• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. rotuts

McDonald's 2013–

it seems McD can't make up its mind it supposedly cut back on a variety of deLux burgers that weren't selling well , and making the franchises keep expensive times on hand now its going to try https://www.delish.com/food-news/a23011300/mcdonalds-stroopwafel-mcflurry-grand-mcextreme-bacon-burger-bbq-mcshaker-fries/ https://www.mcdonalds.es/products/86 https://www.instagram.com/p/oQkISyyS-C/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_medium=loading doesn't make a lot of sense to me
  3. Still sorry, but no. Not to be dismissive, but the conclusion that this paper comes to is ridiculous. Correlating a concentration to a surface monolayer is next to impossible, given the nature of the experiment. I’ll look at the mechanisms from work tomorrow where my access to primary literature is slightly better ...
  4. Thanks. If that number behind your citation refers to an original article that would be the one I’d be interested in. Nevertheless, I’ll check tomorrow PubMed and its relatives ... Sorry, but definitely not.
  5. apilinariosilvia

Wood Fired Pizza Oven

I am considering to buy wood fire pizza oven. Anyone suggest me the best series of pizza oven?
  6. You probably can't get much more classic than Riz à l'impératrice (Empress rice pudding). It's a mid-19th Century moulded rice pudding with candied fruits - here, raisins, glacé cherries and stem ginger - that's lightened with bavarois (Bavarian cream) and whipped cream. I had no idea how to decorate it so went full retro and plonked a few tinned peaches on top. The old 'uns are still good 'uns. 😀
  7. Okay... some nuggets from Shirley. Cookwise is an AWESOME book, and her section on frying is fantastic. "New crops like high oleic sunflower oil and low linolenic soybean oil maximize single double bonds and minmize double and triple double bonds, making for more stable and healthful oils. The more healthful unsaturated fats can be used if the oil is not going to be re-used. Considerations like flavor and smoke point may be more important than saturation." (158) That's basically why I keep HO sunflower oil and tallow on hand. Tallow is super stable (and not terrible for you, if your cow didn't spend the last two months of its life in a concentration camp). But for a vegetable-based option, HO sunflower oil is pretty dang good. She does not recommend re-using fry-oil from home because it does not contain the common additives (like anti-oxidants) that help keep commercial fryer oil from breaking down. I don't fry that hot and I use relatively stable fats, so I don't know that this nugget applies across the board. You can always add some mixed tocopherols to your oil if you want to, and create your own "commercial" fry oil. Commercial fry oils contain trace amounts of certain silicones, which form a film on the surface of the oil, preventing direct contact with oxygen in the air (and thereby limiting oxidative rancidity). Solid vegetable shortenings often contain emulsifiers like mono and diglycerides, which makes them good fats to use in cakes but lowers their smoke point and makes them bad for higher temp frying. I couldn't find anything on polarity and browning, but KennethT is right on the money that you don't need to add much "old" oil to fresh oil to reap the benefits of slightly damaged fry fats. The key is that the damage is *slight*. You don't want to slop back a bunch of burned up fishy-smelling rancid garbage oil into your jug. That's not going to be good for anyone.
  8. Apricot and raspberry thumbprints.
  9. There's some surface activity stuff going on there too, for sure. I'll go reread Shirley Corriher, as it's been a while. She doesn't get nearly enough play! I don't know who McGee's agent is... but maybe she should switch over. 🙂
  10. That sounds meaningful. I’ll check that, but if anyone has a bibliographic reference available I’ll be grateful ...
  11. I don't know the exact chemistry, but from what I understand of it, used oil has more "soaps" which allow better contact between the watery food and the oil. Shirley Corriher had a whole thing about it - and I believe it's in McGee as well. But on that topic, it turns out that you really don't need that much old oil... I've always heard it recommended that when you dispose of old oil that's been used a few times, to save a few tablespoons of it and add it to the new oil... evidently, that's really all the soap you need...
  12. It was on one of the back episodes of Cooking Issues. But the issue of polarity impacting the consistency of fried foods is well documented at the commercial level. Here's an article on monitoring polar compounds in fryer oil. A relevant nugget: "Total Polar Compounds affect the consistency of deep frying by increasing the release of water and the absorption of fats into the product. French fries, for instance, will brown but will be hollow because the moisture has been released too quickly."
  13. If you have a reference for this it would be highly appreciated !
  14. Today
  15. btbyrd

Cooking plain old chips

There is no "best" or "correct" way to do anything. There are just better and worse paths to specific goals. But I don't think that you fell into that trap. The Platonic metaphysics have corrupted our thinking about value in so many domains... but the quest for the One "best" way to do _________ in the kitchen is one of the most obvious. This is a stupid quest. There is no Platonic form of the French Fry that our methods are failing to live up to. There's just a bunch of techniques to do particular things to achieve some desired result. All of them involve trade-offs. All of them are better and worse in various respects. None are "best." None are "correct." I wish we'd all stop thinking like Platonists about value in the kitchen. It'd take a big weight off our shoulders and free our minds to explore the world of culinary technique free of guilt and shame. Some outlets have built their brand on Platonic "best-mongering." They shell out recipe after recipe for "the best roast chicken" or "the best pumpkin pie." They're hoping that you're afraid in the kitchen. Afraid of not living up to that BS Platonic ideal. Because they've got a solution to sell you. They're counting on your fear. They might not know that's what they're doing, but that's what they're doing. And they need to knock it off. We have enough neurotic cooks as it is.
  16. liuzhou

Cooking plain old chips

I think there's a slight difference between saying what is available in other places and saying that the "best" or "correct" way to make chips (or anything else) is to use something unavailable. If I've ever done that, then I apologise!
  17. btbyrd

Cooking plain old chips

If you haven't tried the modernist triple cooked chips, you're missing out. Heston invented it, but there are a bunch of variations out there. I started out with the ChefSteps version, but now have my own approach. Start with Russet or Maris Piper potatoes (depending on where you are). The technique begins with an initial blanching step to cook the potato and wake up the starches. You want to cook them until they are almost falling apart (and some will fall apart). Doing this in a water bath is more gentle because there's less agitation and bumping around; you'll break fewer fries if you blanch them sous vide, but if you don't care then that's not really necessary. Half the time, I just boil them on the stovetop. If I'm feeling precious, I'll go all-out. Everything's a trade off. Anyway, after the initial blanch, the fries are drained and allowed to dry. The easiest thing to do is move them to a rack, let them cool down to room temp, and then move them to the fridge to let the surface moisture flash off. Then there's a low-temp fry step. You fry the blanched potatoes at a low temp (like 275F/130C) to start to set the crust and to drive out moisture. Once that's done, you drain the fries, allow them to cool, and then freeze them. From frozen, it's just a quick trip through some hot oil. By the time the outside looks done, the inside will be thawed. And delicious. That freezing step is cool because it allows you to do all this pain-in-the-butt work before hand in a big batch, and then you have fancy modernist fries in your freezer ready to deep fry at your leisure. That's the only way I can justify doing all that work (unless it's for a special occasion or something). There are a lot of variations in this framework. People have put their fries in vacuum chambers, ultrasonic baths, and enzyme solutions to try to produce a maximally crusty and delicious surface. I've tried two of those three, and found the Pectinex SPL pre-soak on the raw potatoes to be the cheapest, easiest way to enhance the surface texture. That's Dave Arnold's trick. But it's not really necessary. None of the fussy Modernist epicycles are really necessary to pull off a delicious triple cooked chip. Just follow the formula: blanch/boil, fry, fry. Examples: 3X Cooked Chips with Methocel F50 battered fish. This was a lard fry, if I recall correctly. . Here are some sliders and fries. I made the slider patties from some freshly ground pastured chuck. Then I froze them. The "pickup" on this meal was to deep fry the fries, then deep fry the burgers. I used my late grandmother's french fry cutter instead of a knife on this one. It is not the best version of that tool, but it keeps the dream alive, so to speak. Here's a ChefSteps iteration doing thin-cut fries. They have a recipe for the thick-cut ones as well. Fry fry fry, agent Starling... Fry fry fry...
  18. gfweb

Cooking plain old chips

😀 t. OK, fine. Just please see that you adhere to that restriction as well. No more Chinese stuff that I can't get in a supermarket over here. 😉😀
  19. You can go the tiramisu way: use ladyfingers (or whatever) and soak them with strawberry puree. Teo
  20. Duvel

Cooking plain old chips

Very well said. In my native country of Germany we have literally dozens of varieties available even at smaller supermarkets. Referring to the desired cooking properties certainly makes sense, if you know them ... https://www.asausagehastwo.com/choosing-potatoes-germany/
  21. liamsaunt

Dinner 2019

Roasted chicken noodle soup from Andrea Nguyen's new cookbook Vietnamese Food Every Day. This made good use of the leftover chicken carcasses and odd bits of meat from Easter dinner. It had a nice comforting flavor. I think some lime juice and/or fish sauce would have made the flavor pop a bit more. I'm looking forward to cooking from this book.
  22. Brand new oil is actually not as good as "older" fry oil, as slightly heat-damaged lipids are better at making physical contact with the surface of food (I believe for ionic reasons, if I recall my Dave Arnold correctly). At any rate, brand new fry oil isn't ideal for producing a brown crust as easily. That's not why I save my oil... but it's a good story to tell to myself while I'm filtering the oil and putting it back in the jar. I "backslop" old oil back into the main container, but only if it's been used to fry clean-tasting foods like potatoes. If fish or brassicas or some other such thing got fried in there, I end up disposing it. I use high oleic sunflower oil for most of my deep frying needs. It hits the right balance between having a healthy lipid profile, high smoke point, neutral flavor, and relatively low cost. There's probably something better out there, but I haven't had the time (or the need) to explore the options in depth. Most industrial seed oils used for deep frying are a freaking nightmare on your body from a health perspective (though that's a matter for another forum). I also like to use lard and tallow from pastured pigs and cows. For different reasons, and for different applications. The flavor of french fries made in beef tallow is superb. Apparently, if Steingarten is to be believed, a mixture of half horse fat and half beef fat tastes even better. But that beef fat french fry flavor is the core of the OG McDonald's french fry -- the Original Platonic Form of the French Fry in the American imagination. That was before the damned vegetarians and their health-nut disciples forced an industry-wide switch over from saturated animal fats to hydrogenated vegetable oils. Stupid jerks. How'd that work out for us? Want to ban trans-fats now? Guess who brought those into our dietary system, jerks!!! But I digress.... Lard also makes good french fries. Great onion rings. But it's the bee's knees for fried chicken. Chicken fried in lard? Yes. Throw in some fresh bacon fat and some rendered fatty funk from a country ham? Hell yes. Lard has a lot of monounsaturated fats compared to tallow, which makes it much more fragile from a heat stability standpoint. You can't reuse it over and over like you can with tallow. But if you're making fancy fried chicken for family supper on a Sunday afternoon? Boy howdy, get you some lard and get frying. You may well have to throw the fat away afterwards... but to think of the spent fat as "waste" is to have missed the magical work it did for you.
  23. liuzhou

funnel dispenser

Enough already! This is a family friendly forum!
  24. chefmd

Dinner 2019

Roasted chicken with asparagus. I can eat asparagus every day when it is in season!
  25. chefmd

Dinner 2019

@JoNorvelleWalker I like my steak rare, some may call it bleu ;). I buy dry aged steak at http://www.nicksofcalvert.com/ which is near our beach house. It is very umami, truly looking dry aged. I will take a photo of the whole prime cut next time, it looks like the steaks that I see at fancy steak houses. WF dry aged steak just does not taste very dry aged to me. Love your dinner BTW.
  26. I found this article about arancino/arancina really interesting
  1. Load more activity