• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut butter buttercream

Michael M

Though I don't dislike the peanut, I'm much more into hazelnuts, pecans and almonds. But a friend of mine loves them. I once created a banana cake (recipe from here) with caramel hazelnut buttercream; she loved it. But she loves peanuts more. I could add some to a chocolate ganache, I'm sure, but I'd like to make a chocolate-free dessert.

I'm thinking peanut brittle whizzed in the fp, then added to buttercream. I'm wondering if creamy pb with whipped cream and something (gelatin) as a stabilizer? Or add straight pb to my (french) buttercream? Any ideas? I like the idea of using the creamy texture of pb somehow!

Though I don't dislike the peanut, I'm much more into hazelnuts, pecans and almonds.  But a friend of mine loves them.  I once created a banana cake (recipe from here) with caramel hazelnut buttercream; she loved it.  But she loves peanuts more.  I could add some to a chocolate ganache, I'm sure, but I'd like to make a chocolate-free dessert.

I'm thinking peanut brittle whizzed in the fp, then added to buttercream.  I'm wondering if creamy pb with whipped cream and something (gelatin) as a stabilizer?  Or add straight pb to my (french) buttercream?  Any ideas?  I like the idea of using the creamy texture of pb somehow!

Michael - the icing in this recipe is a PB buttercream. Really good!

Here's the ingredients for CI's Peanut butter Buttercream:

8 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened

1/2 cup smooth peanut butter (don't use old-fashioned or natural brand)

3/4 cups confectioners' sugar

Pinch table salt

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon heavy cream

I could just eat it with a spoon but as you can see the fat content is over the top. Apparently this makes enough for 12 cupcakes or about 1-1/2 cups.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

But, if you continue to whizz the pbrit in the fp, the friction should melt it down and you will have pralin paste ... well, peanut paste. When I make hazelnut buttercream, I use pralin paste in the buttercream ... couldn't you do the same with the peanut paste?

Theabrom

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

I use some regular, creamy PB (usually Jif, it's the brand we usually have around), softened in the microwave for a few seconds and added to my Italian Meringue Buttercream. It always gets rave reviews, and would be excellent with a banana cake .... :smile: but most often the request is for chocolate cake with the PB buttercream filling. I don't make any changes to the Italian Meringue buttercream (no replacing the butter or sugar).