• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savory Cheesecake with goat cheese and mushrooms

judiu

I have a friend, who while a good cook, has little imagination. He makes a great dessert cheese cake, and also wonderful mushooms in burgundy for a meat garnish, but can't quite grasp the idea of a savory cheesecake without sugar, garnished with the mushrooms in sauce. Can anyone help with an idea, recipe, anything? Please!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I have a friend, who while a good cook, has little imagination. He makes a great dessert cheese cake, and also wonderful mushooms in burgundy for a meat garnish, but can't quite grasp the idea of a savory cheesecake without sugar, garnished with the mushrooms in sauce. Can anyone help with an idea, recipe, anything? Please!

Brilliant idea! I've made savory bread pudding but never cheesecake.

An internet search for savory goat cheesecake yielded quite a range of choices but I thought this particular link might give him some inspiration, especially since it is served with a meat.

http://www.averagebetty.com/recipes/adam-cho-goat-cheese-cheesecake-recipe/

Kay

ate a smoked salmon cheesecake appetizer at Emeril's in New Orleans years ago...it was FABULOUS.

yes, savory cheesecakes work great. you can make a shrimp, crawfish, smoked salmon, or even lobster cheescake.

anything that goes with cream cheese and butter (which is nearly everything) will likely work.

just google emeril salmon cheesecake, and the recipe pops up.

• 2 years later...

Here's a crab and wild mushroom cheesecake that I found thanks to Heartsurgeon's post and suggestion, just in case you missed it and might be interested:

http://emerils.com/123688/crab-and-wild-mushroom-cheesecake-green-onion-coulis

What a waist of "Lump" crab meat. Might aswell use "special" or "claw" if your going to add it into the mixer or blender. :rolleyes:

You might want to consider a French variation: Tourteau de chèvre.  It's not really like an American-style cheesecake, more like a fallen souffle baked in a tart crust.  It features goat cheese. It can be slightly sweet or not, you can cut back on the sugar to your taste, but even when it's sweet, it's barely so, nowhere near as sweet as cheesecake.  I love it, and think a mushroom sauce (esp with a bit of sherry in it) could be fabulous.

I first made it during our Cooking with Dorie Greenspan's "Around my French Table" topic, you can see a photo and my description here