• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marshmallow Foam (iSi Whip)

cupcakequeen

i've searched through the multitude of marshmallow posts, but has anyone tried making a marshmallow base that you could load into an ISI gourmet whip...that could still be torched? just a basic meringue recipe? i haven't tried meringues in it yet.

THanks!

You can do an uncooked soft marshmallow with xanthan and methylcellulose. It's torch-able and will hold it's shape on the plate but it's too soft to cut into cubes or anything like that. It pretty much has to be quenelled or shaped in a form or something. I have no idea what a trip through a whipper would do to it. I might have to try it sometime and see. I have the recipe on file but it's not mine, I found it on a blog, so I can't post it here. I'll try to find it again and give you a link.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'd try just a little corn syrup and gelatin to start, let the ISI do the whipping.

I've done sabayon in my ISIs, the egg yolks don't clog it up, so hopefully egg whites would cooperate as well, it's all in how you strain it, right?

Tri2Cook, is this the recipe you were thinking of?

In any case, you can definitely use egg white in an iSi whipper. Adria uses them to make hot foams, like his hot/cold gin fizz. I don't know enough about marshmallow making to go further than that, but I'd love to hear what you come up!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

That's the one. I saved the recipe because I wanted to see if I could tweak it a bit but I never got back to it. I did try it as written and felt that more of the classic marshmallow was lost in all of that confectioners sugar than I could live with. It tasted as described though... somewhere between marshmallow cream and a confectioners sugar glaze or icing.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Just for kicks, I whipped up a batch of that marshmallow cream tonight, but now I have a question: how do I store it? Room temp or in the fridge?

Going through the process, it looks like all you're doing is introducing air into a sugar-water mix and stabilizing it with the methylcellulose and xanthan gum. So in principle, I don't see any reason you couldn't introduce the air using an iSi whipper instead of a whisk, but I'm not sure how that would work in practice.

It sure is pillowy-soft and tasty, anyway.

Edit: typo.

Edited by mkayahara (log)

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

i would use egg white powder. Considering egg whites are about 10% albumen, try working with 40% egg white powder to 60% water, and I would reccomend using glucose with the recipe. Glucose will help you get that shiny dense texture, and with the added protein it should be quite strong as well. Blends of xanthan and iota carrageanan or xanthan and methylcellulose can help stabilize. Do not go over .25% xanthan though.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea