• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

annecros

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam

I like Spam so there!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

34 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

I like the idea of musabi but would balk at frying spam in oil. 

It needs no oil - dry pan

• Like 1

Perhaps its appearance in Japan had more to do with starvation of a defeated population and the sudden excess of the product in the "winner" countries? Certainly as a child, after the second world war, Camp Pie (pretty sure it was the same as spam) was a poor peoples food, whereas during the war it was a way to feed the troops, because it kept so well.

3 hours ago, Bernie said:

Perhaps its appearance in Japan had more to do with starvation of a defeated population and the sudden excess of the product in the "winner" countries? Certainly as a child, after the second world war, Camp Pie (pretty sure it was the same as spam) was a poor peoples food, whereas during the war it was a way to feed the troops, because it kept so well.

Indeed. Spam was used to feed starving refugees and others after WW2 in Japan, Guam and other places around Asia.

Eater has a reasonable short history of Spam here .

Asia's present-day fondness for Spam stemmed directly from WWII and following conflicts, during which an entire generation grew up with Spam.

• Like 1