• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Economic Stimulus Check for Food or Kitchen Items

mrsadm

As I said to my husband, when notified we'd be given a check, we are being stimulized! What should we spend it on?

With rice disappearing will any of you be buying 20 or 50 lb bags to hoard for a while?

I myself would like a new TV, with high-def, and a DVR to record cooking shows!

I've already ordered the Rick Bayless brand baking dish that sits in a metal stand, a very nice way to server enchiladas or lasagne at the table: link

How about you?

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

I'm actually donating mine, because I don't like the idea of that former tax money going right back to heads of corporations who already get tax breaks! If I spend the money on something frivolous, I'm pretty much handing it over to the rich, which I suppose was G.W.'s plan all along, right? ;)

I'll be donating it to a local meal program that provides food for low income families in my community. So yes, it's food related.

I'm actually donating mine, because I don't like the idea of that former tax money going right back to heads of corporations who already get tax breaks! If I spend the money on something frivolous, I'm pretty much handing it over to the rich, which I suppose was G.W.'s plan all along, right? ;)

I'll be donating it to a local meal program that provides food for low income families in my community. So yes, it's food related.

me too I am thinking of a wonderful food bank in Tacoma where thousands of folks are fed everyday ...

eta I am not at all judging anyone who wants to do anything fun with it ..this is only my half I am speaking of ..my husband is taking his to help him buy a new camera ..I will inherit his old one and maybe take better food pics myself as a result ..I just can not bring myself to spend my half of is is all

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Since I keep getting an email thats says if I spend it at Walmart it will all be going to China, I am going to take it all to Germany with me

If my money is going anywhere I better be going too

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I'm spending some of mine at the Dane County Farmers Market in Madison WI on heirloom vegetable plants to plant in my Victory Garden. I figure that way I'm benefiting local producers instead of a corporations, I'm helping bring back culinary biodiversity and I'm growing as much of my own produce to eat fresh and can the rest for the winter further avoiding giving it to major grocery chains. How that for the trifecta of socially concious eating?

We're using ours for the security deposit on our new apartment when we move this summer - so a "new" kitchen to cook in! Our kitchen wish list includes a gas stove (we're stuck with electric currently), wood floors, good lighting and upper cabinets we can rip out and replace with open shelving. Wish us luck!

We're spending our's going to a farm in Northern Arizona to learn how to live off the grid and make goat cheese. Basically we're not looking to learn the cheese operation, just basic farm operation overall. That will get us closer to our overall goals of being self sufficient.

What I'd really like is a new induction range, but that would really be self indulgent. :hmmm:

Edited by tmgrobyn (log)
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

We really can't decide - replace the old dishwasher which might last a year or two more, or replace the oven which I. can't. stand. much. longer. It has only three burners, and they're cast iron, which I've never gotten used to (it's been ten years!). We would love to get both at the same time, but I don't think we'll be able to swing that unless there's a super-duper sale.

Actually, I'm really just dreaming. We spent it (before it arrived, of course) on two Abyssinian kittens -- so I guess I can say, kitchen-wise, I'll be using whatever's left to buy cat food! :wub: (And before anybody tells me we should just have gone to the animal shelter, I know, I know, you're right. But DH had his heart set on Abys, and he seldom asks for anything, so I jump to get him what I know he REALLY wants.)

As the owner of two Abys now passed on to their shrimp-eating, corn on the cob loving reward I can guarantee that they'll make you nuts in the best way ever. And don't worry about the price of cat food -- Abys are picky eaters and you'll be steaming them tilapia and chopping tenderloin tartare for them within a few months.

My husband dropped a honeymoon era Copco oval enameled cast iron braiser a few days ago.One handle broke off. I was inconsolable. I still am. I hate Le Creuset for their stupid prices and their faulty knobs, but I'm going to spend some money on a replacement. Crap.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

While not techically the BIG BUX from De Gub'ment that we're all waiting for......

Some friends gave me a $100 gift card that could be redeemed anywhere as a "thank you" for dog-sitting a while ago. After having been on a pretty severe budget since December, it was fun to go shopping today with my unexpected windfall (the check from De Gub'ment is already ear-marked for car maintenance, my pet maintance and ME maintenance.......).

My score today included:

From the local *non-chain* *high-end* kitchen/cooking supply store:

A new Microplane zester (mine was tired. very.......)

A Chicago Metallic 1/4-sheet pan (very HEAVY....cool) (this is the brand recommended for 1/2-sheet pans by Cooks Illustrated)

A set of 11 round cookie/biscuit/scone cutters, ranging from about 1 inch in diameter to about 6 inches in diameter that all nest together in a neat little tin.

From Home Goods:

A 10-inch non-stick tart pan with a removeable bottom (a similar model was about 3x as much at the above store.)

From Target:

An OXO kitchen timer that has a numeric keypad where you can actually PUNCH in the time directly, rather than hitting the "Minute" key 45 times for 45 minutes

From the grocery store of all places:

A serrated blade, harp shaped veggie peeler

A decently heavy, porcelain-coated baking pan, about an inch deep, with a broiler pan top insert. About 8x13x1. Perfect size for me, and my other, similarly-sized "broiler" pans are really light weight and really gross after years of use.

All in all, I'm a happy camper, especially when you consider there was some non-kitchen related "stuff" in my purchases (yes, there *may* have been a pair of shoes....or 2.......).

Although I was also in search of a lame for scoring bread doughs, a flexible, plastic bowl scraper for moving dough and the *perfect* strainer, none of these could be found on this trip. That does not mean, however, that the hunt for these suddenly essential kitchen goodies does not continue..........

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

What I'd really like is a new induction range, but that would really be self indulgent.  :hmmm:

Since I don't get one it's irrelelvant but that's exactly what I would be doing with it if I did. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Since I don't get one it's irrelelvant but that's exactly what I would be doing with it if I did. :biggrin:

They are so cool to cook with! I love that you can set the temp instead of just guess at high or low. :smile::smile:

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Let's see...I ordered the Alinea cookbook, and will probably also get a few inexpensive baking tools. I'm going to Cleveland next month and eating at Lola, going to Westside Market, etc., so a chunk will go there. The rest will probably be going toward a new fridge for my mom and dad for their anniversary. (I'm spending mine and my husband's LOL).

It came!! It came !!

2 weeks till Germany!!

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association