• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. For the first time in, I believe, forever -- I neglected to score my boule. Comes from two weeks of attempting to bake rye. I am so ashamed. I desperately need a more capacious steam oven.
  3. Franci

Dinner 2019

Simple tonight. Grill key west jumbo shrimp and some crudités
  4. You eat your breakfast about when I serve dinner.
  5. My 2 cents: You don't need a thermometer for peanut brittle. You can go by sight and smell. I look for the boiling bubbles to be straw colored. If I used a thermometer, it would be the thermapen. You simply wipe the probe with a cloth towel between tests, if you are worried about it. My recipe is similar, but calls for butter, vanilla and salt. Once temp is reached, I remove from heat and stir in butter. vanilla and salt. This causes it to steam briefly. Then I add soda. It foams up almost to the top of the pot. Pour out and after a minute, I stretch to make it thin.
  6. Ann_T

Breakfast 2019

Didn't make dinner last night so I made it for breakfast. Grilled Pork Chop with potato gratin cooked in chicken broth, squash and Brussels sprouts.
  7. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2019

Fresh cheese, red onion, EVOO Butter lettuce, EVOO, banyuls vinegar Packaged Italian sausage ravioli, butter and cheese
  8. Okanagancook

Cooking Goose

I made this about 10 years ago and have note "excellent sauce" on the recipe: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roast-goose-with-oranges-and-madeira-966 or you could make a port sauce. I don't SV duck breasts so can't advise but they should be similar to the way you do duck. Your sides sounds great...maybe some braised leeks too or a salad as this will be pretty rich. Nice price, I might add.
  9. heidih

Cooking Goose

I am a retro idjit.Just slow roast the dang goose. Drain and save fat for whatever, Sauce - something berry tart. Sure I am In the minority Please report back. And do prick rigourasly during process as the pricks tighten up as roast goes on. Then super high heat at end to crisp skin. And with the carcass - duck ramen is nice.
  10. robirdstx

Dinner 2019

Grilled Lamb Chops and Asparagus with a Salad
  11. So now Breville has both Joule and PolyScience circulators? Wonder how that will shake out.
  12. That makes sense. The rest of the cake is rather bland. I'll make sure to grind it, next time. Thanks!
  13. gfweb

Cooking Goose

So I scored a "reasonable" goose for about $60. I'm inclined to SV the breasts and confit the legs. I'm guessing that the breasts would like 135F x 3 hrs...right ballpark? Any suggestions for sauce? Maybe goose fat potatoes and braised red cabbage?
  14. Yesterday
  15. Here is relatively simple idea of what to do with bag juices from steaks. I've even used beer instead of red wine to make a sauce this way with the bag juices. Just a thought.
  16. With you. Can’t imagine why one would need to thaw something that is going to be sous vided if it’s already properly sealed etc. Never had any success with the juices.
  17. weinoo

Dinner 2019

Carrot, broccoli, spinach sort of ohitashi. Salted salmon, hijiki, ginger donabe rice, cooked in dashi. I was walking past a fishmonger in the new Essex Market, and he was just opening up a crate of salmon he'd received. Atlantic farmed. Despite its freshness, would not buy again. Stuff tastes like cardboard. Maybe I'll stovetop smoke the other piece I have. The idea being to mix it all together makes it better than certain individual ingredients, and I was able to get a little crust on the bottom of the rice.
  18. I have been a fan of Chefsteps since before the Joule. I had bought a premium membership years ago for classes and special videos, et al. Then Chefsteps kind of stalled with the Joule and the cool innovation went away. But I still used the site for the existing recipes, I didn't feel particularly abandoned. Then the announcement of Breville buying Joule/Chefsteps came. Wasn't looking good for the Chefsteps site. But I have to say Chefsteps seems to have been reborn and is vibrant again. New recipes, not just sous vide based. They are using BSO and Breville microwaves, but also IP and Control Freaks and freeze driers....etc. Fun stuff, like an entire turkey turned into separate yakitori and grilling it. They created another pay level above the Premium called Studio Pass, they offered a deal to existing Premiums to upgrade at a quite discounted price. I went for it. Some of the legacy Chefsteps followers were unhappy about another pay level, can't argue with that. But the company leadership did change. So far I feel I'm getting quite my money's worth in watching the new videos (they come out at the first of the month and some are added as the month goes on). Grant Crilly is relatable, enthusiastic and easy to watch. The video quality is very good and the write ups are excellent. All the old Chefsteps content is still available too. Just my 2 cents review and experience with the new Chefsteps concept.
  19. I'd put the frozen bags directly in the water bath. But I am not a fan of bag juices. For me the best place for bag juices is down the drain. Be sure to carefully dry the cooked meat before searing.
  20. I cook mine as is, in fact, I don't even thaw them before sous vide. I just toss them in the water and add a bit of time to the anticipated cook. Also, I use the juices for a sauce or dipping jus; or even collect them for a future gravy. Those bag juices are fantastic. I don't have any belief drying the meat of all juices before sous vide-ing has any effect to the texture/flavor of the meat. Are you planning to sear after debagging? That is when I have seen people dry the meat. But again, don't fear the bag juices!
  21. I need some guidance re: vacuuming my meat. I tend to season and vacuum them when I get them home from the store before freezing. Therefore, when I thaw them to sous vide this is what they look like: Lots of liquid in the bags. Is this ok, or should be taking them out of the bags and drying them off before re-vacuuming them before cooking? It seems so wasteful, but if it will significantly improve the texture/flavor of my meats, I’ll do it.
  22. Kim Shook

Dinner 2019

A few nights ago - tuna salad sandwiches and chicken chili from the freezer: I had some rice leftover from chicken Kiev dinner and tossed that in. Good idea. Our Sunday brunch was so filling and so late and filling that this became dinner: It was good but needed something - we decided that black pepper infused honey might be right. Tuesday night was “try to finish the tree” night. Dinner was sous vide steak, cheese potatoes, some garlic shrimp, and salad with Momofuku ranch dressing (missed getting a picture): The steaks were just ok. They were ordinary grocery store steaks and they were not particularly good meat. I told Mr. Kim it proves that sous vide is a tool, not a magic wand. Crusty bread and (Knorr) bearnaise: Last night was pimento cheese, crackers, and some salami: Chef salad: And leftover pizza from TWO DIFFERENT pizza places: We are eating way too much take out lately.
  23. very busy at work today so all I did was snack on office junk (after having my healthy yogurt for breakfast), plenty of stuff due to hitting my snack drawer and the pre-holiday food showing up in the office. Philly soft pretzel. Buttery caramel corn with nuts. Dried fruit. Mini Reese's cup. Handful of pea/bean/grain crisps. So bad when I see it in writing, definitely stress eating. I better eat some veggies when I get home.
  24. So, I'm thinking that I could use a combination of my infared and thermapen - infared until I'm 'close' and the Thermapen after that? And I didn't really need the candy/frying thermometer I just bought at BB&B? 😄
  25. I've recently been introduced to the magic that is Hot Buttered Rum. So good, though a bit on the filling side. 😋
  26. Neither of those look like you could do that with them.
  1. Load more activity