• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. pastrygirl

Colored Cocoa Butter

You should still be able to temper it, just strain out those hard bits (as long as it doesn’t taste burnt)
  3. felt side down...? base for a two light chaffing dish?
  4. Today
  5. Jim D.

Colored Cocoa Butter

In my experience you can do that as long as the cocoa butter wasn't heated so high that it burned. The telltale sign of that is little hard bits in it that won't dissolve. The first time I overheated c.b., I didn't realize what had happened and kept trying to heat and retemper, but the bits remained.
  6. John has the same reaction to eating and it usually lasts 15-20 minutes. He says "It's the blood rushing to my stomach to digest the food".
  7. keychris

Colored Cocoa Butter

Yup, melt it out, stir whilst cooling to 31-32C and you should be fine. I melt all of mine back to 45C and retemper like this with no issues. I store mine vacuum sealed to protect from moisture , they last for ages.
  8. I usually have salads in the morning after my workout. This really makes me feel fresh and at the same time it's healthy as well. You can also try various soups in the morning to rejuvenate your mornings
  9. sbain

Colored Cocoa Butter

Sad night. I just made a big batch of bonbons where my colored cocoa butter stuck to my molds. Tragic i think i might might have overheated my Chef Rubber bottle in the microwave and lost my temper? Is there a way to salvage the bottle of CB? Can I melt the whole bottle up to 122F then table it down to 82F (like dark chocolate?)
  10. Yes.沙 茶酱 (shā chá jiàng) Shacha Sauce. The 沙 means 'sand' referring to that grainy texture you describe. Could be duck blood, but pig's blood is more common.
  11. Since I've jumped into the conversation, I may as well ask a couple of other questions. I'm really more into pastry than chocolate (though I've read nearly this entire thread and I am tempted by much of your work!). I'm also just an overly ambitious home cook more so than any sort of professional. As mentioned above, I've used my Iwata Eclipse HP-CS with a .35 mm nozzle to (very slowly) achieve the velvet effect on a couple of entremets and I once made Dominique Ansel's Marshmallow Apples. That's the extent of my food/cocoa butter airbrushing to date. I'm preparing to attempt Cedric Grolet's Lemons, which I was happily shopping for ingredients for, when I stopped to think about the last time I made an entremet and how darn long it took to color that thing. My smug "I already own an airbrush" quickly faded into "oh crap, I have to make a dozen lemons with that?" So... like many of you, I start digging... and digging... and digging. While I'm not sure I've gained much clarity from a week of digging, I did find this thread, which seems to have the most comprehensive information on airbrushing chocolate/cocoa butter I've found. I know that many of you are working towards production of some scale, which I'm not doing currently (unless you count 12 lemons as a lot - it is for me), but it sounds like many of you have also worked your way up from starter airbrushes to more commercial equipment, while sampling nearly everything in between. I was starting to think that a small capacity spray gun sounded like a good option, but when I reached out to a vendor to inquire about the Iwata LPH-80 Miniature Spray Gun which has a variety of nozzle size options, I was told that my Iwata Sprint Jet Compressor was not powerful enough for the gun. If I wanted to go with the LPH-80 gun, they suggested upgrading to a more powerful California Air Tools 1/2 HP 2 Gallon Compressor. The also suggested that if I stick with my current, and apparently quite wimpy compressor, that I might try the Iwata HI-LINE HP-TH Airbrush instead, which includes a .5 mm nozzle and some sort of a fan function, though I need to verify that my compressor could achieve that. So a couple of questions: For anyone else who made the leap from a .35 mm nozzle to a .5 mm nozzle, did it feel like much of a difference? It doesn't sound like a big difference. There's not a lot of conversation on the web about changing airbrush nozzle size, and where it is mentioned, people seem to act like it's sacrilege (except for with kits), but has anyone else ever tried increasing the size of a nozzle assembly, particularly on an Iwata? They're not super upfront about it, but I kind of got the impression from the Iwata website, that it might be possible if you stay within a particular family of airbrushes (Eclipses, for example). And obviously, it sounds like you'd need to change the needle, the nozzle, and the cap to do it. I know there's been a lot of conversation about compressors here, and I keep thinking things like "where would I put another compressor" and "I like that my compressor only weighs 8 pounds", but I guess I'm wondering how much of a difference does the compressor really make? Obviously, if a gun won't work with a particular compressor, then you're not going anywhere, but from your experience/what you know about airbrushes and compressors, do you think I would be missing out if I opted for the HI-LINE airbrush to avoid having to buy another compressor too? Would something like the CAT 1/2 HP 2G compressor make that much of a difference in my work vs. what my Iwata Sprint Jet is already doing? (Including a picture of an entremet so you can see what I've coaxed out of it). If I ever did decide to dabble in the world of chocolate, how critical is the strength of the compressor in achieving shiny, good looking chocolates? I know that the strength of the compressor would impact the speed of the work, but would a weaker compressor like my Sprint Jet actually prevent me from achieving something that looks good? Lastly, has anyone figured out how to match airbrush/spray gun specs to compressor specs? The more I learn about them, the more I wonder how I managed to buy my compressor and my first two Eclipse guns and have them actually work together (I also have a side feed, I use for non-food spraying). I really have no idea what specs I need to match up to make sure I'm getting a system that works, so any advice would be a start. Any information anyone can provide would be much appreciated. I'm going in circles here trying to decide what to do.
  12. JoNorvelleWalker

Gardening: (2016– )

I was thinking of the CSO.
  13. Our family loves H mart in Doraville, GA. It is about the only place we can reliably find fish heads for Sinigang. So good.
  14. Merry Berry

Cleaning cocoa butter sprayers

LK, that is how I was taught too. But I never hear of anyone else doing it, so I questioned myself on whether or not it was worth using the (admittedly) small amount of Vodka or if I was doing it wrong. I guess as long as the end result is it is clean, it is okay.
  15. DesertTinker

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 3)

“Liked” and “Confused”, since we’re only allowed one reaction per post. The mystery lives on.
  16. House made amazake cultured Sugar Drip sorghum whipped butter
  17. @Daniel D know this post is from a while ago, but I have the same Iwata Eclipse HP-CS with the .35 mm nozzle. I have been able to achieve the chocolate velvet effect using it, but it takes 4-5 rounds of spraying and re-freezing and that's just to cover a single 7" entremet. How did adding the .5 mm nozzle assembly work out for you? Did it make a noticeable difference? Have you ever attempted the velvet effect with it and if so, how'd it go?
  18. SO YOU DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS???
  19. Bourbon barrel aged stout . It taste great but sort of expensive since it’s about four dollars to six dollars a bottle sometimes . I try to just have one each night Because something like three a day is the same as the cost of financing a new SUV
  20. I have seen it at the West Seattle TJ, though I can't say exactly how recently.
  21. Sorry. I knew what it was and so assumed that the photographs made it as clear to you as it did to me. Obviously I was mistaken. I don’t know what it is. What I meant was I know what the pieces are and how they fit together.
  22. Fasten your seat belt. It’s another adventure for @Kerry Beal and me. Today Kerry had some business to conduct in Brampton so last night I researched restaurants in and around Brampton. They largely fall into two categories— Indian and Italian. But here’s the thing – – both of us have a penchant for considering Indian food appropriate only in winter and Italian food only when it’s exceptionally good. As we searched for the address where Kerry was to conduct her business we caught a glimpse of a restaurant called Ann’s Grove. I did a quick Google search and learned that It was a small family-run Caribbean place. It looked far more interesting than any of the places I had unearthed. Ann’s Grove was compact but not crammed. It’s bar however was both compact and crammed, mostly with rums, as Kerry noted. But then what should one expect in a Caribbean restaurant? I tell you this just for a little atmosphere. We had barely sat down when Ann herself came over to welcome us and proudly told us that she was the chef and owner and pretty much general factotum. A slight man, who seemed as if he wished to disappear inside of himself, whom we later learned was Ann’s husband, was bussing and waiting tables. There were no menus but Ann was asking us if we fancied chicken or goat or …. This was a little bit disconcerting. Without a good grasp of what a Caribbean restaurant might offer, we found ourselves hard-pressed to make any decisions. But Kerry could read the offerings on the wall above the counter and we settled on oxtails with rice and peas (I forgot that peas really means beans!) and a chicken roti. We would share both dishes. Another restaurant offering a box of tissues rather than napkins/serviettes. Oxtails with rice and beans. Honesty is the best policy. Peas are green. Chicken roti. Ann also suggested drinks. Kerry ordered a guava soda and I had a mauby soda. I had no idea what mauby was but I was feeling adventuresome. Not until I got home and was able to do some research did I learn that it is made from the bark of the mauby tree. Claimed by some to have diuretic properties and by others to cause diarrhoea the first time one ingests it, I was no longer feeling quite so blasé about my drink choice. So far, so good. Thanks for asking. Towards the end of our meal, the phone in the restaurant rang followed immediately by loud wails of anguish from Ann. When she had more or less regained her composure Ann came over to our table to apologize for the commotion. Between her accent and her obvious distress, piecing the story together proved challenging. Someone had died. We got that part. That the said someone lived in Barbados and had recently been put into a home, we got. Beyond that, it was anybody’s guess. As near as we were able to interpret, Ann’s father-in-law had died. And she was the target of some feuding family because she had opposed putting a 79-year-old Jesuit priest into a home. And now see what had happened. If he hadn’t been put in the home he wouldn’t have died. At least that was the way Ann seemed to see the situation. Do you see our difficulty in untangling this version of the story? Either they do things VERY differently on the Islands or he wasn’t a priest, or he wasn’t a Jesuit, or he wasn’t a father. Or he was a father but the spiritual kind. That explanation could not account for the claim that he was her husband‘s father and her father-in-law. I am quite sure a logical explanation exists that could dispel our confusion. But interrogating one who is grieving and so recently bereaved is not considered polite anywhere. So we offered Ann our sympathy, reassured her once again that we were not in the least upset, and left in possession of a riddle we may never solve and a doggy bag of delicious Caribbean food.
  23. chromedome

Easter Menus

I love it, but we have a large and varied crowd and lamb was riskier. Also, I got the ham on sale for $1/lb.
  24. What I have done. I use a large sheet of clear greenhouse plastic to cover the asparagus plot early in the spring. The sun warms up the soil, and I can get two to three weeks earlier asparagus. dcarch
  25. I personally don't care what they call their pie. I think intent needs to be taken into consideration. If they're using something in an intentionally hurtful manner, that's pretty much always obvious. But we've gone way too far with the whole things-that-are-no-longer-allowed-to-be-the-subject-of-humor bit.
  1. Load more activity