• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Kim Shook

Dinner 2019

I never, ever considered using nuoc cham as a dipping sauce for salmon cakes. What a fantastic idea! Thank you.
  3. Not at all ... once the coke was gone, I enjoyed the left-over Bourbon like it should be 😉
  4. liamsaunt

Easter Menus

My brother dropped off a nine pound bone in leg of lamb that he got from Lobel's and asked me to make it on the grill. I have never grilled a leg of lamb before. I settled on this recipe: https://food52.com/recipes/3851-grilled-leg-of-lamb-with-dijon-mustard-rosemary-and-garlic Hopefully it will be good. I. along with three others who will be at the meal, do not eat lamb, so I am also doing roasted chicken with a honey glaze. Side dishes are all various family requests: duck fat roasted potatoes (father), asparagus (sister), whisky-glazed carrots (niece), and some sort of bread (nephew) and some sort of salad (mother) TBD this evening. My parents strongly dislike appetizers before dinner so I am not making any. No one in my family is a big fan of dessert either so I'm just going to put out a small plate of mini desserts that I already have made in the freezer just in case anyone (the teens haha) wants something. Husband is in charge of the wine selections. I know we'll start the gathering with a champagne toast to my parents, who are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary today.
  5. Today
  6. Ann_T

Dinner 2019

@Okanagancook. That is how I feel too. I would be happy to just eat the rim.
  7. But you dishonored the bourbon.
  8. David Ross

Dinner 2019

Ha Kim we think alike! The squirrels love my yard, lots of big trees and a lawn where they can plant their findings and come back for a snack months later. And yes, I to put out stale gougere's for the little devils.
  9. “Hot Butter Cuttlefish” at Pizza Hut Sri Lanka ...
  10. Duvel

Cilantro

Green curry paste uses the roots, mostly. But I found leaves & stems do work as a pretty good substitute in a 3:1 ration (L&S:R) ...
  11. Allura

Easter Menus

My mom will be cooking (I'll be at church for the umm, 8th time since this past Saturday. Yay for heading the Altar Guild...), and I believe both ham & brisket are on the menu, because it's also Passover and my father is Jewish. Mashed potatoes, green beans, broccoli (probably with cheese sauce) are expected, as well as macaroni & cheese. I'm getting dessert at a bakery, possibly Italian pastries, or whatever cake looks good. It's just going to be 6-7 of us. And of course, we'll be bringing a ham pie, aka Pizza Rustica/Easter Pie.
  12. Darienne

Food recalls

Hello all, We checked the numbers on our package of Kirkland veggie burgers and although the UPC number is a match...the code on product is not at all. So, I am assuming ours are completely fine. One always wonders how metal and rubber and plastic bits, etc, etc, etc, get into the mix. Thanks again chromedome. I am actually getting these Canadian recall warnings also but I do appreciate the trouble that you, and Toliver, go to on our behalf. (Also I am still not actually 'online' until after I get hand surgery...if I do before the next millenium...)
  13. TicTac

Dinner 2019

I must say, the only thing I truly miss after going Gluten Free are my pizza's. Seeing these fantastic pizza shots does not help matters! I need a 'Pizza filter', mods! Re: the Basil Glut - I have used Italian basil many times as a substitute for Holy Basil in the famous (and equally delicious) Thai dish - Pad Kra Pao. Very easy to make and it is absolutely delicious!
  14. Darienne

Food recalls

First time ever a recall has touched our family. Thanks chromedome.
  15. liamsaunt

Dinner 2019

Mini crispy salmon cakes in lettuce cups with nuoc cham and rice
  16. liuzhou

High quality soy sauce

For dips etc, I am partial to this brand, which has a deeper, more complex flavour than most. but for day to day cooking, I just use a regular popular brand. The other flavours tend to dominate anyway, so I'm not about to use a brand that costs 30 times more!.
  17. slowshooter

High quality soy sauce

I always though that Tamari was high-end soy sauce, because it has a richer flavor.
  18. Kim Shook

Easter Menus

I am very lucky that my MIL offered to do Easter dinner this year. Pretty sure she is doing a ham, some kind of potatoes, asparagus and hot yeast rolls. Not sure about dessert. Jessica is bringing deviled eggs and I'm doing Instant Pot collards (I don't like asparagus). I usually love doing Easter dinner, but this year is tough. Too much going on with my mom's health and financial issues and for some reason Holy Week is kicking my butt this year. Church every night - plus we did the midnight to 1am shift sitting in church tonight (meaning last night, I guess), then I am helping Jessica do chocolate dipped strawberries for serving with champagne after the Easter vigil Saturday night. And it happens to coincide this year with my turn at shopping for supplies for 100 lunches that we take once a month to homeless shelters in town. I'll shop tomorrow, help make lunches Saturday morning and then stay at church to do the strawberries! So, collards only works very well for me this year! 😉
  19. liuzhou

Breakfast 2019

猪肚鸡混搭肉末萝卜干 Pork tripe, chicken offal, dried daikon radish and rice noodles.
  20. Okanagancook

Dinner 2019

OMG I am kneeling with weakened knees. what beautiful pizza it is all about the crust don’t Even care what the topping is
  21. MetsFan5

4 Days in Guilin

You’d be surprised! She loves veggies and meat but certain things she pretends to eat (hides) and asks for more. 🙈 since salt isn’t good for dogs this is all me dreaming of tea oil!
  22. Ann_T

Dinner 2019

Pizza Night. Mushroom and Italian Sausage for Moe and I. and Greek Potato for Matt
  23. Okanagancook

Easter Menus

Wow, now that’s an Easter spread! everything sounds wonderful. we have a grass fed, free range lamb source. The meat is so tender and flavourful we are not keen to do much to it other than salt and pepper so the meat can shine through.
  24. chromedome

Food recalls

Foreign matter (pieces of metal) in Kirkland veggie burgers. Possibly national. http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-04-18/eng/1555625098697/1555625100775
  25. Too many!!! Someone asked me, how do you know which ones have which recipes to follow? I usually tell them, I don't really copy specific recipes in practice, all of these books I read are really just for ideas, techniques, but I rarely copy a recipe verbatim in practice.
  26. Owtahear

High quality soy sauce

I love a really high quality soy sauce. I can eat my own fingers just by dipping it into. I love trying new soy sauces, small batch, very terroir oriented. But I have to admit, Kikkomen's Low Sodium soy sauce is pretty damn good.
  27. Owtahear

Easter Menus

HamLambpalooza for me this weekend. Baked ham, home made potato salad, and empandas on Saturday. Sunday.......Leg of Lamb. I got one from Pure Bred Lambs (Elysian Fields), this is where the French Laundry gets their lamb will rub with garlic. rosemary, preserved lemons, Served with a mint/carrot top chimichurri. Pommes Anna (I think unless I change) Barbecue Carrots ala Publican Salad with greens, lettuce, artichokes, olives, roasted red peppers and red onions with a homemade vinaigrette and crumbled bleu cheese Ciabatta garlic toast. Lotsa of excellent wines....beer and yes, Lent is over...I will have bourbon!!!
  1. Load more activity