• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storage for powders and potions

paulraphael

Lately, many of us have experienced a multiplication of white powders in the pantry ... xanthan gum, locust bean gum, pectin, agar, dextrose, tapioca maltodextrin, isomalt, other refined starches, sugars, enzymes ...

You gotta put them somewhere. Mine are mostly in plastic bags sitting in a darkroom tray on a pantry shelf. I'm wondering if anyone's come up with a better solution. Legible labels are key ... most of these things are practically indestinguishable from each other.

Notes from the underbelly

I use Cambro containers and label with a P-Touch label printer. Easy and quick to use and there are various widths of tape in different colors so you can do some color coding if you wish.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

They make small ones? Are they clear and airtight?

The smallest are 1 quart/liter. They are clear enough for me, translucent to be exact.

They stack several units high quite securely because of the way the lids are constructed with a higher rim and you can see in this photo how they can be tipped - I could tip them more but would have to reset the ISight timer.

Photo on 2010-03-24 at 05.43.jpg

They are inexpensive and practically indestructible. I freeze stuff in them and then stick them in the microwave to defrost or even heat.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Our local bulk food stores has small plastic containers with lids for $.10 a piece. I use these with labels I stick on them. They stack well. Each holds one cup...just done...and I never keep that much of those powder/potion things at one time anyway.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

When I was in the hospital a while back I discovered Medegen brand polypropylene medical specimen containers and thought they'd be ideal for storing small amounts of spices, powders, etc. I took several home with me and have used them for everything from food products to cosmetics.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

As for labels, Costco recently had a Brother P-Touch label maker on sale so we bought one and it's great.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

When I was in the hospital a while back I discovered Medegen brand polypropylene medical specimen containers and thought they'd be ideal for storing small amounts of spices, powders, etc. I took several home with me and have used them for everything from food products to cosmetics.

Would those be these, Steven? Small, stackable, not too expensive. Minimum order is 100, though.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Similar in appearance to those, though not identical -- but I'm sure they all work the same and if they're good enough for medical specimens they should be good enough for food storage. You can get a smaller quantity if you slip into a hospital or doctor's office and just grab a few, but even if you have to buy 100 of them it's only like thirty bucks for the case.

You're bound to find something that meets your needs at Specialty Bottle.

I forgot about that place, thanks. something like this looks promising. I think I want to go with glass instead of plastic; I find that fine powders often stick to the sides of my plastic containers. Maybe because of static. For labels maybe one of those label makers, or else graphic arts tape and a sharpie (and my serial killer handwriting).

Notes from the underbelly

I like glass. There was a cooking show (Chef at Home?) where the guy's pantry was full of glass bottles and I really liked it. I have people save their jam jars for me (no lingering odor problem like with pickle lids). I end up with different shapes and sizes and lid colors which gives me some flexibility. I soak off the labels and only use the ones with metal lids. I use the blue painter's tape for labels with a sharpie. Only I have to be able to read my handwriting after all. It sticks well but leaves no residue after you peel it off. They are not stackable of course, but you can't beat the price.

ZipLoc makes round 16 oz screw-top containers if that size would work for you. I buy mine at Wal-Mart but I'm sure other stores carry them.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

How well I know that Piles of Plastic Bags on a shelf system. Then you have to sort through all those bags to find the ingredient you want. One day I got so frustrated with this system (non-system?) I impulsively bought all the containers I needed at the Container Store, where the prices are at a premium. (A few days later I was back at the store for something else, and the sales clerk said to me, "I remember you from the other day. You looked like you were on a mission.") If I had to do it all over again, I would go shopping online, like this place:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.aspx?catid=691&parentcatid=845&gclid=CLjMhOeP0qACFQEBiQodeREUzQ

For labels I use pieces of masking tape and a pen. Not fancy, but it's cheap and it works for me.

I buy my spices in bulk from the local health food store - they're fresher and much cheaper than the major brand stuff at the supermarkets.

I keep small quantities of the few everyday spices in recycled Spice Island/Schilling bottles. I'm thinking a masala dabba would be handy.

My bulk spices and spices I don't use often are in mason jars (mainly 1/2 pt), vacuum sealed w/ Foodsaver. Hole punched in lids is covered w/ electrical tape to easily break the vacuum.

Monterey Bay area

Label makers are totally not essential. But they're really cool.

Whether you prefer glass or various kinds of plastic (some are smoother and less reactive than others), I think there's a whole world of container possibilities once you get out of the kitchen mindset and start looking at medical and lab supplies.

After having two kids we found ourselves with a ton of these...

They are 2 oz stackable containers and I use them for everything from spices to stock. They go from freezer to microwave with no problem. They are small, cheap, and stack well.

Edited by syoung68 (log)

Label makers are totally not essential. But they're really cool.

Whether you prefer glass or various kinds of plastic (some are smoother and less reactive than others), I think there's a whole world of container possibilities once you get out of the kitchen mindset and start looking at medical and lab supplies.

I think Steven just wants all of us to start using medical containers :wink:

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

• 3 weeks later...

Canning jars, come in sizes down to 1/2 cup now (1/2 pint). I use the wide mouth sizes exclusively, they stack nicely and are more stable than stacks of the regular mouth jars. Use lids that have not been used for canning yet or that were removed gently without leaving a palpable rise in the lid and with intact-looking rubber seal and you get a nice, airtight seal (albeit not vacuum tight as if you really used them for canning).

Then write on the side of the jars with a regular Sharpie pen. The Sharpie is permanent but will easily come off of a glass surface with a little application of a green scrubbie pad and water--once part of the writing starts to peel off, it will all come off quite easily. No sticky paper labels required. It's a little harder to see when you're labeling something very dark, but very easy for sugar vs cornstarch vs powdered sugar vs salt etc.

And best of all, entirely critter proof--any moths that hatch in your buckwheat stay in the buckwheat, and any mouse in your house goes hungry b/c he can't get into the jars.

2936617563_a0798a2f91.jpg

(spiced gravenstein applesauce from '08, a good year; don't have a good shot of the white stuffs all lined up and already on the flickr, sorry)

Canning jars, come in sizes down to 1/2 cup now (1/2 pint). I use the wide mouth sizes exclusively, they stack nicely and are more stable than stacks of the regular mouth jars. Use lids that have not been used for canning yet or that were removed gently without leaving a palpable rise in the lid and with intact-looking rubber seal and you get a nice, airtight seal (albeit not vacuum tight as if you really used them for canning).

1/2 cup = 4 ounces = 1/4 pint.

Do you find the 2-piece lids truly airtight?