• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Wow that is interesting. I grew up with crawdads at the local lakes but never heard that!
  3. I'm 80 and was born and raised on my grandparents farm, which during the 1940s, the war years, was pretty much self-sufficient. It was a very large farm and my grandfather also owned a grist mill, a sawmill, a sorghum processor, smokehouse and an ice plant. There were fruit orchards and drying sheds - galvanized metal roofs with screened in sides that got really hot on sunny days. There was a lot of canning, meats were turned into sausage and smoked. Hams, bacon, geese, ducks, fish, etc were also smoked. Pickles, several varieties and pickled vegetables, three varieties of sauerkraut and something made with crabapples, which I never liked. A couple of kinds of cheeses that were preserved in brine. And my grandfather's cook had a "secret" process for drying crawdads from which she made a Gullah stew from the lowcountry.
  4. Today
  5. It never ceases to amaze me how well that little oven rejuvenates leftovers.😍
  6. I found my manual: "How to Enjoy Your Home Bakery Traditional". Oh for the lost days of full size, full color operating instructions that one can read. And I must apologize, I misspoke, there is a dough setting. Inexplicably the dough setting includes a 20 minute preheat. Which is probably why I never used it. But on the Home Made setting the preheat may be turned off. Even though -- like it or not -- the heat is on during kneading, as the Zojiushi thumbs its nose at you.
  7. Dante

Dinner 2019

Chicken and sausage jambalaya
  8. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

I've dared not open mine. Can't wait to hear!
  9. Kim Shook

Dinner 2019

Ingredients: ramp bulbs, distilled vinegar, water, sea salt, mustard seed, dill seed, and pepper flake.
  10. Forgot I had this bookmarked from The Guardian -a little different https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/07/pickle-ferment-recipes-six-of-the-best
  11. Listeria recall for a wholesale vendor's "European style" back bacon because of listeria. Currently affects BC and the Prairies, but possibly national. http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-11-06/eng/1573096241946/1573096247885?utm_source=r_listserv Also, another update to the Ontario-centric beef/veal E. coli recall, this time adding a couple of halal butchers in Mississauga and Brampton. http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-11-06/eng/1573088927607/1573088927998?utm_source=r_listserv Lobster in brine and crab in brine, botulism, sold in NB and Quebec. http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-11-13/eng/1573696235713/1573696241811?utm_source=r_listserv
  12. heidih

Dinner 2019

Well now you sent me down the rabbit hole cuz those look like mustard seeds at the bottom- picked ones were which were a "thing" a while back. Has to happen again. Sweet hubby! https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2019/06/pickled-mustard-seeds.html
  13. Not worth endangering Global Entry
  14. Thanks so much. It worked just fine. Got a little dark on top: Nothing that gobs of butter wouldn't fix:
  15. The stickiness and scratches is why I can never bring myself to buy used Tupperware. I loved the tumblers, but they don't sell the same ones anymore, sadly. That ham holder was BIG and deep. I'm already sorry I didn't keep it.
  16. Kim Shook

Dinner 2019

I have a wonderful husband: I put this on my Amazon wishlist thinking maybe someone would get it for me for Christmas. It came in the mail today❤️. It is especially timely because I'm making The Dressing for a dinner party on Saturday!
  17. Well, yes. I can source a good apple and have it on hand at breakfast, but that platter, not gonna happen.
  18. Okanagancook

Breakfast 2019

I would rather have the above than the fresh apple I did have.😫 Where is the drool emoji?
  19. I've lost a pen knife a couple of times - but never the scalpel blades or tiny scissors.
  20. I need your secret. French TSA have confiscated a couple of my favorite tiny scissors. According to law, they should have been allowable, under 4 inches; mine were under an inch. But French TSA are FAST! Find scissors of any length, glance at them and chuck them into an enormous bin of confiscate. Get on plane, have a glass of wine, come home.
  21. I put in a bowl and put in enough water to cover the hock ... I change the water about 1.5 hour and go through 3-4 water changes ... (I keep it in the fridge while I’m doing this, but not everyone does because it’s smoked). Yes - I use chicken stock - always have - I can’t imagine how it would taste without it? It adds a subtle depth of flavor I think you’d miss if you didn’t use it.
  22. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2019

Tomato and fresh mozzarella Scalloped potatoes and "getting rid of that weekend ham"
  23. No, I won't be making it again for a while - once I add more escarole & beans, this batch will take me through the next few years! But for that distant future time, how long to soak? What volume and temp of water? How many changes? Assume a 1-1.5 lb hock. Do you use chicken stock when you make it?
  24. Well, @kayb is right about soak / rinse ... I’m sorry it turned out so salty for you ... It’s a wonderful soup - I hope you’ll give it another go
  25. BeeZee

Chick-Fil-A 2011

We have a Chick-fil-A devotee in the office, she got a seasonal milkshake this week, peppermint. Said it was good, not overly minty (pink color). She also loves the mac+cheese side, I haven't tried it yet. I've gotten the Chicken Tortilla soup a couple of times, it is hearty, made with beans, thick broth. They give you a little cello pack of tortilla strips to add as you eat. Since it is a half mile from the office, she orders on the mobile app as she walks out the door and timing is perfect. Don't sleep on the chocolate chunk cookies, either. For a commercial cookie they are pretty darn good. I can only eat half of one.
  26. Yesterday
  27. More "food for thought" Our celebrated Tartine group. https://www.bonappetit.com/story/caitlin-hata
  1. Load more activity