• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Did I make clotted cream?

prasantrin

I found an opened carton of cream in my fridge--well past it's best before date. I opened it (I've used old unopened cream before with no ill-effects), and found the cream had separated into solids and liquids, but the liquid part did not seem to have a spoiled flavour.

Did I accidentally make clotted cream? And can I use the liquids as one would use buttermilk?

Edited by prasantrin (log)

If it tastes and smells all right, I'd say you're good to go. I'm too lazy to go check a reference, but I think clotted cream presupposes a heat source. I'd be more inclined to call the more solid part clabber or creme fraiche.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I'm not too lazy :raz:

A few web definitions:

webexhibits.com says,

Or clabbered creme. A type of thick cream with a yellowish crust from the English counties of Devon and Cornwall. Clotted cream is an essential ingredient of a cream tea . It contains an average fat content of 63% (the minimum is 55%) and is produced by cooking full-fat milk over a bain-marie. Known as creme fraiche in France, racreme in Scandanavia, and in England and America as clabber cream. ("Clabber" is an archaic word for a cupboard or pantry.)

campcuisine.com says,

Clotted cream or Devonshire cream is made by slowly heating rich, unpasteurized milk to about 179F degrees and holding it that temperature for about an hour. A very thick, yellow layer of clots or coagulated clumps of cream forms on the top. It has a minimum fat content of 55 percent.

So your answer is 'no'. And for posterity's sake, here is what www.buyapersonalchef.com says about creme fraiche,

Crème Fraiche is made by mixing buttermilk, which has bacteria with cream and allowing it to sit at room temperature until it thickens.

Hmmm...so it seems I have none of the above! Well, since it doesn't taste spoiled, I'll do as Smithy suggests and give it a go. I'll try it on an evening when I don't have to be anywhere the next day, just in case I have some unpleasant side effects... :unsure:

I'm not as brave as you. I've found cream in that condition, poured off the liquid (smelled fine), poked and prodded at the solids (smelled fine too) and said "interesting" as I tossed it in the trash can. I'm curious to hear what you think about it (and curious to hear what you think about it the next morning as well :raz: ).

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Very high butterfat (extra-heavy cream) will separate naturally if left undisturbed for a few days even if kept in the coldest part of the refrigerator.

I have used heavy cream (which holds better than lower fat non-cultured dairy products) several days past the "sell-by" date. Unless there is discoloration, pink, gray, green, etc., or an unpleasant sour smell, I use it and have never noticed any problems. Of course, I grew up on a farm using pasteurized but not homogenized milk and milk and cream intended for butter, cheese, etc., was left unrefrigerated (but in a very clean dairy room) to "clabber" or culture, which developed a "cheesy" smell that was not the soured smell of spoiled dairy.

Clotted cream is made by gently heating cream over very low heat for and extended period, until it develops a "crust" on the top and is very thick.

I recently used Trader Joe's heavy cream (in the plastic pint bottles) 20 days after the "sell-by" date and it was perfectly good. Trust your nose.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett