• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are "Strong Vegetables"?

Josho

We're going to be asked about "strong vegetables" on a test this week, and I'm having trouble classifying them.

I understand that cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli are considered strong vegetables. But what about other vegetables with strong flavors, such as peppers, tomatoes, onions, and so on? Does the term "strong vegetables" apply strictly to crucifers?

Thanks in advance for any help!

--Josh

From what little I found it means hard, long cooking veg that are cooked in lots of water...also mentioned turnips :unsure:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli are all strongly flavored and strongly textured--they need cooking to be tender. Cooking also mellows their flavor considerably. They do not taste sweet. They are earthy with a bitter edge.

I would say rutabagas and turnips would fall into that category, too. Maybe kohlrabi (I've forgotten the taste of kohlrabi, it's been so long since I've eaten it).

Beets and celeriac (celery root) would also probably qualify as "strong" vegetables. Beets are sweet, but they are very earthy also.

Radishes have that hard texture, and they taste earthy, but most of all they are spicy.

If fennel qualifies as a strong vegetable, then so does celery.

Some greens like kale and mustard greens have a strong flavor that must be tamed by cooking, but their texture is tender.

Tomatoes and onions are really sweet vegetables. Tomatoes are so sweet that some people think they should be classified as a fruit.

As for peppers, which peppers? Pimentos are sweet and tender. Green bell peppers have a bitter earthy edge but their texture is tender. The hot peppers, I think, belong in a category by themselves. They are strong flavored, but like a spice.

good luck on your test. Interesting question (though since you're the one on the hot seat, you may not view it that way.)

ETA: Oh, and parsnips! Parsnips taste bitter when they are raw, but turn much sweeter when they are cooked.

Edited by djyee100 (log)

Tomatoes and onions are really sweet vegetables. Tomatoes are so sweet that some people think they should be classified as a fruit.

A little off-topic, but I never thought that was why people had that opinion. I thought it was just because tomatoes are actually classified as a fruit in botanical terms, as seeds within a plant ovum usually indicate (meaning other vegetables like peppers, eggplants, zucchinis are also fruits), and people just knew that they were really a fruit better than some of the other vegetables-that-are-really-fruits.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Many thanks to everyone for their assistance. I think I know how to answer this question now.

There seems to be some subjectivity to the answer, which rubs me the wrong way, but I guess that's par for the course I'm taking. ;-)

--Josh