• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need some direct advice on knives, cookware, and utensils.

Eyeage

I'd be less worried about making sure that coupon can be used on everything you buy, than about making sure you get the stuff that will work for you (even if it can't be coupon-discounted). If you're thinking about knives, before you make a decision on what brand, make a point of actually holding each one, and seeing if you like the way it feels in your hand. (As it turns out, I personally can't stand the Global handles and find them unbearably slick, especially if my hands are the least bit wet.) Sometimes, what works in a paring knife does not work as well in a larger knife, so you may prefer different brands for different purposes. And, if it turns out that the knife you really like is in a coupon-restricted brand, so what? It's gift-money anyway, and it sounds like you have a lot of that to play with. Better to get something that you really like than stress over saving a few bucks, especially for something as critical as a knife.

If I were trying to spend money at BB&B and regularly cooked for just two people, I'd get a Breville Smart Oven (heck, I did just that about 9 months ago!) and use at least some of the rest on cookware that will fit inside it, such as a metal 9" square pan, maybe a quarter sheet pan and rack and Silpat to fit it, a Pyrex deep dish pie plate. To that, I'd add things like a good-but-cheap nonstick frying pan (because they never last too long anyway), a pasta pot with perforated insert if you like to make pasta, more utensils like pancake flippers and spatulas that won't scratch nonstick surfaces than you think you'll need, silicone spatulas, a good vegetable peeler, several cutting boards to help save your good knives, glasses and serving plates if you can find ones you like there, maybe a coffee maker if you're a coffee drinker, and storage containers for leftovers.

Just my $0.02.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

To directly answer your first post:

The Globals aredecent knives. Do you like how they feel in your hands?

Both Calphalon and All-Clad have good reputations. I have a couple of Calphalon pots, and like them a lot.

However, I'd also repeat that you will probably not use most of a set of pots and pans. You could get by with just a good chef's knife and a parer.

When I got "serious" about cooking some years ago, I looked at what we shad used for years from what we received for our wedding. There were 6 things way at the top of the list. A very good Sabatier chef's knife, and steel. A decent maple cutting board. From a large set of Revere ware pots and pans, the biggest pot for boiling pasta, etc. and a big colander. A 2 cup measuring cup. Close runner ups were cast-off stuff from my mother, such as a Le Creuset enameled cast iron skillet, a spatula, an old box grater, a couple of sheet pans, and a set of measuring spoons. And the two mixing bowsl that we had not managed to drop over a period of decades.

We had by that time burnt thru several electric skillets, slow cookers, and toasters. Between work and 4 kids, those got lots and lots of use.

Think thru what you might like to cook, or what you might have to cook. Hosting a Thanksgiving dinner? You'll most likely need a turkey roaster and a serving platter. It would also be nice to have a food saver for the leftovers.

One thing I wish we had received was a pressure cooker. Back then, they were hard to use. The newer models are pretty much explosion proof. I would readily exchange 5 or 6 pots and pans for a fine pressure cooker. You will never want to buy soup again, and if you need pureed food, aka baby food, a few minutes using a pressure cooker will make weeks worth.

I understand what people are saying. Trust me, I do hear you. Our budget is finite, but not destitute. My "job" is to get the most bang for the buck with our store credit. I am interested in maximizing our store credit WHILE equipping our kitchen. As a previous poster said, $1000 isn't enough to furnish our kitchen, but maybe I can make it livable. :) That said, maximizing the savings is the only prudent thing to do at a store where 90% of everything is overpriced. There are much cheaper outlets to buy things for our kitchen, and thus we have arrived to our predicament: Get the best stuff that we'll use at the best price with our credit. I'm probably asking too much of this forum, as I'm the "new guy". That said, I find people with knowledge generally like to share it, hence my posting here.

So far I've gotten a lot of good information. Dutch oven, cast iron, 1 good knife, spatulas, wooden spoons, etc. I'm listening to what people are saying, and incorporating it into our shopping list.

This may seem like a no-brainer to experienced cooks, but I need to ask it anyway. It's regarding the cookware set.

Out of:

8-in. Omelette Pan

10-in. Omelette Pan

12-in. Omelette Pan

1.5-qt. Covered Sauce Pan

2.5-qt. Covered Sauce Pan

3-qt. Covered Saute Pan

3-qt. Covered Chef's Pan

6-qt. Covered Stockpot Feature

12-in Covered Everyday pan

What of those would I use? What wouldn't I? What of those pieces should be replaced with something else? The reason I ask is a fairly simple one, and based on a post above "if you get the set for the same price as the pieces you need, then it's a good idea". I know the prices of each of the items in the set. So this is my, litmus test of sorts.

Based on previous responses, I need:

CI skillet

Dutch Oven

1 non-stick pan

What else along the lines of pans? I can understand the idea of foregoing the "coupon", a little. I like the idea of holding the knives, as it seems to be a good judge of what I'll like, I just can't justify buying anything at BBB without a coupon because I can go elsewhere and get it cheaper.

Again, a BIG thank you to everyone posting on here. I know I'm asking a lot and your information is golden to me. Let me also restate something: I'm neurotic about research and getting the best deal possible, frugality is my middle name. Forgive me for that.

Glass cooktops (I think that's what you mean..?) are excellent, one of the topics addressed by eG's Dave the Cook in Flameout. I use a big oval Le Creuset Dutch oven on a glass cooktop all the time, and it hasn't scratched yet; I'm just careful to not drag it (or any other pan) over the surface.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

They often ignore the coupon restrictions.

I assumed this was done by the system. Thank you for this! The brick and mortar only have wusthof, zwilling, and calphalon knives to test. The rest are online. I'll have to go to another store to "feel" these knives, but I'm willing to do some legwork.

Also, let me ask another question. A couple have suggested the smart oven. What advantage does a toaster oven have that I'm not aware of? Thanks. :)

It works great and is very versatile. Preheats much faster than my full size gas oven, which I hardly ever use anymore. Search for it here and you'll find a full thread on it.

Be sure to get the big one.

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

This may seem like a no-brainer to experienced cooks, but I need to ask it anyway. It's regarding the cookware set.

Out of:

8-in. Omelette Pan

10-in. Omelette Pan

12-in. Omelette Pan

3-qt. Covered Saute Pan

3-qt. Covered Chef's Pan

What of those would I use? What wouldn't I?

I got a set like that when I got married, and most of the pieces just cluttered up my kitchen until I finally hauled them off to Goodwill. What you REALLY need will depend on what you like to cook, how elaborate your projects are, how many people you will be cooking for, etc. That information will be revealed to you as time goes on. People are trying to steer you towards buying high-quality basic items that most cooks actually use.

I got a set like that when I got married, and most of the pieces just cluttered up my kitchen until I finally hauled them off to Goodwill. What you REALLY need will depend on what you like to cook, how elaborate your projects are, how many people you will be cooking for, etc. That information will be revealed to you as time goes on. People are trying to steer you towards buying high-quality basic items that most cooks actually use.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of what I "need". I have a large kitchen, things won't get cluttered. I cook primarily for two, but we have friends over for dinner. Again, I've made due with what I have for years, and rarely is there a complaint about my food. I'm just trying to see what people think the most important items to upgrade are. That seems to have been lost in the ramble.

At this point I'm about to let the wife go crazy with the terrible window treatments BBB has and wave goodbye to the idea of upgrading the kitchen. Seems like my question has gone awry.

Edited by Eyeage (log)

. . . .

Out of:

8-in. Omelette Pan

10-in. Omelette Pan

12-in. Omelette Pan

3-qt. Covered Saute Pan

3-qt. Covered Chef's Pan

What of those would I use? What wouldn't I? What of those pieces should be replaced with something else? The reason I ask is a fairly simple one, and based on a post above "if you get the set for the same price as the pieces you need, then it's a good idea". I know the prices of each of the items in the set. So this is my, litmus test of sorts.

Based on previous responses, I need:

CI skillet

Dutch Oven

1 non-stick pan

. . . .

Research is great. My boyfriend and I spend absurd amounts of time trying to determine what is 'perfect' for our needs (the previously mentioned Dutch oven was a major bargain, and I stood there in the shop, clutching it, while my boyfriend compared prices online, and we debated how much we'd actually use it); we spend substantial portions of our holidays in cookware shops, and return home with things no sane person would try to stuff into a plane carryon.

The posts and pans: Of what you have, what do you use a lot now? If you never use something, it probably isn't worth upgrading. If you use something a lot, and it works fine, stick with what you have, and look to upgrade elsewhere.

Is there an expiry date on that certificate? If you have the time, allow yourself it.

Do you tend to make a lot of big batches of food, and freeze/refrigerate for upcoming days?

Do you make small, on the spot things? How big are the burners on your stove?

Are there certain kinds of things you really enjoy?

Your requirements and tastes are certainly going to evolve, but they're not going to change altogether, so where you are now can tell you some important things about what you'll find useful in the future.

Especially when it comes to saute pans, there's a good chance you won't need more than one, but your standard batch size should direct your decision about which size to get. It's never occurred to me to get an omelette pan, but we never seem to need one; a skillet is a good idea, since it's versatile, and you can use it for omelettes, too. I don't care for non-stick pans, and never seem to miss having one, regardless of what I make in a pan.

A stockpot is great if you actually make stock, or steamed puddings, or batches of soup that are big enough to fill the pot. I use one quite often but this doesn't make it a 'must' for everyone.

Not sure what an 'everyday pan' is, but it sounds like the sort of things that's supposed to be useful for everything, but ends up being sort of inefficient at everything.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I make soups, chili, etc. I make stir-fry. I make eggs. I make sauces. I make pizza (I am very particular about pizza). I make chicken, pork, beef, fish, etc in a number of ways, and I'm always looking for new recipes to try. I bake a lot (and our bake ware is adequate).

I have 3 different sizes of burners on my stove. small, medium, large, and Large/small combo.

What I use now, skillets, stockpot, sauce pans. I have about 15 different pieces cookware for the stove, and use all of them at one time or another. Depending on what I'm making and the size of what I'm making (I cook for 1-8 people depending on the day).

That said, I'd love to have cookware I can take from the stove and plop in the oven. This is something that is a must from my new items (at least one or two of them).

I'd like an attractive set of pans too, we have a really nice kitchen, with wal-mart tools (half my handles wobble, etc). I hate cooking when guests are over because of this.

I have nice processing knives too, rather, they're sharp. They aren't pretty. Definitely not something I would use in my kitchen for several reasons.

Wanted to address that question before it was posed.

Edited by Eyeage (log)

I'm surprised that nobody here has mentioned cast-iron cookware. If you can get your paws on even one pan and then take care of it, it's good for a lifetime of largely hassle-free cooking no matter what level you're at. A basic 12" cast iron skillet with a lid (even if you buy the lid separately) is crazy versatile and can be used in place of more than half of the pans you've listed above.

I'm a pastry chef professionally, which for me at least means that in the dinner arena I'm all about basic, easy, fast, and tasty meals. So, while I have about 200 cake pans of varying sizes and compositions in the bakery, I have only two pans in my kitchen: a 12" cast iron skillet with a lid, and an 8" round-bottomed drop-forged iron pan that I use as a wok. You can have them when you pry them from my cold dead hands - almost everything else in the dinner kitchen is dispensable.

Edited to clarify what types of pan I'm talking about.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Also, let me ask another question. A couple have suggested the smart oven. What advantage does a toaster oven have that I'm not aware of? Thanks. :)

I have one and loove it. It isn't really a toaster oven, it is a tabletop convection oven that toasts beautifully.

It is faster to heat than my oven, Has perfectly calibrated temps. Doesn't heat up the kitchen. Will cook medium sized baking pans- plenty big enough for say, scallopped potatoes to serve 4. Great for cookies, corn bread etc etc.

There are two sizes. Get the bigger one.

I think the 2 most important knives are a chef's knife and a paring knife. Then, a good bread knife. BB&B's knife selections are fairly limited.

A ceramic or smooth steel is a necessity with knives and a way to sharpen them. A knife block to store them (or a magnet, etc.) and an excellent cutting board will last forever. This is a beaut but it would be nicer if they had a 2" thick one.

I'd get a good set of whisks (Rosle or OXO) and whatever OXO and Kuhn Rikon things you need; peelers, lemon squeezer, etc.

A set of Le Crueset silicon spatulas.

A Kitchen Aid or Breville stick blender.

Capresso water kettle.

Zojirushi 10-cup rice cooker.

The top of the line T-Fal nonstick pans are great and will last a while before you need new ones. Don't spend more on nonstick than this - they are basically all throw away at some point. You can get an 8", 10" and 12" pan for $50.

I'm not a big fan of the current All-Clad stuff. Not as good as it used to be.

This Mauviel roasting pan is gorgeous (but may not be included in the offers). They do carry some Sitram stuff as well as some other Mauviel.

Silpats.

Lodge cast iron stuff is inexpensive and will last forever.

A couple dozen flour sack kitchen towels.

Microplane.

OXO Food Mill.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

"What I use now, skillets, stockpot, sauce pans."

There's your answer. If BB&B will let you, get the best you can of each one. If you can't, the All-Clad set is functional and beautiful.

+2 about getting your hand on whatever knife you want to buy. I'm just a home cook, too, sometimes feeding 12. Sometimes more. The amount of time spent slicing, dicing, carving, etc is significant. A balance between the blade and the handle that does not feel good to you will make cooking a chore. And a poor "fit and finish," where the various parts do not meet smoothly will render even a good blade clumsy.

NY Times columnist Mark Bittman had an article some time ago that was useful. It described how to have a decently equipped kitchen for about $300. You might look that up, and try to buy better versions of what is listed in the article.

There's your answer. If BB&B will let you, get the best you can of each one. If you can't, the All-Clad set is functional and beautiful.

I find a lot of it to be overpriced, made in China crap.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I find a lot of it to be overpriced, made in China crap.

U'm, yeah, but it appears the OP has a freebie to stuff at BB&B. I would not be surprised that All-Clad is trading on its name. Is there something else at BB&B that beats it?