• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confectionery Cookbooks

Beth Wilson

My shop is closed in the winter so I like to take this time to get new recipe books and try some new things out, so tonight I found some interesting books on Amazon and wondered if anyone has an idea what they are about.

The cost is pretty high on them and my usual go to reference person - The Chocolate Doctor - has not heard of them so I thought maybe someone out there has some input!

http://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Confectioner...3195633&sr=1-12

$1936 seems a bit out of this world

And there is a pre-order listing of a book to be released in July

http://www.amazon.ca/Technology-Coated-Cho...3195633&sr=1-11

If anyone has suggestions on more reasonably priced confectionery books I would love to hear them.

Thanks for your input!!

I'm curious to know why that Complete Confectionary Techniques - a paperback no less - can command that kind of price. And it seems to be the 1995 edition. The 1994 and 1999 versions are much cheaper.

It looks like it's published in the UK, so I'm guessing the 1995 edition probably wasn't imported (for whatever reason) – it's ridiculously outpriced on amazon.ca and abebooks (US locations only) too, but amazon.co.uk has it for only £25. Nowhere, however, can I find a picture of this book.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

There are books like this all over Amazon, it's marketplace sellers who have just one or two copies of a book and who list it high in hopes that a wealthy person from another country, or with an expense account, will buy it.

To find more oddities, simple search for a word in the Books category and sort by price, high to low.

I found this description on a UK booksellers web site:

Designed to complement "Complete Pastrywork Techniques", this book completes the series for the serious pastrywork student or chef. It provides in-depth information on sugar, chocolate and marzipan as commodities and as essential ingredients for confectionary work. Each section focuses on key preparation methods and illustrates the basic techniques and finished displays. The book also contains up-to-date information on hygiene and safety in the kitchen. The book is aimed at those working towards competence at NVQ Level 3 and is atructured to help the student work through each of the relevant units.

The book site had a very cheap (UK sterling 7:43 inclusive of postage) used copy which I have ordered so I will post back once I can see what is in the book. I would guess it would be quite basic pastry student instruction level.

But the copies with the high prices are the 1995 version - I can't find a 1995 cheap, just the 1994 and 1999. Must be like a misprinted coin or stamp!

But the copies with the high prices are the 1995 version - I can't find a 1995 cheap, just the 1994 and 1999.  Must be like a misprinted coin or stamp!

Sorry, I wasn't too clear in my post. The 1995 is just as cheap as the other versions if you look at pricing in the UK. It's only when you try to find it in North America that the pricing is insane.

clicky for Amazon UK

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

...and Manufacturing Confectioner has "Choice Confections" by Walter Richmond for $75.00.

I've not seen the Complete Confectionary Techniques book but I own Choice Confections - is the CCT worth that much more?

...and Manufacturing Confectioner has "Choice Confections" by Walter Richmond for $75.00. 

I've not seen the Complete Confectionary Techniques book but I own Choice Confections - is the CCT worth that much more?

Have you found Choice Confections useful? I like the idea of having 2 recipe sizes - small & large batches. Good idea for trying out a recipe.

I've found it somewhat useful. I'm pretty much self-taught and some of the ingredients in the formulas and technigues I am not familiar with, but, I'm working on it, and with the help of reading forums here I'm getting more comfortable. If it wouldn't be risking a copyright infringement, I could post a copy of a Formula here to let you see what they are like - any specific request for a confection?

My shop is closed in the winter so I like to take this time to get new recipe books and try some new things out, so tonight I found some interesting books on Amazon and wondered if anyone has an idea what they are about.

The cost is pretty high on them and my usual go to reference person - The Chocolate Doctor - has not heard of them so I thought maybe someone out there has some input!

http://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Confectioner...3195633&sr=1-12

$1936 seems a bit out of this world

And there is a pre-order listing of a book to be released in July

http://www.amazon.ca/Technology-Coated-Cho...3195633&sr=1-11

If anyone has suggestions on more reasonably priced confectionery books I would love to hear them. 

Thanks for your input!!

I reckon its someone trying their luck. Our local TAFE college (technical college) uses that book and the whole course doesn't ost that much.

Edited by gap (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I have received my copy of Complete Confectionery Techniques and this is pretty much a student primer in working with sugar.

My copy is the 10th impression (1999) of the 1994 edition so maybe the 1995 impression did produce some rare error of printing but I doubt this book is really worth more than a few pounds but is has some fun items in it.

It has quite a small section on chocolate and the pieces they cover remind me a little of those in the Geertz book - dipped flavoured marzipan and dipped fondant, very basic truffle formula with no glucose/invert sugar.

There are a couple of paragraphs on painting with cocoa powder paint (1 part cocoa butter, 2 parts oil and cocoa to the depth of colour wanted) which I had not seen before. Apparently this works quite well on white chocolate eggs.

The whole book is 148 pages and has a reasonable number of colour photos.

the chapter headings are:

Introduction - sugar types, colourings, colour theory, flavourings, equipment

Sugar - working with sugar, tables of temperatures, poured sugar decorations, marbled sugar work, spun sugar, fondant, meringue, piping boiled sugar, pulling sugar, making pulled sugar flowers, baskets and ribbons, blowing sugar to make fruits and other decorations.

Petit Fours - covering sponge petit fours with boiled fondant, almond/marzipan friandises, fruits dipped in boiled sugar, brief description of candying fruit, a few recipes for caramels and fudge, nougat, marshmallow and turkish delight.

Pastillage decoration

Marzipan - recipes for different types of marzipan and several pages on modelling with marzipan, covering a fruit cake with marzipan and a battenburg cake.

Chocolate - theory on how it is made, handling, tempering, pouring, piping, cocoa painting, decorative chocolate run-outs and ribbons, some recipes for cake fillings and icings.

There is only limited theory in here and not the detailed information that Grewelling has on some of the things that can go wrong.

The section I found most interesting was the sugar work as most of my confectionery books focus on chocolate work.

I need to try some of the candy recipes before I can say anything about how good they are. It was worth the few pounds I paid for it and I think one of the authors still teaches sugar and chocolate work in his own school: nicolello

The photos on the web site are quite fuzzy in places but quite a few of the photos of finished products have been taken from the book so you get some idea of what to expect.

cheers, Lapin

That was a great run down on the book and I really appreciate the review. :smile:

I have a lot of chocolate books and I am interested in trying out more sugar works so I think I will track down one of the less expensive copies for myself.

Thanks for the information. Let me know if you try out any of the recipes!

Beth

• 1 month later...

I found a book I could afford on pastillage and sugarcraft.

Pastillage and Sugar Moulding by Nicholas Lodge.

Any opinions about it? Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Any opinions about it?  Thanks.

This book is part of The Art of Sugarcraft series. They are written for use by beginner and pro alike. I keep these books in the "indispensible" section of my personal library, as many of my cake deco and sugarcraft skills are self-taught.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Any opinions about it?  Thanks.

This book is part of The Art of Sugarcraft series. They are written for use by beginner and pro alike. I keep these books in the "indispensible" section of my personal library, as many of my cake deco and sugarcraft skills are self-taught.

Theresa :biggrin:

Thanks, Theresa,

I can't afford the set...which one or ones should I aim for? :huh:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Hi Darienne,

The 'Art of Sugarcraft' series was published in the UK in the mid 1980's and you can often pick them up here second hand, so you might find that a chepaer way of getting the full set.

I bought the Sugar Flowers volume 20 years back when I was trying to decorate my wedding cake and it was very helpful to a beginner.

More recently I bought Chocolate, quite cheaply from an Amazon seller and that book has some really cute ideas for moulding and decorating with chocolate.

regards

Lapin

Hi Darienne,

The 'Art of Sugarcraft' series was published in the UK in the mid 1980's and you can often pick them up here second hand, so you might find that a chepaer way of getting the full set.

I bought the Sugar Flowers volume 20 years back when I was trying to decorate my wedding cake and it was very helpful to a beginner.

More recently I bought Chocolate, quite cheaply from an Amazon seller and that book has some really cute ideas for moulding and decorating with chocolate.

regards

Lapin

Merci Lapin d'or,

I have found the series on Amazon, each of the various books at different prices...some low, and some high. I was going to start with just one.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.