• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First Aid in the Kitchen

weinoo

Okay, I admit it. I have, on occasion, suffered a "kitchen injury." There was that time, on the first day of cooking school, that I basically sliced the tip of my finger off. And then there was the incident when I was making dinner for the first time for a bunch of our new neighbors, and while I was mincing parsley decided to mince part of another finger.

And man, those finger injuries are bleeders. So obviously, anyone that cooks a lot at home needs some sort of a first-aid kit, or at least a supply of various bandages, etc. That little box of Batman band-aids that you keep around for when the kid scuffs an elbow just aren't going to cut it.

My first-aid set up consists of all sorts of sizes of heavy-duty bandages, tape, rolls of gauze, giant adhesive gauze pads, finger-tip bandages and on and on. There are also hydrogen peroxide and 3-way antibiotic pain killing creams. Scissors, finger cots, etc.

Do you keep a first-aid kit? What am I missing?

And, how bad does the injury have to be before you head to the ER?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Hmmm. I don't really have a kitchen first aid kit at home (other than whatever happens to be in the house for injuries in general). I've had some cuts that arguably could have used a trip for a stitch or three and a face burn that left me looking rough for a while (that was actually at work, thankfully the scars ended up small and aren't overly easy to see unless you look for them) but, knock on wood, so far I've never felt the need to go to the ER for a kitchen-related injury.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Everything that's in your kit is in mine, along with a tube of Superglue (for superficial knife cuts, to close them without requiring a bandage), a shaker of Cayenne pepper (fast cauterizer for really bleedy wounds) a pair of splinter tweezers, and a sharp knife that's dedicated to my Aloe arborescens plant (for burns). The kit sits just below the Aloe plant.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Everything that's in your kit is in mine, along with a tube of Superglue (for superficial knife cuts, to close them without requiring a bandage), a shaker of Cayenne pepper (fast cauterizer for really bleedy wounds) a pair of splinter tweezers, and a sharp knife that's dedicated to my Aloe arborescens plant (for burns). The kit sits just below the Aloe plant.

I'm assuming the cayenne works by turning into a solid clump that fills the cut when it mixes with the escaping fluids? Because that's not the kind of heat that cauterizes.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

and food service gloves to you can keep on.... even when i half cut the tip of my thumb off i didn't go for stitches. wrapped, elevated, pressure and, at the urging of our maitre 'd a glass of red wine "to replace the blood".

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

^^

Yup. I keep Aji and Habanero powders for serious bleeders (I live far away from the city's hospitals). However, I haven't had to use them yet (touch wood) - I generally give myself superficial cuts, for which the superglue works just fine.

and food service gloves to you can keep on.... even when i half cut the tip of my thumb off i didn't go for stitches. wrapped, elevated, pressure and, at the urging of our maitre 'd a glass of red wine "to replace the blood".

Damn never thought of the red wine! But I would have to be pretty much bleeding out before I would go to the ER - nothing does me in more than an 8 hour wait in Emerg and I have done enough of those when I accompanied a family member.

Keep bandaids in the kitchen and a first aid kit elsewhere in the house. Burns get the ice cube/cold water treatment.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

^^

Yup. I keep Aji and Habanero powders for serious bleeders (I live far away from the city's hospitals). However, I haven't had to use them yet (touch wood) - I generally give myself superficial cuts, for which the superglue works just fine.

I'm not trying to be troublesome here, just trying to be clear on what we're doing. Is the cayenne, aji, habanero for some purpose other than forming a paste to plug things up? I'm asking because it seems like flour or cornstarch would do the same thing without inflicting the pain chiles on open wounds might.

Not something that I would use on a knife nick, but for far more serious cuts we have QuikClot on hand. I first got this into my first aid kit in my mountain biking pack. it is a beanbag-like container of clotting compound that will apparently stop arterial bleeding. I have it in case of a compound fracture from a bad spill etc.

^^

I'm not trying to be troublesome here, just trying to be clear on what we're doing. Is the cayenne, aji, habanero for some purpose other than forming a paste to plug things up? I'm asking because it seems like flour or cornstarch would do the same thing without inflicting the pain chiles on open wounds might.

Actually, in my experience with my own wounds, the cayenne has been enough to sear the flesh (I'm quite sensitive to capasicin); the aji and habanero work faster. If I'm just going to plug the wound, I tend to use flour or cornstarch or medical-grade sterile cotton lint.

^^

I just looked this up on the interwebs, and there were lots of claims that cayenne etc are styptics, but it's the first I've heard of it, and the sites didn't strike me as particularly scientific. I'd be keen to see a reliable reference on the subject though!

We keep a bit of gauze, bandaids, saline solution and dettol, plus a standard first aid kits. I tend to be a bit clumsy with knives....

On a related note, we also have an easily accessible fire blanket and fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Maybe all the office emergency response committees we've both been on have had an effect on us!

I just looked this up on the interwebs, and there were lots of claims that cayenne etc are styptics, but it's the first I've heard of it, and the sites didn't strike me as particularly scientific. I'd be keen to see a reliable reference on the subject though!

We keep a bit of gauze, bandaids, saline solution and dettol, plus a standard first aid kits. I tend to be a bit clumsy with knives....

On a related note, we also have an easily accessible fire blanket and fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Maybe all the office emergency response committees we've both been on have had an effect on us!

As I said, I'm not trying to be troublesome. I'll gladly learn different if I'm incorrect. I realize there is chemical cauterizing (silver nitrate, etc.) that doesn't require a heat source but I wasn't aware that chiles had that effect. Be an interesting thing to learn if it is the case... I like learning.

This tread reminds me of the Julia Child skit on SNL where she (Dan Ackroyd) cut herself.

I have taken the end of my finger off a couple times with a Santoku- which I never use any more-. I used elevation, pressure and bandaids designed for knuckles and fingertips in fabric. The first day I go through several bandaids and lots of Neosporin. I don't keep the bandaids in the kitchen though. Don't need them all that often. I do have an Aloe plant in the kitchen, partly because that is where the best growing sunlight is but also for minor burns.

As I said, I'm not trying to be troublesome. I'll gladly learn different if I'm incorrect. I realize there is chemical cauterizing (silver nitrate, etc.) that doesn't require a heat source but I wasn't aware that chiles had that effect. Be an interesting thing to learn if it is the case... I like learning.

I can only speak for what works for me. I'm fairly cautious with knives (cutting my finger nearly in half with a bandsaw, years ago, has made me reticent to chop things too fast) so I have little case to use peppers to stop bleeding in the kitchen. However, it's a very easy thing to carry in the jungles, where I am prone to nicking myself with my machete....

I havn't ever done it but I have heard that ground black pepper was used as an old butchers trick to help stop a wound bleeding.

That's kinda what I was getting at. I don't doubt it works, I'm just thinking it may be more due to the powdered item forming a paste with the blood and helping slow the flow allowing the clotting blood to stop things sooner than it would otherwise. I think it would work regardless of the powdered item used unless it was something known to promote bloodflow. Notice I keep using the words "I think"... because I don't know this to be fact and have never tested it. If there is something in chile peppers that helps stop the bleeding, I find that very interesting and would like to learn more about it. I'm not doubting anyone's word here, I'm just hoping someone can bring some more information on it to the party.

My remedy for cuts has always been duct tape. It adheres well and creates sort of a pressure bandage if you are bleeding and pull it tight; plus it sticks wonderfully and allows you to continue cooking without bleeding or pain. I often leave it until the next shower/bath, and by then the wound has usually sealed a bit. Band- aids are poor poor relatives.

My remedy for cuts has always been duct tape. It adheres well and creates sort of a pressure bandage if you are bleeding and pull it tight; plus it sticks wonderfully and allows you to continue cooking without bleeding or pain. I often leave it until the next shower/bath, and by then the wound has usually sealed a bit. Band- aids are poor poor relatives.

That's one of my favorites as well. I even kept a roll in my drybag in case of cuts while whitewater kayaking. It was the only thing that would stay on for the rest of the trip.

I find it hard to beleive that anything with capsaicin would stop bleeding faster. It is a well known vasodilator, so if anything it should increase blood flow in that area.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I'd add a couple of rubber bands (quick, temporary tourniquet for when a finger is bleeding like crazy, but you don't really have the option of walking about swearing and hand-clamping proximal to your wound for five minutes until clotting starts/you can bandage without it being sort of pointless), and New-Skin or similar to seal small cuts and scrapes, especially if keeping a plaster in place is not going to really work out, and some surgical gloves (powder-free) for when you've done something truly spectacular to your hand in the wound department. I also keep alcohol on hand, since I rely on hydrogen peroxide mostly for puncture wounds.

Have you actually had any luck at all with finger-tip plasters?

So far, the only time I've gone to the emergency room for a kitchen injury was when I severed an artery (you could tell straight off, since it was spurting rhythmically), which isn't something to mess about with (although I did take out the stitches myself). A bad burn (sort of hard to define, but location and size would determine it) would send me to ER, too.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I'll add butterfly closure bandages to the above. And I have actually performed stitches on myself when out in the bush. Nasty scar, but I still have the finger.

My kit contains Icy Hot (I cramp up a lot), regular bandages, butterflies, NuSkin, gauze, Neosporin, tape (I'm switching to duct tape after reading this thread), temporary dental filler (I lost a filling once at work. Worst. Pain. Ever.), floss and a needle (just in case). I have access to finger cots and gloves at work. I'm planning on bringing an aloe plant to work and leaving it in the employee "smoking lounge" outside. And ibuprofen, for the dans la merde days.

That being said, most of my kit gets used on coworkers (except the needle and floss). I don't injure myself often.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

I'll add butterfly closure bandages to the above. . . .

What brand do you use? I've tried these, and although they did the job nicely, they came loose once much was done with the hands, even with a bandage/finger cot/glove over it. Duct tape might hold them in place, haven't tried that.

My mother in law is a nurse. I just grab supplies from her house. No idea who makes them. They just say "butterfly closures" on the wrapper.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Yep we got some first aid kit near the kitchen. It consists of betadine, hydrogen peroxide, gauzes, bandages, band-aids, cotton, alcohol, tape, scissors and some major medicines for headaches, cough, fever and flu. I think everyone should have it for first aid purposes.