• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Remembering Restaurants of the Past

NJ2FLA

Was the Ferraras in Newark the same 'family' that owns the one in Little Italy? I like to go there for Cheesecake after supper in China Town at Wo Hop.

I don't recall the Wayne Pizza mentioned by LNorman. Must have been over by the Wayne PAL and the Dodge dealer. I remember when the now Japanese place by the hotel on 23 was a chinese place. We used to go there with my mom and dad and have a poo-poo platter.

My grandparents used to go to the Jade Fountain in Clifton (across the street from Rutts Hut). We used to go to Ding Ho in Passaic. Both long gone.

• 5 months later...

Oriental Yum-Yum at the Morris County Mall...it's where my dad introduced us to (real) Chinese food! My bro and I were probably 9 and 7 at the time, and we had our first taste of moo shu and discovered that there was more to Chinese food than chicken chow mein. We became regulars there and the owner always made a fuss over us, esp when it was my b'day, b/c it falls so close to the Chinese New Year. When Yum-Yum closed, they reopened in what is now (I think) a jewelry store in Florham Park. It was fancier, I was older, and somehow it was never the same.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Funnyyou mention the Claremont Diner; it was one of the first places my friends and I went to to hang out after we got our driver's license. I think it's b/c it was far enough from home that we felt like we were really OUT. And/or, we'd end up there on the way home from NYC--with a stop at the White Castle for the guys, of course. There or the (now defunct) Dakota Diner in Pine Brook; probably spent more time there or at (still open but redone and just not the same) Paul's Diner in Mountain Lakes.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I think most, if not all, of my college (Rutgers) eating dives are gone:

Greasy Tony's

Campus Pizza

Evelyn's

The Ledge

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

No one mentioned Chan's ....rt 17 Mahwah is long long gone and the one on Rt 4 Paramus too, they had this pounded cornstarch dusted filet of beef dish that was amazing plus all the cocktails a 16yr old could handle......the rt 17 one was briefly called Hunan Taste and had this dish called subgum wonton was "everything" sort of sweet and sour with fried wontons ...my date and i went so often and behaved so well we had our own table and got free drinks all the time...we ordered shrimp fried rice just to hear the waiter say it back....Now its a River Palm or something

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I fondly remember the Southern House in Point Pleasant.

Wings, Fried Onion Loaf and their sublime ribs.

that place was so wildly successful from day one that i can't imagine why they didn't re-open after the fire. unless the owners decided to just buy an island somewhere and retire.

in all my life, i've never seen so many people wait in lines so long for food. except for maybe the pancake house in point beach.

"I remember Don's with the pictures of all the people. Has anyone ever occupied that building since?"

There was a  restaurant there for a short time. I think it is a nursery school or office building now.

The original owner (an old man) sold it to some new guys. The new guys ran it for awhile, but decided it wasn't for them. Reading through the books, the new guys told the old owner that if he didn't take it back, they'd report his discrepancies to the IRS. Reluctantly, the old man took it back.

Too old to want to deal with the restaurant business, and unable to find a true new owner, Don's folded.

It's now a children's preschool/learning center.

Such a shame, Don's made a great burger!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

And, Gruning's on the mountain in south orange. A nice place to stop for ice cream, and snuggle with your honey at the overlook. Other Grunings in South Orange center and Millburn, opposite the Finast market.

I miss Grunnings so much. My favorite ice cream of all time. Can't believe somebody else posted about this place. I was just about to bring it up myself.

There was one in Caldwell as well--where I used to go the most. I think it's the Rainbow Restaurant now.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

"I remember Don's with the pictures of all the people. Has anyone ever occupied that building since?"

There was a  restaurant there for a short time. I think it is a nursery school or office building now.

The original owner (an old man) sold it to some new guys. The new guys ran it for awhile, but decided it wasn't for them. Reading through the books, the new guys told the old owner that if he didn't take it back, they'd report his discrepancies to the IRS. Reluctantly, the old man took it back.

Too old to want to deal with the restaurant business, and unable to find a true new owner, Don's folded.

It's now a children's preschool/learning center.

Such a shame, Don's made a great burger!

The real downfall of Don's was when

Livingston banned the consuption of food in the parking lot of restaurants. Goodbye Don's Drive-in.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

My childhood memories were:

Buxtons in Berkeley Hts

East Winds- Rt 22 Watchung

Aunte Mames- Stirling

H. A. Winstons- Rt 22 Springfield?

Tower Steakhouse-Rt 22

Burger Express-New Providence

Sneaky Pete's- Millburn

Tepp's-Linden

I'm sure there's more that I can't think of right now.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

I miss Poor Henry's in East Hanover, on the banks of the Passaic River on Eagle Rock Ave. On the same site now is Ravello's.

Nothing particularly exceptional about Poor Henry's. My parents used to take our family there when I was a child.

good times...

"The Hunt" in Ridgewood good Sliced Steak Sandwiches with Brown Butter.

"The Tavern" in Newark somehow it felt like my idea of a real restaurant.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.