• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

jeffknop

Anyone have a 1978 or 1986 edition of the Betty Crocker Cookbook?

does anyone have the 1978 or the 1986 edition of the Betty Crocker Cookbook? if so, can you check the book and see if on one of its pages there is a picture of the "go" space from monopoly? i'm trying to find out which cookbook this was, i remember it from my childhood. post if u know what i'm talking about, thanks.

Looked all through 1978 and no 'Go'! Hope someone else can find it for you, I know how that kind of thing can drive you crazy!

Do you remember anything more about it other than the photo of the "Go" from Monopoly? Like any of the dishes/recipes? The cover?

I've got a 1986 edition, and there's nothing in it like Go or any other Monopoly piece.

I suggest you start browsing used book stores in your area. Locally, they have a lot of cookbooks from that era. Good luck!

I kind of wonder if maybe it's the Better Homes & Gardens from that era. Seems to me they had a lot of illustrations.

Although if they were using a photo of a Monopoly Game, they'd have to credit it in some manner, I'd think. I can't help but wonder what was the connection.

Abebooks, a consortium of used book sellers, lists Betty Crocker's Cookbook for Boys and Girls, dated 1978.

http://www.abebooks.com/

Googlebooks has a pic of the cover, here. Look familiar?

http://books.google.com/books?id=bB0JAAAACAAJ&dq=BETTY+CROCKER%27S+COOKBOOK+FOR+BOYS+%26+GIRLS&hl=en&ei=4phpTN3ID464sQOIl9GMBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAA

If you want to do a further search on Abebooks, I suggest you first search for "Betty Crocker Cookbook." When the results pop up, do a second search within the results for whatever year (or other keywords) that might help.

For any book that you think might be IT, you can query the vendor about the "Go" Monopoly pic before you buy the book. Many of the vendors are small sellers & they will answer questions prior to a sale.

Edited by djyee100 (log)

do you have the home and garden book that you're talking about, and if so, can you please look in it and see if they have a monopoly board pic in one of the pages? and yes, i know the betty crocker cookbook for boys and girls has a picture of the go board on its cover, so maybe that's it, but as i remember this book had a pic in the body of the book.

and i just checked the "betty crocker's cookbook for boys and girls" in the library, that's not the one i'm looking for, despite the fact that it has the go space from monopoly on its cover. the cookbook i'm looking for had a picture of the go space from monopoly on one of the pages in the book in the body of the book itself. someone please help, thanks.

I kind of wonder if maybe it's the Better Homes & Gardens from that era. Seems to me they had a lot of illustrations.

Although if they were using a photo of a Monopoly Game, they'd have to credit it in some manner, I'd think. I can't help but wonder what was the connection.

jaymes, if they had to credit it some manner, would that make the cookbook in which it was in easier to find? i'm just asking because i'm trying to find the cookbook in was in, thanks.

OK, my curiosity's getting the better of me here. Are you looking for this cookbook because you remember a particular recipe from it? Or is it just one of those things that haunts you in the wee hours of the morning, and you've decided to get to the bottom of it? Settling a bet? Inquiring minds want to know, you know.

OK, my curiosity's getting the better of me here. Are you looking for this cookbook because you remember a particular recipe from it? Or is it just one of those things that haunts you in the wee hours of the morning, and you've decided to get to the bottom of it? Settling a bet? Inquiring minds want to know, you know.

it is a cookbook that i remember reading from in my early childhood and it has extreme nostalgic value to me. i scoured the house for it but could not find it, not knowing the name of the cookbook makes it that much harder to find. i was looking in my basement for a few hours before i found a spider in one of the boxes of books, and i had to quit because i'm afraid of spiders, so i can't look in the basement anymore for it.

it is a cookbook that i remember reading from in my early childhood and it has extreme nostalgic value to me. i scoured the house for it but could not find it, not knowing the name of the cookbook makes it that much harder to find. i was looking in my basement for a few hours before i found a spider in one of the boxes of books, and i had to quit because i'm afraid of spiders, so i can't look in the basement anymore for it.

If you have boxes of books in your basement, and there's a chance that cookbook is in one of them, I suggest that perhaps you round up a few friends that are not afraid of spiders and ask them to help you.

Tell them you'll provide the drinks and refreshments, and a special bonus to anybody that finds that particular book.

if anyone has any betty crocker cookbooks from the 80's or 70's, please look through them and see if there is a picture of the go square from monopoly in any of its pages, (not the cover though). thanks.

General Mills owned both Parker Brothers (which made Monopoly) and Betty Crocker, so that's the connection.

and i think one of the recipes in this book involved taking green food coloring and putting it on coconut shavings on some kind of weird hamburger.

Definitely sounds like a kid cookbook - the green coconut as a nest or hair....

You might want to contact the people who hold the copyright for the game, Milton Bradly, I believe. Find a trivia loving person there, and ask them. The company would have had to license the use of that image. HTH!

and i think one of the recipes in this book involved taking green food coloring and putting it on coconut shavings on some kind of weird hamburger.

Here is just such a recipe from Betty Crocker. No mention of which book it originally appeared in, but sounds like you're on the right track.

Betty Crocker Hamburger Cookies

There is nothing in the 1972 version either...

thank you very much carolyn for checking.

• Similar Content

• By chefmd
      It's time to get excited about new cookbooks coming out this year.  Hopefully some will also appear on bargain thread.   Here is an article from Food and Wine that lists some of the spring offerings.
      http://www.foodandwine.com/news/cookbooks-spring-2018
    • By ElsieD
      I got an e-mail this morning about the Modernist team's next project - pizza! 

Modernist Pizza is Underway!
      After taking on the world of bread, we’re thrilled to announce the topic of our next book: pizza. Modernist Pizza will explore the science, history, equipment, technology, and people that have made pizza so beloved.

Authors Nathan Myhrvold and Francisco Migoya, with the Modernist Cuisine team, are currently at work conducting extensive research and testing long-held pizza-making beliefs; this quest for knowledge has already taken them to cities across the United States, Italy, and beyond. The result of their work will be a multivolume cookbook that includes both traditional and innovative recipes for pizzas found around the globe along with techniques that will help you make pizza the way you like it.

Modernist Pizza is in its early stages, and although we’ve begun to dig in, we still have a lot of work ahead of us. Although we can’t guarantee when it will arrive at your door just yet, we can promise that this book will deliver the complete story of pizza as it’s never been told before.

In the meantime, we would love to hear from you as we continue to research pizza from around the world. Contact pizza@modernistcuisine.com to tell us about your favorite pizzerias and their pizza. Connect with us on social media to get all the latest Modernist Pizza updates.
    • By JoNorvelleWalker
      Tonight I finished Kristen Kish Cooking, Recipes and Techniques.  Alas these are restaurant or competition dishes, and while I would probably enjoy most of them, I saw nothing that I am compelled to cook.  Nor for that matter am competent to cook.  I commend her for sharing them.  I appreciate her definition of culinary terms.  My only gripe is that after assuring us she uses a Packojet at work, her ice cream recipes call for a home ice cream maker.

Kristen moved me.  I was taken by her back story as a gay interracial adoptee.  I can relate to that.

• By Smokeydoke
      After a delightful brunch at Koslow's Sqirl restaurant in Los Angeles, I've decided to attempt to cook through her cookbook. I'll post my results here.

Please follow along and join in, if you're so inclined. Her food is wonderful, but I will surmise that her true deliciousness comes from using the best and freshest ingredients. I'll do my best to recreate the magic I felt at Sqirl.

Here's the link to her book at Eat Your Books.
    • By Chris Hennes
      A few weeks ago I checked out a copy of Madhur Jaffrey's Vegetarian India from the library, and it is well on its way to earning a permanent place in my collection. I've really enjoyed the recipes I've cooked from it so far, and thought I'd share a few of them here. Of course, if anyone else has cooked anything from the book please share your favorites here, too.

To kick things off, something that appears in nearly every meal I've cooked this month... a yogurt dish such as

Simple Seasoned Yogurt, South Indian-Style (p. 324)