• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Vegetable Side for a Reveillon

maggiethecat

We'll be in The true North Strong and Free for Christmas and have been invited to a traditional Reveillon on Christmas Eve. The hosts and other guests have the tourtiere, the pickled beets, the baked beans, salad and oysters under control. We've been asked to take a vegetable side dish.

I'd like something festive and a little flashy, no sweet potatoes or green bean casserole, accessible to kiddies and conservative eaters (garlic is certainly allowed) and ridiculously delicious.

I know you fellow eGulls can give a sister an idea or 100. Au secours!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Would a ratatouille work?

Dear Choc Doc, I considered it because 1)I love it 2) It's kinda Christmas colored. But I was thinking something more wintry, if that makes sense.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Or how about a huge batch of the roasted cauliflower?

I'm giggling -- we think alike. I was going to do this until I found out cauliflower will be in the salad.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I've made this chard gratin from Fine Cooking, and it's excellent. Not sure if it counts as festive, but it's pretty dressy for a vegetable, and if you can find rainbow chard, it's very pretty. Plus, it has bacon.

Roasted assorted vegetables, such as red and yellow pepper strips, fennel, carrot strips, red onion, etc.

Roasted Asparagus with Crisp Shallots and orange zest.

Citrus Green Bean Salad (served at room temp) (I halve the green beans and steam them, and use less oil, less salt, and creamy Dijon. I omit the sugar)

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/salad/citrus_g...lad_recipe.html

Carrot Confit - By Jean-Georges Vongerichten

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Biyaldi -- or as Mark Bittman calls, it Layered Vegetable Torte?

I seem to remember it being called Iman Bayeldi, or the Iman Swooned, because of all the olive oil. I'll consider it hard, but with zucchini and eggplant I think of it as a summer dish. I love it of course. Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I've made this chard gratin from Fine Cooking, and it's excellent. Not sure if it counts as festive, but it's pretty dressy for a vegetable, and if you can find rainbow chard, it's very pretty. Plus, it has bacon.

Bacon rules. And until two weeks ago I had rainbow chard growing in my garden. I'll write it down and check out chard availability in Ottawa.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Bacon rules. And until two weeks ago I had rainbow chard growing in my garden. I'll write it down and check out chard availability in Ottawa.

Chard is definitely available in Ottawa but like everything at this time of the year, it's imported.

We'll be in The true North Strong and Free for Christmas and have been invited to a traditional Reveillon on Christmas Eve. The hosts and other guests have the tourtiere, the pickled beets, the baked beans, salad and oysters under control. We've been asked to take a vegetable side dish.

I'd like something festive and a little flashy, no sweet potatoes or green bean casserole, accessible to kiddies and conservative eaters (garlic is certainly allowed) and ridiculously delicious.

I know you fellow eGulls can give a sister an idea or 100. Au secours!

Depending on the type of tourtière on the menu, you might want to go with something light.

What about a vegetable terrine or some kind of aspic? These are fairly traditional réveillon fare that might well fit the bill. I remember seeing pictures of truly amazing vegetarian terrines in some of Charlie Trotter's book.

If you want coloured chard, check out the Herb & Spice Shop on Wellington St. They have amazing veggies that you can't find anywhere else. If you want me to scope it out for you, let me know.

How about Red Cabbage with Maple Syrup and Ginger from All About Braising (Molly Stevens)? It is delicious, a very festive red colour and very Canadian with the Maple Syrup. It also has bacon in it!

I can pm you the receipe if you need it.

I took vegetables for a recent dinner and it was a hit!

Life is short, eat dessert first

If you want coloured chard, check out the Herb & Spice Shop on Wellington St. They have amazing veggies that you can't find anywhere else. If you want me to scope it out for you, let me know.

They even have it at Loblaws from time to time.

How about Pommes Dauphinoise made without cheese - just potatoes, garlic and cream with salt and pepper for seasoning. I use this as my go to dish for events just like these and get rave reviews every time.

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh