• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Giardiniera – What do I do with it?

mskerr

Giardinia, spicy pickled veggies, Italian style, right? puree with juicy tomatoes for a zippy gazpatcho, no? Just a thought...

A dab of the puree on a deviled egg; strain out the liquid, mix with vodka and give it a cool name? I don't much like it when it's the whole megillah, but oh do I love the cauliflower!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Get a nice glass of your favorite beer, good and cold. Get some delicious fresh Italian bread and the best butter. Put out a bowl of the veggies. Eat a few veggies. Take a bite of lavishly buttered bread. Have a sip of cold beer. Enjoy the view. Repeat to replete.

Giardinia, spicy pickled veggies, Italian style, right? puree with juicy tomatoes for a zippy gazpatcho, no? Just a thought...

A dab of the puree on a deviled egg; strain out the liquid, mix with vodka and give it a cool name? I don't much like it when it's the whole megillah, but oh do I love the cauliflower!

All great ideas! I love pickle juices in Bloody Mary's, so maybe I will try giardiniera juice next. Gazpacho sounds great, and right up my alley since I currently have more tomatoes in the garden than I know what to do with.

Nothing wrong with just eating it straight, as a pickle on your sandwich plate. And isn't it one of the standard fixings on a Chicago Italian beef sandwich?

I shlepped it to Al's #1 Beef in Chicago from the west coast and forgot to order the sweet and hot pepper mix. Any tips on how to approximate it?

Get a nice glass of your favorite beer, good and cold. Get some delicious fresh Italian bread and the best butter. Put out a bowl of the veggies. Eat a few veggies. Take a bite of lavishly buttered bread. Have a sip of cold beer. Enjoy the view. Repeat to replete.

Sounds right up my alley. Maybe some cured Italian pork and cheese too?

It's good in a sandwich to add a little extra kick. I had it recently in a pork belly sandwich with arugula and confit tomatoes... delicious.

Cheers, sounds delicious.

I've had it on Italian beef sandwiches (the bun was garlic toast!). It's awesome. Plus, if there's any juice, you sop it up with your bun/bread.

"Food processorize" it, drain off any juice then add to a green salad or cottage cheese.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver