• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen floor mats and padding

You might want to consider a completely different option, that of a height-adjustable rocking stool (I've seen them at AI Friedman, downtown). This can be adjusted so you are practically standing, but the weight is off your feet. The rocker bottom keeps you from slouching in a problematic position for long periods of time. It's easily stashed in a corner, or carried to another room, for other uses. I don't know about the longevity of gel mats, but this has simply got to outlast the most robust of them. The price on the Varier model is insane, but it seems likely that other companies exist, which make virtually identical units at other price points.

I need to find a US distributor for this marvelous looking stool! I was considering buying an adjustable mechanic's stool for use in the kitchen (when we are embroidering on a cake, which can sometimes take hours, this would be a godsend) but now I want this.

I have three of these - two in the kitchen and one in the potting shed where I have it because it is uncomfortable to stand for long sessions.

I usually keep one foot on the floor and hook a heel on the ring at the base, which works for me. I just measured the height on one and at 28" it is comfortable for me to work at regular counter height. It's easy to adjust the height when I need to work at the lower height pastry counter or at a table.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm not sure if you want the pad to catch drips or for comfort while standing. I have a galley kitchen with vinyl flooring--not really a problem with standing for long periods of time. Years ago I put down colorful cotton throw rugs for the entire length of the kitchen, with non-skid rubbery pads underneath them. I didn't do this for any practical reason, only for pretty. Well, the rugs catch drips from the sink, they're comfortable to stand on, they're cheap, and they're easy to wash in the machine. Just don't drop your cherries flambee on them.

I have three of these - two in the kitchen and one in the potting shed where I have it because it is uncomfortable to stand for long sessions.

I usually keep one foot on the floor and hook a heel on the ring at the base, which works for me. I just measured the height on one and at 28" it is comfortable for me to work at regular counter height. It's easy to adjust the height when I need to work at the lower height pastry counter or at a table.

Where did you find yours? The European website listed some US retailers but the listed ones in MA (Circle Furniture) don't stock it :sad: This is a much better solution than the mechanic's stool.

Where did you find yours? The European website listed some US retailers but the listed ones in MA (Circle Furniture) don't stock it :sad: This is a much better solution than the mechanic's stool.

The place I posted is in Carlsbad, CA but there are other vendors who carry "stools, rolling or folding" that supply to beauty shops, medical offices, tattoo parlors and etc.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Do you find it difficult to not slump on those? Several of the places where I worked as a massage therapist had those, and if I used them at all, I ended up cranking them way down and kneeling on them, because otherwise, I found they tended to force me into a slouching position that made it really uncomfortable for my neck and shoulders. I really like stools that tilt, since they make it far easier to remain vertical. This all may depend on how long you sit, however.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Do you find it difficult to not slump on those? Several of the places where I worked as a massage therapist had those, and if I used them at all, I ended up cranking them way down and kneeling on them, because otherwise, I found they tended to force me into a slouching position that made it really uncomfortable for my neck and shoulders. I really like stools that tilt, since they make it far easier to remain vertical. This all may depend on how long you sit, however.

I don't slouch - habit of a lifetime from being raised with the rule that good posture was important and learning to sit a horse with a wooden coat hanger upside down inside my jacket to keep my shoulders square. My arthritic knees do not allow kneeling at all. You might find the saddle type stools better but I think they are more expensive. My massage therapist, who wears leg braces, uses one but I don't think it can be raised as high as my stools.

The European website listed some US retailers but the listed ones in MA (Circle Furniture) don't stock it :sad: This is a much better solution than the mechanic's stool.

Varier's Where to buy page for the US has online retailers at the bottom. Here is the results page for "move stool" at the Backcare Basics site. Actually, Backcare Basics seems to be based in Needham, though I don't know if they have a showroom.

Now I want one!

Fern

• 2 years later...

I also have two GelPro mats. One looks as good as it did when I bought it and the other has curled. It's great that they replaced it for you.

The kitchen where we teach has some GelPros but also a brand called Wellness Mats that are much more comfortable than GelPro, so if I were going to buy another, that's what I'd buy.

I had never heard of Wellness Mats before, but they seem just what I am searching for! My time in the kitchen is limited by tolerance to pain. However I have to echo others' shock at the cost. Before I commit to spending that much I'd love to hear some eGullet testimonials. Anyone have a Wellness Mat? Please, someone tell me they are worth it!

To answer the original poster's question, I currently have a small, worn out rug by the sink. About five years ago my landlord put down a new soft tile floor that was a big improvement over the peeling stuff below. But my poor feet and back need something better.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I see upthread that i commented on GelPro and that I liked them very much, which I did. Since I wrote that little testimonial, however, my mats curled again and I gave up on them. I now have Wellness mats and I find them even more comfortable that GelPro. They also show no sign of curling at the edges. I would buy Wellness mats again in a heartbeat.

• 2 weeks later...

I see upthread that i commented on GelPro and that I liked them very much, which I did. Since I wrote that little testimonial, however, my mats curled again and I gave up on them. I now have Wellness mats and I find them even more comfortable that GelPro. They also show no sign of curling at the edges. I would buy Wellness mats again in a heartbeat.

I'm in much the same boat. I liked my GelPro mats at first, but one of them curled up a lot, so much that the lining tore. While I haven't made the plunge and bought Wellness mats, the kitchen where we teach has them and I'm very impressed. They've lasted nicely under heavy wear and tear for several years, and I've noticed less leg and back fatigue after classes since they've been in the kitchen.

• 2 weeks later...

I had never heard of Wellness Mats before, but they seem just what I am searching for!  My time in the kitchen is limited by tolerance to pain.  However I have to echo others' shock at the cost.  Before I commit to spending that much I'd love to hear some eGullet testimonials.  Anyone have a Wellness Mat?  Please, someone tell me they are worth it!

To answer the original poster's question, I currently have a small, worn out rug by the sink.  About five years ago my landlord put down a new soft tile floor that was a big improvement over the peeling stuff below.  But my poor feet and back need something better.

We have a large wellness mat.  I've also gifted one to someone and they love it as much as we do.  My aunt bought 2 as well based on using ours and she is also in love.  Totally worth the money.