• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wasabi crumble?

MaryIsobel

My sister and her son who both really enjoy food will be visiting soon. Since I have easy access to sashimi grade tuna and they don't, I want to come up with something unique, not found in a sushi joint but I'm not into gastriques or foams or the like. I'll probabyl keep it simple but an idea flashed into my mind to do a traditional poke-like marinated cubes of tuna in a pretty typical treatment of soya, ginger, sesame oil, etc but to top it pickled shredded beets (which I had recently - divine!) with a wasabi crumble for a little crunch. My first thought was crushed wasabi peas but I would love to hear an elevated idea if anyone has one. It doesn't have to be a main, could be an appy or just a taste. My sister and I tend to do a lot of grazing when visiting one another because we have so many things we want to try out on each other.

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 1

I think it was @liamsauntwho showed them as a coating on a fish dish in her off shore travels. I love them for both crunch, heat & texture. My caution would be (in my opinion) not to mask good fish.  But soy + ginger + sesame oil gets pretty taste overwhelming. You could put it on tilapia and get a rave. So maybe keep it simple IF your fish quality is good.

1 hour ago, heidih said:

I think it was @liamsauntwho showed them as a coating on a fish dish in her off shore travels. I love them for both crunch, heat & texture. My caution would be (in my opinion) not to mask good fish.  But soy + ginger + sesame oil gets pretty taste overwhelming. You could put it on tilapia and get a rave. So maybe keep it simple IF your fish quality is good.

True, but I would just do a hint of the above, not bathe the tuna in it. I just like that flavour combo. I go particularily easy on the sesame oil, I'm talking a drop or two. It definitely overwhelms everything really easily!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Soy, ginger (and garlic) are almost obligatory in all fish dishes here. Sesame oil is only ever used sparingly as a condiment on the finished dish; never during the cooking process.

11 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I'll probabyl keep it simple but an idea flashed into my mind to do a traditional poke-like marinated cubes of tuna in a pretty typical treatment of soya, ginger, sesame oil, etc but to top it pickled shredded beets (which I had recently - divine!) with a wasabi crumble for a little crunch.

Luckily, no cooking involved 😉

11 hours ago, Duvel said:

My suggestion would be to use a base recipe for horseradish crumble (plenty out there - e.g. here) and „enrich“ with commercial wasabi paste … would that work for you ?

I hadn't heard of horseradish crumble but that is definitely close to what I thought I dreamed up - thanks. I should have been more clear on the beets, they were very thinly spiralized - gorgeous both visually and texturally.

• Like 1

I never heard of horseradish crumble, and after doing a google search, I can confidently say, I am glad i never heard of it, and wished i had not wasted my time searching. Please do not ruin good raw salmon/tuna with a breadcrumb topping. If you want a crunchy element might i suggest using deep fried shallots.

Edited by FeChef (log)

11 minutes ago, FeChef said:

I never heard of horseradish crumble, and after doing a google search, I can confidently say, I am glad i never heard of it, and wished i had not wasted my time searching. Please do not ruin good raw salmon/tuna with a breadcrumb topping. If you want a crunchy element might i suggest using deep fried shallots.

Not planning on a topping per se, just a bit of a crunchy element.

27 minutes ago, FeChef said:

I usually make my own, but those sound tasty with the garlic.

I'd make my own or just get from Indian or Viet market but my mobility and kitchen access are limited. Oddly my latest morning delight is toasted English muffin, drizzled with local honey, sprinkled with that product and topped with a soft egg. I am the perhaps odd sweet + savory person. Oh the joys of only having to plkease your palate though as a family cook I was more please individual tastes - like @liamsaunt

Edited by heidih (log)

3 minutes ago, heidih said:

I'd make my own or just get from Indian or Viet market but my mobility and kitchen access are limited. Oddly my latest morning delight is toasted English muffin, drizzled with local honey, sprinkled with that product and topped with a soft egg. I am the perhaps odd sweet + savory person. Oh the joys of only having to plkease your palate though as a family cook I was more please individual tastes - like @liamsaunt

Odd? Negative. My breakfast sandwich is sometimes fried chicken breast with bacon and drizzled with maple syrup on a homemade belgium waffle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Agree, not odd at all. My favorite sweet/savory breakfast treat is some kind of rustic loaf with slices toasted and buttered. Then topped with a blanket of ricotta, generously salted and peppered, and finished with a drizzle of honey or sorghum. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I hadn't heard of horseradish crumble but that is definitely close to what I thought I dreamed up - thanks. I should have been more clear on the beets, they were very thinly spiralized - gorgeous both visually and texturally.

Please also have a look at this idea - maybe not exactly in your poke direction, but maybe served with a ponzu/sesame dip ..?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Please also have a look at this idea - maybe not exactly in your poke direction, but maybe served with a ponzu/sesame dip ..?

Thank you for that Duvel! Just goes to show you that sometimes you just need a little jolt to get you out of your mindset. This looks perfect and I will definitely do this!

• Thanks 1

@MaryIsobel The ideas above sound really good. It would never have occured to me to use crushed wasabi peas to make a crunchy coating but I like the idea. I like fresh sushi-grade Ahi tuna just about any way it can be prepared, raw or otherwise, as long as it isn't overcooked. 

One way we like it is patties or burgers, although we don't use bread or buns. Have your fish nice and cold and use a sharp knife to cut it into small cubes, like maybe a quarter inch square. Mix the tuna with some chopped scallions, a little grated ginger, chopped cilantro and a finely minced Thai chile if you are inclined, and salt and pepper. Mix in a little bit of mayonnaise. The original recipe I use calls for 2 Tbsp mayo for one pound of sushi-grade tuna; I think that's too much. I use just enough to hold the burgers together; they will still be very delicate. After forming the patties put them in the fridge for an hour of two to help them keep their shape. In a non-stick pan melt butter and/or oil of choice (rice bran oil would be perfect) on medium heat.  Saute gently for s minute or two on each side, so the interior is just warmed.

Serve it with a light vinegary sauce or anything else that appeals .I like to serve it with store-bought seaweed salad.My husband likes it with a side of seasoned creme fraiche, like an Asian version of tartar sauce. Maybe this is an opportunity for sprinkling of the much maligned furikake! I suppose you could dip the burgers in a little panko before they go in the pan, but I don't bother. Just turn them carefully. Alternatively you could coat them in black and white sesame seeds or maybe that crunchy wasabi stuff. 

• Thanks 1