• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Last evening for an early b.d. dinner for a friend, cheeseburgers. Grilled over hardwood charcoal. Usual condiment platter, usual fake In-n-Out sauce. For some reason everything extra good. Proper frites. Giant chocolate chip cookie candle conveyance, cut in wedges to serve.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Tuesday dinner:

chicken thigh and kabocha stirfry kicked up with some tonbanjian

kaiso (seaweed) salad with homemade (not by me) konnyaku and some iceberg

uri (gourd) pickles

miso soup with tofu and mizuna stems

Japanese rice

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

(Heather referred to the sauce as "some kind of spicy mayo crack" when she bought the chicken after we had lunch today. This after I opined that pig is made out of crack.)

Soba, have you put any of your Flilipino recipes in the recipe archive?

No, unfortunately, I haven't.

I don't really use precise amounts when I make these things. It's sort of feel as you go. I'm still in the process of tweaking the adobo so I can approximate it to as close as the version that my mom makes. Ditto for the dinuguan (pork and offal stew with vinegar, chiles and pig's blood) which I feel is much more difficult, precisely because my mom made it far less often than I'd have liked to. My mom's cooking, btw, is the benchmark that I use in evaluating any Filipino food that I come across.

Very few things pass that test. :hmmm:

I'll think about putting stuff into the archive though.

-----

Monday: Roasted cauliflower soup with pan-seared scallops and caviar (break up a head, drizzle with EVOO and a little salt, roast at 325 F for 45 minutes or thereabouts, let cool. saute onion, carrots and leeks in unsalted butter, add a bit of minced garlic if you want, saute until onions and leeks are translucent. add chicken stock. add a potato (for body). add cauliflower. adjust seasoning and simmer or until potato is cooked through. remove from heat and cool slightly. working in batches, puree soup in a food processor or blender. return to pot, add a splash of light cream, and adjust seasoning. for service: garnish with one or two scallops, a spoonful of caviar, and either minced scallions or chives). Green salad with white wine viniagrette. A baguette. Pellegrino.

Tonight: Leftover soup (no scallops). Stir-fried vegetables and tofu, with oyster sauce. Brown rice. Poached, sliced chicken breast with ginger-garlic paste. Iced green tea with honey and lemon.

Soba

Tteokbokki (Korean soft rice cakes in a spicy chile sauce)

Margaret,

did you see this thread?

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...=28253&hl=tteok

is what you made similar to what I am talking about? if so do you have a recipe? :biggrin:

Actually, reading that thread at work yesterday is what gave me the craving for it. Sticky chewy rice cakes.

As for a recipe, I do it pretty much the same way as explained in the link on that thread. Big spoon of kochujang, shoyu, sugar, salt, some ground red pepper, all blended with some water until the proportions are right. I like mine a bit on the sweet side.

Last evening, more of the Baja bay scallops from (non-union) Bristol Farms. Scallops, quartered little Creminis, bit of minced white onion, sauteed, white wine/cream sauce resulting -- a Coquilles St. Jacques trip.

Quenelles of Duchess-style potatoes around the edge, inspired by Malawry's quenelleology at Varmint's Shindig ... was going to pipe them out, you know, trad, but lookit, quenelles appeared instead!

Nice Romaine salad with white wine vinegar-grapeseed oil vinaigrette, touch of truffle oil in among the grapeseed.

LBB Italian sourdough.

Bonny Doon L'Etoile Muscat.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Tuesday dinner:

pork chops sauteed and deglazed with white wine eGCI stock, shallots and garlic;

leftover mushroom risotto;

and broccoli

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Last night:

- Roast chicken rubbed with hoisin and apple cider vinegar and stuffed with a lemon and half a fatalii chile.

- green beans sauteed in peanut oil with ginger, orange zest, and whole thai chiles

- green salad with ponzu-lemon vinaigrette

Monday night:

- seared (still cool in the center) tuna steak with soy-wasabi mayonnaise and sriracha

- shrimp baked on a bed of sea salt and seasoned with orange, fatalii chiles, and cilantro

- red potatoes parboiled, cut into batons, and baked with lots of sea salt and lemon zest

- asparagus sauteed briefly in peanut oil (spiked with a drop of sesame oil) with diced red peppers.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Tuesday night I made jumbo shrimp and scallops in green curry sauce, extra lime on top (I like that for some reason) with sauteed greenbeans, and just for the hell of it, some peas.

I had it all over brown jasmine rice from Trader Joes. The rice, according to package instructions was very dry so I'll add more water to the rice cooker next time.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Tuesday Dinner:

Made the roasted cauliflower from the Heartland event until they were nicely browned and crispy and used them as "croutons" for a roasted squash soup. Drizzled a little truffle oil on top and dinner was done.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Chicken sammie: layered Swiss, chicken, S&P, red onion, blue cheese (now available in slices!) on ciabatta. Wrapped in foil and baked until gooey. Was going to put bacon on after it came out of the oven, but The Boyfriend and visiting neighbor dove on it and said it was not necessary.

I got a couple of bites. :angry:

Way too much red wine on a not very full stomach. :wacko:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

This is becoming a favorite dinner here...

Tofu satays with peanut sauce and cucumber salad

Americanized pad thai with vegetables and shrimp

Gingery pak choy

Pineapple for dessert.

Tuesday dinner:

kimchee soup with onions, pork, tofu and nira (garlic chives)

salmon kama-yaki (grilled collar)

gobo (burdock root) and carrot salad with a mayo-sesame dressing

Japanese rice beefed up with a 5 grain mix

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Forgot to take pictures at last night's dinner for 5:

Really good peanuts

Garlic-roasted potatoes

Bisteya-inspired stuffed squash (delicata squash stuffed with scrambled egg, apples, onions, almonds, and cinnamon)

Pan-seared cumin-crusted salmon

Spinach in tahini-vinegar sauce

Shiitake mushrooms and broccoli

Ginger carrots

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Pounded flat and thin then breaded and pan fried. Finished in the oven topped with some tomato sauce and Parmesan.

Served it with Linguine tossed with garlic butter, chilli and parsley.

Sesame seed brittle (BTW does anyone have a good way to get the brittle really thin without using an offset knife which I do not have??)

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Sesame seed brittle (BTW does anyone have a good way to get the brittle really thin without using an offset knife which I do not have??)

Back of a knife?

Good to have offset spatulas.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Bisteya-inspired stuffed squash (delicata squash stuffed with scrambled egg, apples, onions, almonds, and cinnamon) 

:wub:

Would you be willing to share your recipe?

This was entirely improvised, so it'll be pretty inexact:

Ingredients:

2 delicata squash

1 onion, diced

1 apple, diced

4 eggs

about 1/2 c almonds, chopped

about 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon

olive oil

Bake Sqaush:

Halve squash lengthwise, remove the seeds and stringy stuff, rub cut sides with olive oil, and bake cut sides up at 350 until soft and just starting to be brown around the edges, about 30 minutes.

Make filling:

Saute onions in olive oil over medium heat until soft and fragrant. Toss in the eggs, and cook until done. Dump egg and onion mixture in a bowl with the apples, almonds, and however much cinnamon you want.

Pile the filling in the squash halves (I ended up with about a cup of extra filling). Put them back in the oven and bake until the filling is warm, about 10 minutes.

The filling wasn't very sticky, so it sort of fell apart while eating.. next time I would try stirring in some ricotta cheese or yogurt or something like that.

Bonny Doon L'Etoile Muscat.

I just got a bottle of the L'Etoile Muscat but have yet to open it. Still thinking about what to have on the menu when I do drink it. Did you like it?

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN