• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peeps: Marshmallowy Goodness

foodie52

25 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That's fascinating! Thank you!

I got a laugh out of this bit:

I think product developers for certain markets have to have a sense of whimsy and humor., The Mattel folks I knew relished those OOPS product testing moments. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I thought that those of you that actually like peeps might be interested in this.

Just in time for Easter.

Ingredients

1 1/2 oz. marshmallow vodka

Marshmallow vodka???  Oy!!

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Packages of Peeps were 78 cents tonight at Shoprite.  I caved.

For eating or for science experiment purposes?

52 minutes ago, heidih said:

For eating or for science experiment purposes?

Remains to be seen.  Though I do wish I had settled for the yellow chicks, rather than the purple ones.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

35 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

IMHO, Peeps are disgusting, but homemade marshmallows are quite divine.    Vanilla, yes, but also mocha.   Oh, yes!

That is why I asked if for eating or science :)

• Like 1

Here's a somewhat more scientific experiment than the middle-school microwave test:

"Emory University researchers tested the durability of the marshmallow candy. One of the tests demonstrated how dissolvable they were in water, acetone, sodium hydroxide and sulfuric acid. Peeps stood strong against those chemical foes. 

Then came phenol. After an hour in this protein-destroying chemical, toxic to even humans, the only thing left in the solution were the Peeps’ eyes." The peepers!

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)

16 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

IMHO, Peeps are disgusting, but homemade marshmallows are quite divine.    Vanilla, yes, but also mocha.   Oh, yes!

I assume a good home-made marshmallow uses pure cane sugar. Peeps have some sugar, but are mainly corn syrup, pork gelatin, yellow dye and wax. 

7 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I assume a good home-made marshmallow uses pure cane sugar. Peeps have some sugar, but are mainly corn syrup, pork gelatin, yellow dye and wax. 

Yes, but it is the quality of the vanilla and other flavorings that separate the two.

eGullet member #80.