• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meat mix for meatballs

Dignan

I'm making sunday gravy for mother's day. I usually make the meatballs with a mix of ground beef ground veal and ground pork. However, I'm having. Drydifficulty locating any ground veal at the moment. I'm afraid that just ground pork and ground beef will be too fatty, so I was considering subsituting ground turkey for the ground veal. The only time I've eaten ground turkey that I recall een hard and dry. Any input on the wisdom of going 1 way or the other?

I'm making sunday gravy for mother's day. I usually make the meatballs with a mix of ground beef ground veal and ground pork. However, I'm having. Drydifficulty locating any ground veal at the moment. I'm afraid that just ground pork and ground beef will be too fatty, so I was considering subsituting ground turkey for the ground veal. The only time I've eaten ground turkey that I recall een hard and dry. Any input on the wisdom of going 1 way or the other?

What about bison? Its lean, if not I do not see why not turkey. I would suggest using a panade in your recipe to keep things moist and light. The most possible reason the turkey was hard and dry was most likely because ground turkey is lean, and it was probably way over cooked. I do think that it would work well with the pork and beef since they will have more fat.

Hey great minds.... I was just going to follow up with the bison idea. Ground bison is readily available out this way. And agreed on the turkey analysis. I'm pretty sure I've only had it when people have prepared ground turkey burgers for me.

My favorite 'secret weapon' in my meatballs and meatloaf (especially with a VERY tempramental gas oven) has always been minced waterchestnuts. I have used a Mouli-julienne to finely grate the contents of a small can of waterchestnuts and add to the mix with the egg when mixing. Never an overly firm meatball! Be sure to rinse and drain the whole chestnuts, or you can get a tinny taste, and don't try this with a box grater as you are guarenteed to add a good deal of knuckle to your chestnuts! :shock:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Yes, I always use a panade. It makes a huge difference. I've never heard of the water chestnut trick. It seems like it would need a real fine mince.

The best meatballs I've ever had in terms of moistness even through repeated reheatings are the lamb meatballs from Beacon (search the forums). The secret ingredient, in my opinion, is the inclusion of quite a bit of strained Greek yogurt. I now include this whenever making any kind of meatball.

--

The meatballs have been made, a la Fawlty Towers, with veal substitute of bison. I'll let you know how it turns out. The bison had that kind of irony smell but I don't think my guests will notice that separate from the beef.

I brown the balls in a pan, then finish them in the sauce. It's mostly a CI recipe I read at some point.

The meatballs with the bison came out pretty good. I thought they were a bit tougher than usual but not distinctly so.

The Johnnybird will NOT allow me to use veal at home so I usually use a mix of ground sirloin, ground bison and ground pork. I definitely use a panade with panko, milk and two eggs and just a touch of Worcesteshire. I don't brown or bake but a la Trigianna pop them into the gravy and let them poach. They seem to come out soft and fluffy.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Believe it or not Cooks Illustrated has a meatloaf recipe using all beef and unflavored gelatin to substitute for the collagen you'd get from veal, I've tried it and it works. No reason this couldn't be adapted to meatballs with success.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Well Dignan, veal is after all just very young beef.

You could use some fillet of beef (no fat there) and who would know?

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Yes, I always use a panade. It makes a huge difference. I've never heard of the water chestnut trick. It seems like it would need a real fine mince.

I think I invented that trick! That's why I use the Mouli; it has several different size disks, so you can get a corser or finer mince, as you like. A box grater will add knuckle to the mix (not a good thing, to my mind :shock: ), and a food processor gets the mince TOO fine, more like baby food with some lumps.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I just made a batch of the Beacon mixture for tonight. Quickly fried a meatball for QA purposes. Very light. Very good. Keen to see how they'll evolve over the course of a hour in the oven.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Instead of water chestnuts or yoghurt, which could make the mixture to runny, try adding some chopped up solid tofu. I use it in low-fat sausages to good effect.

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog