• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Company Propers

Chris Amirault

We complain a fair amount -- ok, perhaps an unfair amount -- when companies misstep, misinform, or otherwise screw up. I wanted to start a topic where we could give credit where credit is due.

I'll start. Thanks, Le Creuset, for replacing the war-horse 9 qt dutch oven I had for twenty years when it busted the enamel in two spots a few months ago. No muss, no fuss, and I got the new behemoth just before the holiday cooking onslaught. Yep: they just gave me a new $400 one, lid and all. Same color, too.

Surely you have a company you'd like to thank!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I ordered some ingredients from American Spice for a Christmas present for my daughter. I had never used them, but they were one of few sources for some interesting flavored powders such as hickory powder, lime powder, red wine powder, bacon salt.

They were fast, told me when to expect it and the gift wrapping I opted for was much more than I expected for the money.

I will order from them again.

I've had the most excellent service from Sunnyland Farms; I mostly buy the midget pecans in the home pack, but everything I've ever gotten from them have been excellent quality, packed well, and arrived when they say it will. I've been buying from them for about 10 years and have never had a problem.

I've also had excellent service from King Arthur in Vermont. I bought a Viking 7 qt mixer and the whip broke the third time I used it. They sent out a replacement whip immediately. The service I got from them was way better than the mixer's performance (we call it "dusty" because I just don't like it anymore, but I still buy from KA all the time).

King Arthur Flour has amazing customer service, perhaps partially because they are an employee-owned company.

I received one large order that had a few dirty items in it; customer service figured out that UPS had broken the shipping box and re-packed it. King Arthur replaced ALL the food items in that order, not just those I had called to their attention.

We complain a fair amount -- ok, perhaps an unfair amount -- when companies misstep, misinform, or otherwise screw up. I wanted to start a topic where we could give credit where credit is due.

I'll start. Thanks, Le Creuset, for replacing the war-horse 9 qt dutch oven I had for twenty years when it busted the enamel in two spots a few months ago. No muss, no fuss, and I got the new behemoth just before the holiday cooking onslaught. Yep: they just gave me a new $400 one, lid and all. Same color, too.

Surely you have a company you'd like to thank!

That is an amazing story, and hard to beat. I'm curious, did you provide evidence of a lifetime warranty?

Nope. Just sent in the original item with the pock marks and kept the lid thinking that they wouldn't replace that, too. For the cost of postage and whatever electricity an email uses, I got the replacement without a warranty, receipt... nothing.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts