• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deli Meats in Seattle (besides Salumi)?

Occasionally we'll decide on the spur of the moment to have cured meats, cheese, and bread for dinner. So if we decide this on a Wednesday night or a Saturday afternoon, obviously we can't go to Salumi for meat.

I've been to DeLaurenti's, but wasn't particularly thrilled with what I got (mortadella and cappacola, if I remember correctly). Also, DeLaurenti sells meats from Salumi at a huge markup (something like $30 per pound for lamb prosciutto) which makes me wonder how much they're marking up everything else in the store. What are some other alternatives?

Delaurenti's in the market... cause they're in the market they're open every day? maybe closed sundays? They actually carry a selection of meats from Salumi, and a famed NYC producer... Btw, they have great sandwiches at reasonable prices in their cafe section.

Edited by tonguesandwich (log)

What about the german deli on Roosevelt at about 50th.  The Continental Store?

That place is unfortunately gone.

What about Whole Foods? They are now carrying stuff from Golden Farms, and IMHO, the mortadella ROCKS. I also like the cappacolas they make, both a spicy one and a black pepper one. The salamis I'm have from there are just, eh. But I haven't tried all of them. My fave for dry wine salami is the Molinari, and you can find that one at Met Markets and I think at QFC.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Delaurenti's in the market... cause they're  in the market they're  open every day? maybe closed sundays?  They actually carry a selection of meats from  Salumi, and a famed NYC producer...  Btw, they have great sandwiches at reasonable prices in their cafe section.

They are open Sundays; I was just there today. (Don and Joe's, the butcher, is closed on Sundays.) I've enjoyed the sandwiches too.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

creepy girl,

i like the finnochiona (too many n's?) from Met Market. they have great cheese too. i second the rec for molinari as well. the other benefit (IMO) to WF &/or met market is the pickle/olive situation. i am a big fan of cornichon and olives with my cheese. none of the meat is as great as salumi, but it definitely enables the graze whenever.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

What about the german deli on Roosevelt at about 50th.  The Continental Store?

That place is unfortunately gone.

Actually, it's not gone, just moved a couple of blocks north to this address:

Continental Store, Inc.

5200 Roosevelt Way N.E.

Seattle, WA

(206) 523 0606

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

i'll add another endorsement for De Laurenti. they carry the Alps prosciutto and soppressata (made in NYC), which is just about the only non-Salumi cured meat i've seen Salumi carry. (Alps doesn't really need Armandino's vote of approval, but given some folks' Salumiphilia, it can't hurt.)

some of the Whole Foods meats i've had were so bad as to be almost inedible. also, i've seen them misspell San Daniele. at $25/pound, you damn well better know how to spell what you're selling me.

Occasionally we'll decide on the spur of the moment to have cured meats, cheese, and bread for dinner.  So if we decide this on a Wednesday night or a Saturday afternoon, obviously we can't go to Salumi for meat. 

I've been to DeLaurenti's, but wasn't particularly thrilled with what I got (mortadella and cappacola, if I remember correctly). Also, DeLaurenti sells meats from Salumi at a huge markup (something like $30 per pound for lamb prosciutto) which makes me wonder how much they're marking up everything else in the store.  What are some other alternatives?

Heh. Noting that you did say you'd already checked out DeLaurenti's ... :smile:

How about Borracchini's down on Rainier Ave.? I confess that I have not personally tried any of their cured meats, nor have any idea who makes them (when I lived in Seattle I mainly went there to get cakes--their carrot cake is IMO to die for). But I do recall their deli department doing a land-office business whenever I went in there.

• 2 years later...

Besides Salumi, where can I find the best deli meats/cold cuts in Seattle? I am looking for more than what you typically find at QFC or Safeway. I would like to find German bologna and Cotto and other meats for a friend's hoagie party.

I don't have a car and live in Wallingford, so the closer to me the better.

Edited by elswinger (log)

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Besides Salumi, where can I find the best deli meats/cold cuts in Seattle?  I am looking for more than what you typically find at QFC or Safeway.  I would like to find German bologna and Cotto and other meats for a friend's hoagie party. 

I don't have a car and live in Wallingford, so the closer to me the better.

Try either DeLaurenti's in Pike Place Market or

Cascioppo Brothers in Crown Hill

2364 NW 80th St

Seattle, WA 98117

(206) 784-6121

Miulang

Edited by miulang (log)

Bavarian Meats at Pike Place Market. Favorite with my daughter.

elswinger, in the other thread you said you only found Oscar Mayer and Kroger at QFC. Did you try the deli case? The Broadway QFC where we shop has Boar's Head and some other meats that are much better than what you find in the packages.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Try the new Meridian Market in Tangletown. I can't remember what brands they carry but I guarantee they will be better than what QFC has to offer.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Porcella is Awesome!  :biggrin:

Their cold cut plate is good, but we got gypped out of the bread that was supposed to come with it (didn't notice until we were at Meydenbauer Park, though, and it was too much of a hassle to go back and ask for it). But the gaufrettes are indeed awesome.

Miulang

elswinger, in the other thread you said you only found Oscar Mayer and Kroger at QFC. Did you try the deli case? The Broadway QFC where we shop has Boar's Head and some other meats that are much better than what you find in the packages.

Unfortunately I shop at the QFC on 45th in Wallingford, which might be the worst QFC there is. I should just take the bus down to the Market. I didn't realize that the place on Roosevelt was still open.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I'm a vegetarian so I'm perhaps not the best source for this, but doesn't the little market across from the Wallingford QFC that sells parmesan and olive oil and tupelo honey carry some Italian cured meats?

I'm spacing out on the name of her shop... maybe Bella Cosa. It's directly across from Chocolati.

Edited... oh, someone else did point that out. Nevermind, move along then...

Unfortunately I shop at the QFC on 45th in Wallingford, which might be the worst QFC there is. I should just take the bus down to the Market. I didn't realize that the place on Roosevelt was still open.

Edited by JasonTrue (log)

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

if you want to come to the Tacoma area I will tell you about three places I know that would be a real treat for a deli meat/cheese/bickles/mustards/bread lover!!!

ps the prices, real ethnicity and the variety are worth the trip!

one is a German deli with a bakery and the other 2 are Eastern European markets

One I have not visited in a while and will this week in case you want to come this way...

the truth is ..any excuse to visit these markets they all have great cheese, meat and bread!!! along with stuff you find no where else at such good prices!!!

let me know and I will post where they are ..one I can not give you the name of because I can not read it ..I think it is in Ukranain

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Now that we've bravely ventured outside the Seattle city limits...

Hans' Sausage & Deli in Burien is a great German deli, offering a mix of stuff made in-house and imported from the Vaterland.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Oh yeah - North on Aurora, before Edmonds somewhere, is another "European" Deli - very eastern European. Some crazy meats and sausages, those charming and occasionally good fancifully wrapped chocolates from Russia and elsewhere, blinzes, videos...It's on the East side of the street - a little strip mall oriented perpendicula to the street, mainly facing south. Vague enough?