• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Food Literature of the Decade

Richard Kilgore

During the first decade of this century there has been a wide variety of books, journals and magazines devoted to food literature. Not cook books as such. While these publications may have recipes, they are predominately food lit: history, essays, autobiography and biography, and other non-fiction, as well as fiction.

What are your top 10 of the decade?

1- Consider the Lobster by David Foster Wallace.

Number 2 should be A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by the same, but I'm not sure it qualifies as food literature per se. There's a good bit about food in it, anyway.

Not nominating anything else since I haven't read any food-related stuff nearly as good in the past 10 years.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

My Life in France - Julia Child

Letters to a Young Chef - Daniel Boulud

A Meal Observed - Andrew Toddhunter

Tender at the Bone nd its 2 sequels- Ruth Reichl

Monsoon Diary - Shoba Narayan

Feeding a Yen - Calvin Trillin

Mouth Wide Open - John Thorne

Risotto with Nettles - Anna del Conte

Raw...Anthony Bourdain

Animal, Mineral, Vegetable - Barbara Kingsolver

This was a hard list to write and there are several more titles that I would have liked to include. This is a highly personal list. I collect fook writing and like it to evoke the pleasures of life and of eating. I like it to be well written and humorous, opinionated and personal and not too academic. I like it to transport me and deepen my understanding of food and its preparation in other cultures as well as my own. I like it to make me hungry and eager to cook.

The Fruit Hunters: A Story of Nature, Adventure, Commerce, and Obsession. Adam Leith Gollner

Candy Freak: A Journey Through the Chocolate Underbelly of America. Steve Almond.

Two fascinating books from the decade.

The title, Candy Freak, is one that the publishers must have picked because it is purely sensational and does not reflect on the nature of the book at all. I would recommend this one for a good read. It's the engaging history of the many little regional and family candy manufacturers of the USA and how they have just about all disappeared in the face of the marketing practices of the current biggies. It sent me on a hunt in Moab for all the regional type candies I could find which still are out there.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I second Candyfreak and David Foster Wallace. If I could stretch the definition just a bit, along with the decade (to 2000; and let's not debate right here when the century actually started), I'd add Hot Sour Salty Sweet, by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

"The Apprentice" by Jacques Pepin, a great look at what formed his career and life, and also at the traditional French brigade system of training chefs.

I'd 2nd the reccomendation for Julia's "My Life In France" and Reichl's "Tender At The Bone" although not so much "Comfort Me With Apples". That one didn't sing to me as much as "Tender At The Bone" did.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Although I'm still reading it, I'd also add:

"Cheese Slices" by Will Studd.

He did a television program of the same name but the book is not just a tie in but instead a completely different approach to the subject.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I just read Une gourmandise by Muriel Barbery. I read the book in French, but the book was translated. The English title is Gourmet Rhapsody.

It is a very short novel about the death of a famous food critic and the writer take us through a journey of food and memories.

Great novel about food.

My blog about food in Japan

Foodie Topography

www.foodietopography.com