• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The catering job I've been waiting for

Tri2Cook

I've been waiting for one of these since I started doing catering and finally got one. Three weeks advance notice multi-course dinner for 20-24 (they'll let me know the exact number by the end of this week), no menu to be approved... they want to be surprised, money is not an object... what it costs is what it costs. The only stipulation is that they would like chicken (her choice) and prime rib ("small end rib roast" if you prefer - his choice) to be included in it. I can do them any way I want as long as they're on the menu. Should be fun.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Errrr... well... that depends how well it goes off. :biggrin: Actually, that's probably not true. I've posted more of my failed and less-than-spectacular experiments and ideas here than I have my successes. I figure there are at least hundreds if not thousands here that can do what I do well as well or better with their eyes closed but some of my messes are in a league of their own. I got an "inside tip" that they're hoping to see at least a couple amuse before getting into the serious stuff which is fine with me, those are fun. I think they're picturing a choice of the chicken or the beef but I'm leaning more towards incorporating both on the plate or doing them as two seperate courses. Since it's my decision, I'll be going with one of those plans. :raz: I'm sure I'll be popping in for suggestions and brainstorm sessions before it's over... especially when it comes to wine selections.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Brainstorm Session 1: Pickerel (Walleye) Fillets

I have access to super fresh local Pickerel (Walleye) and want to incorporate it into an amuse or small salad. As you probably know, it's a really delicate, mild fish. I started out thinking of incorporating local wild blueberries but even that may be too much for this fish. I also considered a small salad of local Fiddleheads (they're out of season so I'd have to use some that I blanched and froze but all fruit/veg is out of season here now, we're buried in snow and cold temps for the next few months) topped with a piece of the fish. Maybe a super-light tempura or a small piece in a bowl with some sort of delicate puree or broth. Anyway, that's where I'm at with this one so far, very much at the beginning. Any ideas, suggestions, other directions to explore with it are welcome and appreciated.

Sounds like fun! I recently solicited some eG input for a similarly sized catering endeavour on this thread. Unlike your gig, mine will not be a big budget affair but I did get some great ideas.

Have you got any more details ironed out? Is it sit and serve, buffet, fingerfoods only? Is their a regional/cultural dimension?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Well, a guy a short distance north of me (very short distance but you have to fly in because the ice on the lakes isn't deep enough for the winter ice roads yet) is licensed to sell his catch so I can get it in from that morning's catch but, in the interest of not getting caught with my pants down on the day of the job, I don't really want to depend on getting it day-of. The weather can be too unpredictable this time of year and a canceled flight that day would be a problem. My other choices would be caught day-before or frozen. The frozen is coming out of almost-freezing water into sub 0 F. air, filleted, vacuum bagged and frozen in blocks of ice. He puts the bags in plastic pails, fills them with almost freezing water, lets it freeze (which doesn't take long) and it's ready to go. I've used a lot of his fish, fresh and frozen, and it's always excellent but I've never used it uncooked. I always thought raw freshwater fish was a risky venture?

Have you got any more details ironed out? Is it sit and serve, buffet, fingerfoods only? Is their a regional/cultural dimension?

Sit and serve. The people I'm doing it for are friends of the owner of the restaurant where I work and the owner is also my partner in the catering business (which is seperate from the restaurant... I just work there, I'm not a partner) so we're going to do it at the restaurant on a closed night. I'll be in my own kitchen and we have three of our servers who wanted to make the extra money before the holidays coming in to handle that job.

Not fingerfoods only. They mentioned to someone else that they thought 2 or 3 amuse would be fun because you can't really get that sort of thing anywhere around here but the meal itself will be a full plated main course or two smaller courses depending how I decide to handle the beef/bird request.

Edit: Be careful what you wish for! I just got a call saying the local chapter of the Lion's Club wants us to do almost the same thing for them (my menu but they did set a per plate cost they want to stay within for this one). It's for fewer people (probably 12 - 14) and 2 days before the other one. I'll be doing it in one of the club member's home so that will be more challenging. They want small apps/cocktails ~5:30pm and dinner ~7pm.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

Ok, so I'm going to test one idea I had tonight. I'm going to try a warm mousse (using agar and a cream siphon) of Fiddlehead puree under a piece of the fish. The flavor of the Fiddlehead is mild and local. I may even put a small piece of crispy back bacon on the fish, pickerel wrapped in bacon is a popular local app so I would basically be dressing up the familiar a bit. We'll see how the test goes.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

Ok, so I'm going to test one idea I had tonight. I'm going to try a warm mousse (using agar and a cream siphon) of Fiddlehead puree under a piece of the fish. The flavor of the Fiddlehead is mild and local. I may even put a small piece of crispy back bacon on the fish, pickerel wrapped in bacon is a popular local app so I would basically be dressing up the familiar a bit. We'll see how the test goes.

That sounds like a creative and potentially delicious item. Personally, I don't think I could bring myself to puree a fiddlehead - that tight green juicy spiral is spring IMO. I suppose since they are off season and frozen the deed would be easier.

May I ask where approximately your pickerel lake is located? Be vague, of course, its just that I've fished all over Ontario (even James Bay) and miss it terribly since moving out east.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

They're from a short puddle-jumper hop north of Sioux Lookout, ON.

I know what you mean about the fiddleheads but since it's not the season I'm ok with it.

Just my 2c,

I think you should stay away from freshwater fish ceviche.

When I think walleye (AKA dore in Quebec) I think nugget. This may appear to be lack luster, but you put a pile of walleye nuggets (simply tossed into seasoned flour then fried golden) in front of a crowd and they disappear FAST.

Maybe incorporate a nugget into an amuse?

One of my all time favorites (personally as well as customer based) is grilled prime rib. First carve the rack of bones off the roast. Next rub plenty of steak spice on the surface where the ribs just were. Tie the ribs back to the roast and rub the entire hunk with steak spice, wrap the entire thing in plastic and refrigerate overnite. This is the first building block of flavor.

Next day, let the meat come to room temp, then place it on a rack in a hot 525 degree oven for an hour. This sears the meat building more flavor.

After it cools somewhat, cut the strings, removing the rack of ribs. All of this can be done 2-3 days in advance.

Just before service, let the meat come to room temp again (its been wrapped in the 'fridge) slice portions and finish on the grill, adding even more flavor.

Oh baby, pure joy. You can also cut the rib bones individually, grill 'em, and serve them to some lucky recipients.

But thats just my suggestion for prime rib.

I think you should provide two dishes, beef or chicken, rather than incorporate the two on one plate. Again, only my opinion.

GL and keep us in the loop.

I ran the cheese course idea by them. They said they agreed to leave it in my hands but they definitely would not be upset if I don't do a cheese course. So I'll take that as a "no". Too bad, would have been a good excuse to buy all kinds of nice cheeses. I like cheese.

I always get this urge to plan all kinds of flashy ideas and always end up deciding in the end to keep it simple (I'm pretty sure I'm not lazy so I don't know why that happens) so here's where I'm at right now (nothing new or groundbreaking to be found)...

- undecided (amuse... may skip this one)

- pickled quince w/ honey, rosemary and pine nuts (amuse)

- walleye on chard (or maybe collards if I can find nice ones, wasn't happy with the condition of the fiddleheads so I scrapped that idea) w/ roasted beet and walleye broth

- roasted chicken breast w/ wild rice, carrot brulee and chicken-infused brown butter

(maybe a cleanser, a very small bite... maybe not)

- prime rib w/ warm roasted parsnip mousse, caramelized onions and something green and in season

- pre-dessert, ice wine gelee (very small)

- dessert: still deciding, this isn't the same job I was discussing in the other thread regarding the borrowed dessert idea

I know this looks like a lot in print but I've been very careful with the portion planning.

So I do have one rather important question. There is one area they didn't leave up to me, they don't want wine pairings for the courses. They want a wine available for those who want it. Yes, a wine... as in one. Something that will appeal to the casual wine drinker and fit into the menu fairly well. So, ummm, HELP PLEASE!!!

Edit: Now that I look at it, considering I've been waiting for a "do what you want" job, this is kinda unexciting isn't it?

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

I think its coming together nicely. Have you thought about something other than chicken breast? This would be a good time to try something new and show them something really interesting. I was bumming around studiokitchen and saw this

http://studiokitchen.typepad.com/studiokit.../escabeche.html

Maybe wouldn't fit into your menu, but it might spark some ideas of interesting ways to meet your chicken requirement.

Edit:

Thought about cheese course. You could something like at Zuni Cafe and just offer a single excellent cheese with a well made garnish. This might be a little less intimidating for your clients, and easier for you.

Wine: The pinot would be a good choice I think. There no way they'd let you get away with just 2 wines? That would sure free you up some.

Edited by MattJohnson (log)

That chicken sounds really good. I have 12 different types of pepper powders on hand including both sweet and hot smoked paprikas so it would be doable. I'm just not sure it fits into the overall homey/wintery flow of the menu. Definitely one to keep in mind though.

A single cheese w/ garnish is a possibility to consider.

I may be able to get away with 2 wines, I'll push for it, but I'll keep the pinot in mind in case they won't budge.

That chicken sounds really good. I have 12 different types of pepper powders on hand including both sweet and hot smoked paprikas so it would be doable. I'm just not sure it fits into the overall homey/wintery flow of the menu. Definitely one to keep in mind though.

A single cheese w/ garnish is a possibility to consider.

I may be able to get away with 2 wines, I'll push for it, but I'll keep the pinot in mind in case they won't budge.

Hello, please allow a noob his two cents. I think an elegantly presented walleye tempura is a great idea. With some interesting and colorful acrutraments.

I'd be a little careful with chard or collards with such a mild fish. Walleye is huge around here and I serve it all the time.

You could play with the fish n chip theme and include julienned fried potatoes in the presentation. Or if you have a spiral slicer, thin, spiral cut strings fried into a "nest" and placed on top of the fish for presentation. Maybe a Asian inspired red cabbage slaw under the fish tempura (good color and crunch) potato garnish on top of that, some whimsical colored garnish sauces on the plate. When doing these kinds of dinners I like playing with the "dichotomy" of the courses.

Consider including beer with the dinner. They don't sound like "wine-oes" and a well crafted beer would go great with this course.

www.saltyskitchen.com

Thanks for your thoughts Saltydog. I did a test run of the fish with chard and it wasn't too delicate for it to work but I have a couple other ideas I want to try that I think may be more fun without sacrificing flavor. I want to work a couple things in that will be unusual to them along with the more familiar stuff. About 1/3 or so of the menu I listed below has been reconsidered and I'm testing other ideas. I have another job similar to this one coming up friday so I'm concentrating more on it right now but I'm still trying out a few things for this one at the same time.

An aged Manchego (6-12 months) is always a sure winner. Paired with fresh figs (very winter like fruit) and a smear of honey or quince paste. Most people don't realize how good cheese is until given the opportunity to savor as a course unto its self. Good Luck. I am a Catering Director and this cheese never fails to get raves. I will now return to what we in catering know as hell on a stick but is more commonly called December... :wacko:

I'll have a look around and see what I can find but finding good cheeses here is right up there with finding an igloo in Hawaii. No time to order it in, Monday is showtime for this one.

I had another, much more casual job last night. It went well. It was apps/cocktails at 6, dinner served family style at 7 and a plated dessert. It was for 17 people and no table service required so I did it solo.

apps:

- duck breast w/ mushrooms cooked in duck fat and blueberry/port reduction.

- butter poached shrimp on a slice of ripe plantain that was fried in butter, tossed in a mixture of sugar, salt, chipotle powder and smoked paprika and topped with a generous pinch of spray dried coconut milk. I served these in spoons with a drizzle of the shrimp poaching butter.

- honey-jalapeno glazed chicken pops (a request, I hate making chicken pops)

main:

- pork loin: butterflied, lined with prosciutto slices and apple/cornbread stuffing, tied and slow roasted.

- wild mushroom risotto

- green beans pan fried w/ bacon and onions

dessert:

- chocolate biscuit soaked with framboise, fresh raspberries and chocolate/raspberry mousse in dome molds, sprayed with white chocolate and topped with a raspberry tuile basket filled with fresh raspberries.

hathor: Chicken pops are annoying little pains-in-the... errr... they're the drumette part of the chicken wing with all of the meat pushed down to one end and the exposed bone "lollipop stick" cleaned of any remaining meaty bits then cooked/seasoned/sauced as desired. I never list them, I never offer to do them, I get a surprisingly (to me anyway) large number of requests for them.

So my final menu for tomorrow ended up slightly different than it started and I was inspired by suggestions here to add a little more spice to a few items...

- cocoa rub pork tenderloin cubes w/ caramelized cocoa nibs, passionfruit coulis and ancho chile oil

- salad greens w/ pickled quince, rosemary and pink peppercorns

- walleye w/ grapefruit reduction and chocolate consomme

- chicken breast w/ chicken and smoked paprika infused butter, wild rice and warm orange-carrot gelee

- cleanser

- prime rib w/ mushroom ketchup and caramelized onions, warm roasted parsnip mousse and pan fried beets with greens

- ice wine gelee w/ roasted red grapes

- deconstructed Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte

They wouldn't budge on the wine so Pinot Noir it is and I'll also have a good beer available as well. After making a couple calls and scouring the area, I couldn't get a decent cheese in time so that's going to have to wait for another time.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

I like your final menu. I think spicing it up a bit is a great idea. The walleye sounds really interesting. If you get a chance, snap a pic. I'd love to see it.

Too bad about the wine, but I think having some great beer is a great idea.

Lastly, be careful serving cleanser. Most of it is toxic - I don't advocate drinking Lysol. :D

Edited by MattJohnson (log)