• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good ribs?

swissmiss

Not sure of your definition of "central" but Pops in Madison was judged best in show by the munchmobile for ribs.

If I can find the article on bbq, I'll see what else they liked...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

... I should have specified Union and Middlesex counties as my idea of central NJ, but will drive for ribs!

Of the three suggestions I made, only Big Ed's is in Middlesex County, but just on the border of Monmouth. (The others are in Monmouth Cty.) I consider these areas of the state as "south central."

Famous Dave's in Mountainside. I can't believe that people don't bring this place up. Best "St. Louis" style ribs I've had in NJ. Caveats: restaurant is part of a chain and everything inside is prefabed. Wait staff is young, eager to please but too inept to do so on several occassions. Food makes up for these complaints, brisket is excellent, chopped pork (what they call their pulled pork) is good and I've already given the ribs my stamp of approval. Potato salad is also very good but the other sides left my dissappointed. As with most chains sodas and ice tea come in a bottomless cup. Place is very crowded at dinner so plan accordingly. Rt 22 east in Mountainside.

• 1 year later...
The following are good spots for tasty ribs:  Atlantic BBQ in Belmar,  Memphis Pig Out in Atlantic Highlands, and Big Ed's BBQ in Old Bridge.

Knowing that I'd be passing by, I called to check the operating hours of Atlantic BBQ. The phone (732-681-8811) has been disconnected. Another place, Southern House of Ribs in Point Pleasant Beach, burned to the ground about a year ago. Is this a trend? Have the pitmasters been playing with matches?

Any suggestions for real barbecued (i.e., smoked) ribs, unencumbered by gloppy, sugary sauces, and preferably not those toylike babybacks, in the stretch from, say, Belmar to Barnegat? Establishments still doing business are strongly preferred.

Edited by ahr (log)

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

I haven't been in a long time, but Tiffany's on Rt22 (JUST off the GSP) in Union (and also now in Morris Plains and Pine Brook, if I remember right) used to have good ribs, and that's one of their selling points, so I assume they still do. Caveat: they do have sauce on them--a sauce that I didn't care for so much at room temp, but greatly enjoyed when it had been cooked on the ribs. Amazing what heat'll do for some flavors!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Further research on Atlantic BBQ:

• Superpages.com lists it at 308 Ninth Avenue, Belmar, 732-681-8811.
  • www.atlanticbbq.com lists it at 805 Belmar Plaza, 732-681-8811.
  • As noted upthread, that phone number has been disconnected.

Curious, I drove by, though I had no time to stop.

• 308 Ninth Avenue is a private home, squarely in the middle of a residential neighborhood.
  • 805 Belmar Plaza houses what looks like the former Atlantic BBQ, a grungy storefront with a different name and a different phone number.

It looks like Mr. Atlantic sold his business, transferred the phone number to his home, and then let the number lapse. Next time I'm around, I'll stop in.

"To Serve Man"

We ate at Atlantic BBQ twice. I can't remember if it was last year or the year before. I can attest to the fact that it was located in the Belmar Plaza, in the back, on the right near the end, next to what I think is a luncheonette-type place.

Though "grungy" might be too strong a word, the space had absolutely no ambiance whatsoever. Not much place to sit. Just a couple of booths in the back. But, then, there wasn't much in the way of business either The young guy who owned it made most of the items himself. The ribs were delicious, as was the homemade barbecue sauce. Sides were fair, some better than others.

We happened to be near Belmar a few months ago and drove over to Atlantic, but it was closed and did have the look of being out of business, though we thought it might just be temporary because it was the off season. Since the web site is still up, maybe it will re-open when the weather gets warmer?

Though I haven't been to the Big Ed's in Belmar, I have been to the Old Bridge location, so I presume they're similar -- a real sit-down restaurant with decent barbecue. If Atlantic is out of business, :sad: it could be because of this competition.

On a side note, our last foray into the world of bbq was at the new Famous Dave's, on Route 1 South, in New Brunswick. Since this is a chain, we were shocked to find that the food was actually very good. The biggest problem was getting the food to arrive at the table hot. Both times we ate there, we had to send the food back because it was not at the proper temperature. (Our second time there, we had to send it back twice! :angry: ) But that was a couple of months ago just after they opened. So maybe they've got their act together by this time.

We happened to be near Belmar a few months ago and drove over to Atlantic, but it was closed and did have the look of being out of business, though we thought it might just be temporary because it was the off season.  Since the web site is still up, maybe it will re-open when the weather gets warmer?

Just to be clear: There's currently a barbecue place doing business in the location you describe, but it shares neither Atlantic's name nor its phone number. Someone oughta check it out.

"To Serve Man"

I have gotten really terrific ribs at a place called Pat's Barbecue in Rahway. We would get lunch delivered at work. They came with sides of homemade collard greens and cornbread.

But lately they haven't had ribs when we called...I asked about it and they said if we want them, give them a day or two notice and they will make them....!

Pat's Barbecue...and you have to special order ribs???

That being said...I will say they are worth planning for, and ordering them in advance. YUM.

Pat's

228 West Scott Avenue

Rahway, NJ 07065

(732) 388-3250

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a BBQ joint in Newark the other day callled Brothers on South orange Ave. I wasn't to impressed with their pork ribs but the sauce was decent. The ribs seemed a bit overcooked. The place was a hole in the wall but I was hoping to run into a gem. The menu wasn't extensive but included rib sandwich, short ribs, mac& cheese, greens and Chicken. I'm willing to give it another shot. The place was recommended on Digital City Best of North Jersey. Anyone else tried this place?

http://www.digitalcity.com/northjersey/best/

-Pat

Update: The former Atlantic BBQ site at 805 Belmar Plaza now houses a Mexican place, which must be new because the sign still says "Big Daddy's BBQ," or whatever was the name of Atlantic's successor. Though it looked cute and smelled good, dietary restrictions precluded my trying it.

"To Serve Man"

There's a place in West Long Branch in the plaza off Rt 36 that houses the Home Depot called Branding Iron BBQ. Although the place is a franchise I talked to the owner and checked out the kitchen and he is smoking with real hickory. They have a large seating area and also do take-out.

Brisket, Ribs, Chicken, pulled pork and country sausage with a large choice of salads and side orders. Orders can be purchased with Mild or Spicy sauce or with no sauce at all (The true sign of good BBQ).

310 Route 36 East

W. Long Branch, NJ

732-544-0555

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Definitely try Big Eds in Old Bridge or one of their other locations, if you are hungry and want to fill up on ribs, the all you can eat ribs at Big Eds will do the trick.

If you are hungry tell the waitress to keep them coming, and plate after plate of ribs will follow. You can get on the bone or boneless.

Also try the beans, they are slammin, dont fill up on the garlic rolls before dinner as well as the salad which is always nice and cold and fresh, the cole slaw in my opinion is a generic kind and I am not a big fan.

I also just recently tried Famous Daves in New Brunswick and Mountainside, another excellent place for ribs, I love the 6 different BBQ sauces on the table. Daves has excellent sides and bigger portions than most.

Famous Dave's in Mountainside. I can't believe that people don't bring this place up. Best "St. Louis" style ribs I've had in NJ. Caveats: restaurant is part of a chain and everything inside is prefabed. Wait staff is young, eager to please but too inept to do so on several occassions. Food makes up for these complaints, brisket is excellent, chopped pork (what they call their pulled pork) is good and I've already given the ribs my stamp of approval. Potato salad is also very good but the other sides left my dissappointed. As with most chains sodas and ice tea come in a bottomless cup. Place is very crowded at dinner so plan accordingly. Rt 22 east in Mountainside.

There is now a new Famous Dave's on Route 1 in Edison. Eager to try it now!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

There is now a new Famous Dave's on Route 1 in Edison.  Eager to try it now!

Unless there is a second Famous Dave's on Route 1 in Edison (?), the one we went to on Route 1 is in New Brunswick. In a previous post in this thread, I wrote this:

...[O]ur last foray into the world of bbq was at the new Famous Dave's, on Route 1 South, in New Brunswick. Since this is a chain, we were shocked to find that the food was actually very good. The biggest problem was getting the food to arrive at the table hot. Both times we ate there, we had to send the food back because it was not at the proper temperature. (Our second time there, we had to send it back twice!  :angry: ) But that was a couple of months ago just after they opened. So maybe they've got their act together by this time.