chop (salt, pepper and garlic seasoned), then finished in the oven with mushrooms and halved shallots. I made a pan sauce with the juices plus some butter and Chateauneuf du Pape.

The sauce needed a boost. I wonder if I did not season enough. Not bad though.

Sunday Night:

Portuguese kale and linguica soup with a few added turnip greens, carrots, and white beans.

Salad with mixed baby greens, diced apple, shaved greyure, and walnuts with a orange marmalade vinaigrette.

Warmed baguette and butter

Homemade banana bread (not really to be served with the soup, but we had to taste it warm after it came out of the oven!)for later.

JANE

Monday dinner:

green beans and minced pork stirfried with a soy-sake-tonbanjian sauce

simmered satoimo (Japanese taro) with all of the burned parts cut off :blink:

squid sashimi and avocado with a wasabi-soy dressing

komatsuna kimchi

cucumber kimchi

Japanese rice

Zurek (Polish white borscht) with turnips, green daikon, Yukon Gold Potatoes, with fresh parsley and creme fraiche. And pork crackling atop.

Hard cooked eggs with wild mushrooms, leek ribbons, and sauerkraut with smoked paprika.

Slices of roasted pork shank (whence the crackling) with rosemary.

Huge brussel sprouts marinated in extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Seed bread.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Something simple but delicious....bruschetta...our own version...toasted fresh bread...olive oil, aged balsamic, garlic, fresh tomato, basil and feta cheese.....oh....and let's not forget the wine!....

Something simple but delicious....bruschetta...our own version...toasted fresh bread...olive oil, aged balsamic, garlic, fresh tomato, basil and feta cheese.....oh....and let's not forget the wine!....

bunkyoc,

welcome to egullet and the dinner thread! :biggrin:

and what a delicious post that was..... :biggrin:

simmered satoimo (Japanese taro)

same here!

and also, grilled kabocha with ponzu

brussels sprouts halved and sauteed with lots and lots of shallot and garlic and ginger, some soy sauce, sesame oil

miso soup with age (light strips of fried tofu) and daikon radish

japanese rice

napa cabbage pickle, cucumber pickle

Last evening, one-stop-and-that-stop-is-Trader Joe's: Pork loin slices, pounded to a fare-the-well and floured, egged, and then Parmigiano'd-Pecorino Romano'd before being gently fried in grapeseed oil until cooked through and crispy on the outside.

Served over risotto flavored with the few strands of saffron my little crocuses have provided thus far this season, the harvest of four or five blooms, enough to brightly, if not deeply, color and flavor the dish, which was extra-creamified so that the pork could be arrayed in repose upon it.

Whole little Nantes carrots, the only sort of little carrots which earn their keep flavorwise, in my experience, blanched and then glazed in butter, garlic, and a little brown sugar, salt & (loads of) pepper.

Nice Romaine salad with a vinaigrette of lovely green fruity nutty olive oil a friend brought from a recent visit to Liguria.

LBB seeded baguette, as usual the seeds providing a value-added experience beyond what logic would suggest. Saltylicious salted Plugra, not as saltylicious as salty Tillamook, but what TJ carries in the saltylicious category.

Rabbit Ridge 1998 Carignane, inexpensive and interesting, improving as the meal progressed.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

i931.jpg

i932.jpg

Some kinda fancy farfalle pasta tossed with Jim Dixon's cauliflower, breadcrumbs and olive oil.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host