• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hydrocolloid and Cauliflower Question

demo5

I was thinking about pureeing cauliflower and then mixing it with a hydrocolloid of some sort to create a cauliflower sheet (or perhaps a carrot sheet or other vegetable). Does anyone have a thought as to what might be used to make this work? I don't want this to be like something gelatin-based with a ton of flexibility - I would like it to have more structure than that.

Thanks.

Xanthan or Maltodextrin?

No, neither of those ingredients will give the result the OP is looking for.

If I had to do something like this, I'd probably start by juicing the cauliflower and mixing the juice with tapioca starch, then steaming or boiling it. But I'm hardly the most creative cook around these parts, so I hope someone else chimes in with a more elegant solution.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Gellan would work and be vegetarian.

Otherwise you could go the WD-50 Peanut Butter noodle route, and add Gelatin and Transglutaminase.

Mike

For transglutaminase you would need protein. I would try the recipe up above. You could infuse cream with the cauliflower, blitz it and strain it.

The perfect vichyssoise is served hot and made with equal parts of butter to potato.

The Gelatin Suffices for protein. WD uses Geltain in combo with Meat Glue on many different dishes from barley to the peanut butter noodles. The other recipe would likely be easier but you have other options if its not to your liking (and meat-related ingredients aren't an issue)

Mike