• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Too many Tangerines - how to use or preserve

Paul Bacino

I have a few extra.. 10# " Seedless Kishu Mandarins".. currently I have been eating them fresh. Is their a way to preserve them? Should I just juice a few and save that? I know I have preserved lemons in salt. Ideas?

Paul

Its good to have Morels

Possibly candy them or maybe you could use them in clementine cake.

Candied Mandarins on eG

Nigella's Clementine Cake recipe

eta: links

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Member bleudauvergne posted about Clementines Confites here in her blog. They sound and look lovely. Basically pierced and boiled in a sugar solution and then reboiled with added sugar every other day for a 14 day total. She also adds glucose or honey to avoid graininess.

I freeze extra oranges quite regularly when we can't eat them in time. Zest the peel, break the oranges into sections, fast freeze them on a sheet, then pop into a bag. Later they'll be used in smoothies and Orange Juleps.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Jam/Marmalade. I started out using a Claudia Roden recipe. Here are some options:

Exquisite mandarin jam - super easy!

Turkish Tangerine jam

Other than that, syrup cake - not the pound-cake type, but the Middle Eastern (Greek, Syrian) type with cornmeal/ground almonds/semolina.

Tangerine custards.

Tangerine mayonnaise.

I freeze extra oranges quite regularly when we can't eat them in time. Zest the peel, break the oranges into sections, fast freeze them on a sheet, then pop into a bag. Later they'll be used in smoothies and Orange Juleps.

I think this is what I want to do.

Thanks

Its good to have Morels

juice them and candy the peel. The juice you can either drink now or freeze (or thicken on the stove etc) and the peel you can either just snack on or use in baking or other dishes. Very tasty! Cut into little pieces and sprinkle on ice cream, things like that.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

There's also tangerine curd, which like marmalade isn't just for spreading but makes a good base for cakes, sauces, and ice creams later. Off the top of my head, I think marmalade's a better base for drinks, but then again, I wonder...

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I made a clementine clafouti a while back that was very, very good. It was a Mark Bittman recipe, I'd bet you could find it on the web. The tartness of the clementines played really well with the creaminess of the custard/cake.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

(re-posted to address copyright concerns)

Oh yes, marmalade as an ingedient... microwave steamed pudding, copied from the BBC food web site where it was one of Nick Nairn's recipes, and something of s winter standby round here for being so easy, quick, warming & delicious:

55g/2oz self-[raising flour

55g/2oz unsalted butter

55g/2oz caster sugar

1 egg

2 tbsp marmalade

extra butter / butter paper, for greasing

- cream together butter & sugar; gradually work in the beaten egg (2 or three additions) till the mixture's smooth, then stir in the marmalade. I use a mixing bowl and fork and this all takes about 2 minutes

- lightly fold in the flour

- butter a 2-pint bowl and pour in the mixture

- cover with wrap and microwave for 4 - 6 minutes (600W) - you can tell when it's done by sight and/or with a light press from your finger; it's a sponge pudding

Ideally serve with something moist - some custard, cream, sauce made from more marmalade, or as you like. The sponge itself is rich & buttery.

All credit to Nick Nairn, who continues in the same vein with similar creations that can be found in the same place (this particular combination with marmalade isn't online now) - look under 'Cakes & baking' for microwave sponge puddings.

---

My preserves bible (Marguerite Patten's The Basic Basics: Jams, preserves, etc) says tangerine curd is very mild-flavoured and benefits from a little added lemon juice.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.