• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need some direct advice on knives, cookware, and utensils.

Eyeage

I'm not following why you think enamel wouldn't scratch a glass cooktop but iron would.

Enamel is harder than iron. More brittle, but harder. Wipe stove top clean, keep bottom of pan clean, dont slide pan or smack it down onto the top.

You got the pans you want, at a price that works for you. Happy for you.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I'm not following why you think enamel wouldn't scratch a glass cooktop but iron would.

Enamel is harder than iron. More brittle, but harder. Wipe stove top clean, keep bottom of pan clean, dont slide pan or smack it down onto the top.

Because cast iron has exposed carbide crystals, which is almost as hard as diamond.

dcarch

Because cast iron has exposed carbide crystals, which is almost as hard as diamond.

dcarch

If you don't slide the pan about, it makes no difference; I'm speaking from nearly a decade's worth of experience. If you slide pans about on a glass cooktop, you're going to get scratches, since there's almost always something lying about loose on the surface.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

dcarch

Yeah, I have a wife to worry about (she's definitely not the cook, but she cleans and does laundry, I am happy with this trade, until she tries putting my good stuff in the dishwasher). The enamel coating is smooth. But it's been suggested in multiple places that grabbing a drill with some 90 grit sand paper will get those edges off the bottom. I like the idea of seasoning. I may go to the salvation army/good will today and see if I can find a good old cast iron. :)

Also, I'm neurotic about cleaning the surface of our cooktop. It looks brand new. I wipe it after every cooking session and clean it with the cleaner once a week. So scratching would bug me, OCD perhaps, but it would. :P

.. cast iron has exposed carbide crystals, which is almost as hard as diamond.

dcarch

Huh. Learned something. The spouse just looked at me with that 'duh, everybody knows that' look. :biggrin:

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

To minmize cast iron cookware scratching glass/ceramic cook tops:

1. You can use fine grit wet/dry carbide sand paper to smooth the bottom.

or

2. Use silicone glue to put a few thin drops on the high points on the bottom of the cast iron cookware.

dcarch

For the cast iron skillet, you want a Lodge UNENAMELED at all ! You will have to season it. it will be a bit of a pain in the butt (but not a big one) to do that. You will have to treat it carefully once its seasoned, but its not onerous. You want it ALL CAST IRON, NO ENAMEL. No grinding. No buffing. None of that. Lodge. Look for Lodge. Or Wagner is a good second choice.

Note, you do not have to season the exterior, just the insides.

All Lodge cast iron sold in the US is now pre-seasoned so no need to worry about that part. Note that not all the labels make clear that it is pre-seasoned but, unless it's dead stock that's been sitting in your hardware store for many years, it is.

I've read this from the beginning.

1) Get a bunch of Oxo good grips stuff -- silicone spatulas, a grater, a zester, measuring cups, teaspoons. Basically, whatever you don't already have from the "essential" category. These aren't sexy like knives and blenders, but I reach for a spatula 50 times a day. Don't buy the unusual gadgets -- egg seperators and burger presses, for instance. See if BB&B has a Microplane in their gadgets sections. Can't go wrong with one of those.

2) Pyrex containers, Storage containers. Buy a lot of heavy "fridge to oven to table" containers. Also buy containers for AP Flour, bread flour, bread crumbs, sugar, etc. Bug-proof, humidity-proof containers for raw ingredients. I'd spend at least a couple hundred on this.

3) Does BB&B sell a fire extinguisher? If so, buy one if you don't have one already. May you never need it.

4) Tea towels/bar rags. Buy a stack of them. Home cooks NEVER have enough towels.

5) Nice wine glasses. BB&B sells Riedel. The glass doesn't really effect the taste. But I still like a nice wine glass.

6) Souffle crocks, ramekins, escargot crock, et cetera. All those ceramic baking items. Of course, if you don't eat snails you can skip the escargot crock. But everyone uses ramekins. And a souffle crock makes a dandy serving of mac and cheese. It's better to buy this stuff at a restaurant supply store. But then again, it's better to buy ALL this stuff at a restaurant supply store. You're just trying to blow through some gift certificates.

7) A stick blender. I know BB&B sells a cuisinart set which also features a useful "mini food processor" attachment.

8) AND I CAN'T STRESS THIS ONE ENOUGH -- A food mill. Forget the food processors, blenders, and everything else. If you have a food mill, you can do damned near anything. BB&B sells a stainless food mill for around $200. That's the #1 thing I would get. You will thank me every time you make mashed potatoes or salsa.

Based on the knife brand restrictions, I wouldn't buy any knives. If you're going to buy cookware, go with a heavy stainless skillet and a heavy stainless saucepan. Heavy. All-Clad copper core if they sell it.

Edited by ScoopKW (log)

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

I've read this from the beginning.

1) Get a bunch of Oxo good grips stuff -- silicone spatulas, a grater, a zester, measuring cups, teaspoons. Basically, whatever you don't already have from the "essential" category. These aren't sexy like knives and blenders, but I reach for a spatula 50 times a day. Don't buy the unusual gadgets -- egg seperators and burger presses, for instance. See if BB&B has a Microplane in their gadgets sections. Can't go wrong with one of those.

2) Pyrex containers, Storage containers. Buy a lot of heavy "fridge to oven to table" containers. Also buy containers for AP Flour, bread flour, bread crumbs, sugar, etc. Bug-proof, humidity-proof containers for raw ingredients. I'd spend at least a couple hundred on this.

3) Does BB&B sell a fire extinguisher? If so, buy one if you don't have one already. May you never need it.

4) Tea towels/bar rags. Buy a stack of them. Home cooks NEVER have enough towels.

5) Nice wine glasses. BB&B sells Riedel. The glass doesn't really effect the taste. But I still like a nice wine glass.

6) Souffle crocks, ramekins, escargot crock, et cetera. All those ceramic baking items. Of course, if you don't eat snails you can skip the escargot crock. But everyone uses ramekins. And a souffle crock makes a dandy serving of mac and cheese. It's better to buy this stuff at a restaurant supply store. But then again, it's better to buy ALL this stuff at a restaurant supply store. You're just trying to blow through some gift certificates.

7) A stick blender. I know BB&B sells a cuisinart set which also features a useful "mini food processor" attachment.

8) AND I CAN'T STRESS THIS ONE ENOUGH -- A food mill. Forget the food processors, blenders, and everything else. If you have a food mill, you can do damned near anything. BB&B sells a stainless food mill for around $200. That's the #1 thing I would get. You will thank me every time you make mashed potatoes or salsa.

Based on the knife brand restrictions, I wouldn't buy any knives. If you're going to buy cookware, go with a heavy stainless skillet and a heavy stainless saucepan. Heavy. All-Clad copper core if they sell it.

Bought Wusthof Classic Knives. They felt the best in my hand, and I was able to get the 20% discount since I had them order it (the register restricts the coupon, but not if they order it).

Couldn't get the wife to go for the microplane, had a hard time getting her to go for a scale (but I prevailed).

We bought some non-stick, some stainless, a steamer thing, and a cast iron pot. I bought two cast iron skillets off craigslist for $10. Need some rejuvenation, but I'll make 'em work.

Got a bunch of utensils. Spatulas, wooden spoons, etc. New cutting board, good storage containers, grater, measuring cups/spoons, tongs etc. (most of this stuff was oxo).

Bought a Bosch universal plus off craigslist, came with blender attachment and stainless bowl. Ordered the food processor attachment from amazon.

Got new dinnerware seating for 8.

Got nice set of cookie sheets/cake pans (those real heavy ones made in Pennsylvania)

Got set of pyrex and stainless mixing bowls

Overall we saved just over $300 ($750 if you include what I saved on the bosch) on our purchase (total was about $1000), and I think most everything we got will last a long time, a lifetime for some. Still have some things we need, but overall I think we're pretty good for now.

We also got curtains and curtain rods for 3 windows (I know its' not cooking, just showing where the money went).

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. We appreciate your insight.

Edited by Eyeage (log)

Microplane graters make "grate" :blush: stocking stuffers, they're cheap! You might want to look at a Mouli Julienne, which is an inexpensive, hand powered food mill. I've had two, and loved both. (Long sad story, #2 ended with a house fire) The microplane is a wonderful tool, especially for bakers who end up with a "half knuckle" of meat with the lemon zest for the cake.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Couldn't get the wife to go for the microplane, had a hard time getting her to go for a scale (but I prevailed).

Here's another bit of advice: leave "the wife" home when shopping for the kitchen, especially if you do the cooking.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'd definitely persist on the microplane front, I now have four different ones and they are some of my most used kitchen utensils. If you need leverage, tell your wife how well it grates chocolate over desserts. ;)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Here's another bit of advice: leave "the wife" home when shopping for the kitchen, especially if you do the cooking.

Lol... as if that was going to work in this particular instance :P