• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam

annecros

The notion of a Spam-carving contest put me in mind of this comedy about butter-carving competitions from a decade or so ago. Well worth watching, btw, if your sense of humor skews just that little bit dark.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1349451/

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Just when you think you've seen it all...

Jacques and Spam (and beans)

MADE MY DAY.  (The beans would have to go.)

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

No disrespect towards Jacques Pepin. I just consider Spam two rungs below canned dog food.

I'm a home cook so I do admire his manual skills but what he does bring to mind is watching one of my late uncles who was a master carpenter/cabinet maker work with hand tools.

• Like 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

3 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

No disrespect towards Jacques Pepin. I just consider Spam two rungs below canned dog food.

I'm a home cook so I do admire his manual skills but what he does bring to mind is watching one of my late uncles who was a master carpenter/cabinet maker work with hand tools.

When he does the dog food video, I'll put that up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

There is not even a hint of scorn in his voice as he prepares a meal and tells of his father bringing home cans of Spam during the war and his mother stretching them to two meals. And I am sure he is aware how many millions of people still depend on Spam. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

39 minutes ago, rotuts said:

i guess I can't get too ? instagram.

is this available any other way ?

looking foraged to it.

I am not on instagram and comes right up for me. Google Chrome.

10 minutes ago, heidih said:

I am not on instagram and comes right up for me. Google Chrome.

Ditto, in Firefox.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

There is not even a hint of scorn in his voice as he prepares a meal and tells of his father bringing home cans of Spam during the war and his mother stretching them to two meals. And I am sure he is aware how many millions of people still depend on Spam. 

Maybe even billions?

In any event, you're absolutely correct that it's the story as much as the meal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

39 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Maybe even billions?

In any event, you're absolutely correct that it's the story as much as the meal.

Billions would be really stretching it. 

However if you're looking at the other main component of the recipe, namely legumes (beans, lentils.....) billions would be much more appropriate.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Billions would be really stretching it. 

However if you're looking at the other main component of the recipe, namely legumes (beans, lentils.....) billions would be much more appropriate.

Perhaps billions don't depend on Spam; my guess is that most of them wouldn't mind getting their hands on some!

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 6 months later...

image.thumb.jpeg.8a864867b53bf9c0c7c9f7ac7b81da3e.jpeg

Actual Size, by Ed Ruscha (1962), on view at the Museum of Modern Art, NYC

One of the best-known examples of Edward Rusha’s early works is the painting Actual Size (1962). Like his contemporaries in New York, Pop ArtistsAndy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein, Ruscha focused on subjects that relate to mass production and consumer culture. Actual Size focuses on a can of Spam, a staple in American society during the Cold War era. The top half of the painting depicts the giant brand name from the can of Spam, while the lower half shows the actual can of spam in its true size. The can of Spam seems to be shooting into space like a comet or a cannonball. In small print behind the can, Ruscha wrote ‘Actual Size’. The written text and the title refer to a phrase borrowed from the world of advertising, used to refer to the accuracy of the depiction.

https://www.wikiart.org/en/edward-ruscha/actual-size-1962

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

"a staple in the American society during the Cold War era" 

which would be my child and early adulthood

I never saw a can of spam until college.

Perhaps the Canadians ate it?

21 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Never eaten it in my life nor even purchased it.  And I am a Canadian.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

I don't recall seeing it here until... I dunno, the 90s maybe? We had our homegrown equivalents, mind you, called Kam and Klik.

I never tried SPAM until about twenty years ago on the Big Island Hawaii. Never really noticed it in grocery stores at home. Spam musubi and fried as part of a plate lunch. Interesting to try but not a fan.

• Like 1