• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Real Wasabi

DaveFaris

5 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

For sure (Nijiya has it). You can use instacart to see if any stores have it close to where you live.

I looked at every wasabi-labeled product at Nijiya that I could call up, and there was nothing but fake wasabi items or items that was said to contain real wasabi but which was adulterated with numerous other, often polysyllabic-named, ingredients.

Instacart wasn't much better. although I did find one product made by Sushi Sonic that was 100% freeze-dried wasabi.  It seems to be widely available, both online and in some local markets.  If someone is looking for this, be careful, as they have another product, in an almost identical container, that's only 51% wasabi, with the balance being horseradish and mustard.

... Shel

2 hours ago, Shel_B said:

I looked at every wasabi-labeled product at Nijiya that I could call up, and there was nothing but fake wasabi items or items that was said to contain real wasabi but which was adulterated with numerous other, often polysyllabic-named, ingredients.

That is the case for 98% of "wasabi", even in Japan. Even when they do contain some real wasabi it's usually in trace amounts, listed last or near to last in the ingredients (see the S&B powder image posted by @Tropicalsenior above. The safest way is to buy the rhizome, if possible, and grate it yourself. Of course you'll also want a genuine sharkskin grater for that.

Here's mine

sharkskingrater.thumb.jpg.e6dd79f3ae376ebc3d8d6926e49befe7.jpg

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, Shel_B said:

It doesn't, already checked.  Maybe in San Francisco's Japanese neighborhood, but driving or public transit to the area would be a last resort.

I assume you have tried Tokyo Market and Ranch 99? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

Out of curiosity: why do you want to buy „real“ wasabi ?

To experiment with and explore new-to-me flavors, textures, and techniques.  Thinking about tradition and how it's changed over time, and to use traditional flavors and techniques in my cooking. To offer my guests something they've not tried before.

• Like 2

... Shel

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

The safest way is to buy the rhizome, if possible, and grate it yourself. Of course you'll also want a genuine sharkskin grater for that.

Here's mine

sharkskingrater.thumb.jpg.e6dd79f3ae376ebc3d8d6926e49befe7.jpg

What are the dimensions of your grater?  I have big hands and want a grater that's comfortable to hold and use.  Any advice?

... Shel

ive had real wasabi twice.

grated from the rhizome at the table .

its flavor is very interesting , and changes in a few minutes  , 2 - 3 

from the grated amount .  in 2 -3 minutes its still interesting  , but not the same as the first tastes.

its expensive to manufacture ,as it grows in a ' pond like ' aquaculture  it seems 

like lilly pads .  and the environment is tightly controlled it seems .

trying to extract every dollar , Im guessing that there is dried powdered leaf and stem.

never tasted those fresh

but based on what i tasted , and how it changed in minutes 

my guess is that dried powdered genuine rhizome  is also going to be different 

from freshly grated .

thus the expense of getting fresh rhizome  

vs powdered  rhizome , leaf and stem.

let us know where you buy the fresh rhizome 

consider taking some pics of what you get 

and  what you freshly grate 

if you get some powdered , please also describe the various kinds and 

their taste differenced .

you might be the only one on eG  with that information .

also , when you share w your guests , what do they say about the fresh stuff ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

What are the dimensions of your grater?  I have big hands and want a grater that's comfortable to hold and use.  Any advice?

They come in various sizes.

mmexport7cdeb7b6288cb0e3ba21f010d1016e04_1719164640745.jpeg.baf49098aa60ff7f37e1b396c9aa4226.jpeg

mmexport71065ac7f46e3f8a27424ce3246d4712_1719164647906.jpeg.48028d329542726217b80a8b0ca62af0.jpeg

mmexport2d488e03e0db47269b4d3be13c53a3f8_1719164652129.jpeg.1f983ec7ea858e824a311363e7ad0aff.jpeg

mmexport487f311f14343bea6b4212758fd483c3_1719164658026.jpeg.1ce3121d64b66092e162962e1c562817.jpeg

I have the second one. I live alone and that one suits me fine.I never need to grate much.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

ive had real wasabi twice.

grated from the rhizome at the table .

its flavor is very interesting , and changes in a few minutes  , 2 - 3 

from the grated amount .  in 2 -3 minutes its still interesting  , but not the same as the first tastes.

its expensive to manufacture ,as it grows in a ' pond like ' aquaculture  it seems 

like lilly pads .  and the environment is tightly controlled it seems .

trying to extract every dollar , Im guessing that there is dried powdered leaf and stem.

never tasted those fresh

but based on what i tasted , and how it changed in minutes 

my guess is that dried powdered genuine rhizome  is also going to be different 

from freshly grated .

thus the expense of getting fresh rhizome  

vs powdered  rhizome , leaf and stem.

let us know where you buy the fresh rhizome 

consider taking some pics of what you get 

and  what you freshly grate 

if you get some powdered , please also describe the various kinds and 

their taste differenced .

you might be the only one on eG  with that information .

also , when you share w your guests , what do they say about the fresh stuff ?

I'm just starting my investigation into how wasabi is grown here in the US and Canada.  Thus far, and in part with suggestions here, I've found five US and Canadian growers, one of which is a short drive south of me.  It's an easy day trip and the farm is located in a scenic area with some nice restaurants and other amenities.

I'm starting to read some articles and blog posts to get a better understanding of how wasabi is cultivated and what to look for and consider when buying and using wasabi, including, perhaps, uses and recipes beyond just as an accompaniment to raw fish.  After reading  these articles, I'd like to drive down to purchase some rhizomes, leaves, and stems, and start experimenting a bit.  At this point I don't even know if such a visit would be acceptable to the growers but that should be easy to find out.

https://californiagrown.org/blog/learn-how-real-wasabi-is-grown/

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Indeed, it’s Half Moon Bay Wasabi, the same place I sent you the info about earlier that sells to Nijiya and high end restaurants.

https://hmbwasabi.com

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

why not post the entire trip 

reviews,  pics  etc on the 

Food Traditions & Culture

thread ?

''''    

Culture, tradition, history, discoveries, and culinary travel not limited to one region. Lifestyles, diet and nutrition; food mores, etiquette and entertaining.  '''

looking forward to it , as Im sure many others are !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

From ”driving as a last resort” to a full-on wasabi day trip. :D

@FrogPrincesse, A drive to Half Moon Bay is pleasant and filled with nice scenery and enjoyable side trips.  I could even make an overnight trip out of it and stay at one or another nice B&Bs.  Plus, I can enjoy the company of one or another companions for a drive to HMB, not so easily accomplished for a run into San Francisco to a grocery store. 

A trip to San Francisco is not so enjoyable. The traffic is often annoying and unpleasant, parking is difficult or expensive, and the scenery offers little that is uplifting to the senses.  To avoid the unpleasantness of taking a car into SF, more than likely I'd take public transit, a less than stellar experience and one for which finding a companion would be unlikely.

• Like 1

... Shel

24 minutes ago, rotuts said:

why not post the entire trip 

reviews,  pics  etc on the 

Food Traditions & Culture

thread ?

''''    

Culture, tradition, history, discoveries, and culinary travel not limited to one region. Lifestyles, diet and nutrition; food mores, etiquette and entertaining.  '''

looking forward to it , as Im sure many others are !

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves ...

... Shel

4 hours ago, Shel_B said:

I'm just starting my investigation into how wasabi is grown here in the US and Canada.  Thus far, and in part with suggestions here, I've found five US and Canadian growers, one of which is a short drive south of me.  It's an easy day trip and the farm is located in a scenic area with some nice restaurants and other amenities.

I'm starting to read some articles and blog posts to get a better understanding of how wasabi is cultivated and what to look for and consider when buying and using wasabi, including, perhaps, uses and recipes beyond just as an accompaniment to raw fish.  After reading  these articles, I'd like to drive down to purchase some rhizomes, leaves, and stems, and start experimenting a bit.  At this point I don't even know if such a visit would be acceptable to the growers but that should be easy to find out.

https://californiagrown.org/blog/learn-how-real-wasabi-is-grown/

Do they allow visits?  Didn't see anything about that on their site.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

4 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Just above the link that you clicked on to get to the site, I wrote:

At this point I don't even know if such a visit would be acceptable to the growers but that should be easy to find out.

... Shel

23 hours ago, mgaretz said:

@mgaretz, I called them this morning and got an answering machine. I left a brief and direct message describing my interest.  Now we wait.  If I don't hear back from them by mid-week, I'll try again through their online contact form.

... Shel

21 hours ago, Shel_B said:

@mgaretz, I called them this morning and got an answering machine. I left a brief and direct message describing my interest.  Now we wait.  If I don't hear back from them by mid-week, I'll try again through their online contact form.

If you go, try to pick up some wasabi leaves, too. I haven't tried them but I read they are interesting greens with some of the wasabi root snap to them.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

54 minutes ago, haresfur said:

If you go, try to pick up some wasabi leaves, too. I haven't tried them but I read they are interesting greens with some of the wasabi root snap to them.

Interesting that you mentioned this. Last night I happened to be watching some older episodes of MasterChef Australia and one of the contestants had to feature wasabi. Billie made a beef tartare that utilized the wasabi plant in several ways and the judges all loved  her wasabi leaf tempura! 

Here's the video from the episode (though unfortunately via Facebook, so some may not be able to view):

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1185637652291859

But here's her recipe!

https://10play.com.au/masterchef/recipes/wasabi-beef-tartare/r220531rsqwx

• Like 1