• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All About Skirt Steak - Recipes, uses, etc.

snowangel

If this Thread is "All About Skirt Steak", you need to understand that there are two distinct cuts referred to as 'skirt steak', the 'inner' and the outer'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt_steak

Fresh Farms in Illinois sells both and one can purchase a whole outer at a premium because it is much more tender. It is also USDA Choice Grade. If your skirt steak is tough you are likely using USDA Select inner.

I only purchase the outer and only at Fresh Farms where they will trim it for you very nicely.

Skirt purchased at many Supermercardos is very tough and needs to be put through the tenderizer machine that most of these places have.-Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)

I made a really nice steak tartare out of skirt steak last week: it gets tenderized sous vide at 122°F for three hours first, and had a really great flavor and texture.

Can a tartare really be made from cooked meat? I always thought tartare was by definition raw meat. Just wondering.

To call 122°F "cooked" is stretching the definition of "cooked" I think: the texture of the meat was raw.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I made a really nice steak tartare out of skirt steak last week: it gets tenderized sous vide at 122°F for three hours first, and had a really great flavor and texture.

Can a tartare really be made from cooked meat? I always thought tartare was by definition raw meat. Just wondering.

To call 122°F "cooked" is stretching the definition of "cooked" I think: the texture of the meat was raw.

I guess we are both stretching definitions then. :laugh:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 13 years later...

... does it go by any other name?  I've seen certain cuts go by different names in different geographical (and social) areas.

... Shel

20 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

... does it go by any other name?  I've seen certain cuts go by different names in different geographical (and social) areas.

If you are referring to the US skirt steak, it goes by Kronfleisch in the German speaking areas …

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think for English names, it pretty much goes by "skirt" steak.  There are both an inside and an outside skirt steak. In certain restaurants, like the famous Sammy's Roumanian Steak House, the Romanian steak is a skirt.

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?