• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas in New Jersey

Rosie

Jason, China 47?

China 46. Yep. I'm sure half the Jews in Bergen County will be there. :biggrin:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Christmas Eve is traditional Italian: fish, fish, pasta, fish, and about one cake per person. :blink: I believe Christmas Day is going to be prime rib. Not sure what else, except my mother stated no pasta since we'll eat it the night before.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Christmas Eve is traditional Italian: fish, fish, pasta, fish, and about one cake per person.  :blink:  I believe Christmas Day is going to be prime rib.  Not sure what else, except my mother stated no pasta since we'll eat it the night before.

TUMMY!!! I mean YUMMY! :biggrin:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I will be heading down to Boca Raton tomorrow night for a 10 day vacation. Most likely we will do the traditioanl Jewish Christmas eve dinner. Chinese food and a movie. Might have to make a reservation. :biggrin:

I am looking forward to eating some fantastic Cuban food while I am down there.

I am looking forward to eating some fantastic Cuban food while I am down there.

I hope to be doing the same in West Palm Beach a few weeks later!

I wish I could go out, but this Christmas I'm actually having a Christmas celebration with the family. A far cry from the care-free days when my Christmas days were spent gambling with a group of Jews, athiests, and Vietnamese! :laugh:

well, looks like i will be sending john up to poughkeepsie tomorrow with sweet and sour meatballs, danish meatballs with caper sauce, a quiche for him, portugese sweet bread and a black forest mousse pie since i have to work till 5 and go back to work the 26th.

guess i'll be shoveling the white stuff and i think i'll pull some homemade soup from the fridge and, if the power holds, maybe i'll bake some rolls. a bottle of red wine and a quiet day... sounds good to me.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

All the kids will be with the exes as of noon, so Bob and I are planning a grown up feast. He ordered caviar from Petrossian, I raided D'artagnan: two pretty slabs of foie gras, I think I am going to sautee with apples, but I will peruse some cookbooks tomorrow for inspiration, we will roast a pheasant( with dried apricot/goden raisin sauce), wild rice,

maybe asparagus which won't match the menu but is a favorite. Beautiful cheeses, I need to get to Wegman's for a great bread, he's been rustling around his wine cellar for some nice matches, so I'm expecting a wonderful, intimate meal after two days of family and presents and chaos...Then two of the kids are going to Colo for 5 days...and our College girl is working in Philly, will stay in her apartment there...so it should be a couple of very nice days..a mini-honeymoon, of sorts.. :wub::wub::wub:

Edited by Kim WB (log)

I'm half way through the celebration - Christmas Eve mid day - I prepare a Chirstmas brunch for my husband's family - this year that was a pork roast in garlic, and herbs, onions and white wine served on a platter with cashew nut -herb stuffing, maple glazed carrots, potato pancakes with sour cream and homemade apple sauce ...dessert cookies & stollen.

The evening emal (my family) all seafood - though this year, breaking Italian tradition I prepared a saffrom risotto and the seafood : Lobster, clams, mussels, crab, shrimp -my side dishes were a con sarde (served with italian garlic toast) a russian develed egg (sour cream instead of mayo) with anchovies, and thin slices of salmon... dessert Pecan pie (for dad) cannoli, and left over cookes from the brunch...

this afternoon's open house (weather permitting) spiral ham, turkey breast cooked with black berries, orange juice, and a little margarita - platter of humus and seasoned grilled pita, platter of fresh mozerella, roasted peppers, roasted corn and assorted olives

It sounds like alot the trick as "you all know" is organizing!

This Sunday one more Christmas Celebration for family traveling in and I will do a schnitzel, spaetzel with wild mushrooms, and for dessert a persimmon pudding (bought the fruits for Christmas Eve meal but never made the time to make the pudding!)

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

A traditional middle American holiday dinner with the Outlaws here in the culinary wasteland of western Pa. Ham and turkey with all the fixins. Could not convince them to let me fix my traditional dish of butter, black pepper and rutabagas... :cool:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak