• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passover Baking

Pam R

This is my usual Passover baking list:

• Chiffon Cakes
  • Mandelbrot / Komish
  • Kichel
  • Mousse
  • Pavlova / Meringues
  • Flourless Chocolate Cakes
  • Brownies

For the last couple of years I've been trying to come up with some new things - not groundbreaking stuff, just some different options that you wouldn't necessarily think of for Pesach.

Last year it was cream puffs, the year before a plum cake. Biscotti seemed like a good idea - and they worked beautifully.

So, I've been playing around with some ideas - every-day recipes that I thought would translate well. Now that we have baking powder, soda and icing/powdered sugar for Passover, it makes things easier.

Carrot cake with cream cheese icing:

gallery_25849_641_36014.jpg

Lemon meringue pie with an almond/cake meal crust and lemon curd:

gallery_25849_641_13115.jpg

But now I'm wondering what other people bake. Or do you bake at all?? I know a lot of people who buy a lot of chocolate for Passover so they don't have to bake anything - but not the member of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts and Letters! I know it's early - but let me know what you're planning.

Would you be willing to share the recipes for the biscotti? That carrot cake looks amazing!

I offer macaroons (four varieties: choc chip, cranberry-pecan, plain, and topped with a bit of rasp jam and drizzled with choc), a flourless chocolate cake and meringues (some filled with ganache, but most of them have chopped unsweetened choc chunks in them- the RLB recipe from her cookie book) and it would be nice to offer more choices!

a Passover apple crisp

What's the crisp part of the crisp? :biggrin:

Cinnamon balls

Could you tell me more about these? What's in them?

Would you be willing to share the recipes for the biscotti?  That carrot cake looks amazing!

I have one recipe in RecipeGullet for Pecan Cranberry Biscotti. I'll look for my other recipes (I put them together for an article two computers ago!).

When I've got the carrot cake written up (also for a column) I'll get it into RecipeGullet. The great thing about the carrot cake is that there are so many good, moist ingredients in it, that the cake meal is hardly detectable. I was told it was 'killer'. :wink:

Since I don't celebrate this holiday, pardon my ignorance in asking: Is there anything in the popular nightscotsman's marshmallow recipe that makes it inappropriate for Pesach?

Maybe that's the new and different for this year....flavored marshmallows dipped in chocolate. Or present them as long traditional french ropes rather than the square shape?

The marshmallows do pose a problem. It's hard to find (for some of us) kosher gelatin at the best of time, never mind at Passover. There is a fish gelatin out there - but I've not been able to try it.

Having said that, marshmallows have a great Passover tradition. It's the only time of the year that I sell (or would by) the marshmallows that are coated in toasted coconut. In fact, one of my suppliers carries only one variety of marshmallows during the year but brings in at least 4 types for Passover.

So, if you can get your hands on kosher (for Passover) gelatin, then marshmallows would be great! (How about a marshmallow/cereal thing a la Rice Crispy Treats . . . but with some horrible Passover cereal?)

I posted this 'dish' in another thread a while back but this thread seemed more appropriate...

Around Passover (and all year round, assuming I can find matzah at the store), I bake my chocolate-covered candied matzah. It's always a hit :smile:

If anyone wants the recipe I'd be happy to send it to you, just send me a PM (don't want to give away ALL my secrets!).

I thought maybe the mycryo would work, but it's pricey for this particular application. I'll see about finding some kosher gelatin - it seems like there are more and more products that are KfP every year.

Pam R, do you know about Pomona's Pectin? I used this years ago for jams and jellies, so it's really a pectin, but I wonder if it would work for marshmallows. Provided I can even find it!

From an old and kind of peculiar dutch cookbook I have a simple yet very tasty recipe for flourles chocolate-walnut cake (or 'gateau', as they call it). It consists of two layers of the same creamy batter, the first one is baked and the second one added after that and then chilled. This creates a very rich taste and a little textural surprise.

i have a wonderful pesach cake recipe which was given out by our local food coop. i was in charge of the passover tasting table and i had this cake assigned to me. so i have tried it and it was a real success with all the people and also great for the family table. it is called a chocolate nut cake and uses eggs, walnuts, grated chocolate, apples and matzo meal. if anyone is interested i will post the recipe.

alienor

well.... I found a source for Kosher for Passover gelatin - and its $20 a POUND!!!

Minimum order is 5 pounds. They say it is made from kosher slaughtered animals at a plant specifically designed for this; and it has circle UP (for passover) certification.

Supposedly the shelf life for powdered gelatin is something like 5 years, which means if I buy this, I will be making marshmallows ... forever! :raz:

Would you buy flavored marshmallows for Passover? I'm thinking raspberry, strawberry and passionfruit flavors....

I'd have to order this tomorrow to get it early next week so I can market this.... whadda think?

I have one recipe in RecipeGullet for Pecan Cranberry Biscotti.  I'll look for my other recipes (I put them together for an article two computers ago!).

When I've got the carrot cake written up (also for a column) I'll get it into RecipeGullet.  The great thing about the carrot cake is that there are so many good, moist ingredients in it, that the cake meal is hardly detectable.  I was told it was 'killer'.  :wink:

Hi Pam....

Have you ever subbed out different nuts and fruits in the biscotti? I'm thinking about pistachios or hazelnuts and apricots; as well as a hazelnut and dried cherry (with lemon zest instead of the orange) version. I didn't know if you'd already tried this and did it work or not work....

My father is the only Jew in a family of Italian Catholics, so I've been trying to make something kosher for dessert for Easter for him each year. Last year I made almond jam thumbprint cookies, which I think he liked a lot, and the year before I made an apple sponge cake. That was bit more lemony than I prefer, but I still think it went over well. I'm not sure what this year will be. Not chocolate, likely, simply because he's not the chocoholic the rest of the family is, and I defer to his tastes. I haven't even started looking, though.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Hi Pam....

Have you ever subbed out different nuts and fruits in the biscotti?  I'm thinking about pistachios or hazelnuts and apricots; as well as a hazelnut and dried cherry (with lemon zest instead of the orange) version.  I didn't know if you'd already tried this and did it work or not work....

You can definitely sub. One of my favorite combos is almonds and apricots. I'd replace some of the cake meal with cocoa and then add the hazelnuts and cherries - but that's just me :wink: . I'm allergic to pistachios, so never use them - but I don't see why they wouldn't work.

Here is a recipe for Harris Ranch Pecan Drops. Good for Passover with no substitutions necessary. The hardest thing might be finding pure vanilla extract but even that is getting easier each year. They taste like pecan pie cookies. (brown sugar, egg whites, salt, pecans, vanilla.)

Pam, everybody loved the mandel recipe you submitted last year. People raved about it.

I also made and quickly ran out of the chocolate sparkle cookies.

jayne

I'm totally ignorant when it comes to Jewish holidays and observances, so please enlighten me a little bit. The main thing you're avoiding is leavening, right? And secondary would be dairy if people are observant or keep kosher at home, correct?

JeanneCake: $20/pound for gelatin isn't too far fetched if you think about the fact that I paid (in NYC) $1.45US for a 1 oz box (four envelopes) of Knox unflavored gelatin. So that works out to $23.20/pound...NOT kosher :wink:

This link is sort of on topic, but completely politically incorrect, so click at your own risk.

jaynesb - yay! I'm so happy they liked them.

I can't find kfp brown sugar. Otherwise a pecan pie cookie would be fantastic. (Canadian companies have a hard time getting sugar from the US.)

alana - we can't use flour in our baking. Our options include matzo cake meal, which is matzo that is finely ground (that's flour and water baked into a cracker and ground) or potato starch. It takes some work to get some good baking done.

jaynesb - yay! I'm so happy they liked them.

I can't find kfp brown sugar.  Otherwise a pecan pie cookie would be fantastic.  (Canadian companies have a hard time getting sugar from the US.)

alana - we can't use flour in our baking.  Our options include matzo cake meal, which is matzo that is finely ground (that's flour and water baked into a cracker and ground) or potato starch.  It takes some work to get some good baking done.

I've never cooked with it, but does maple sugar work as a substitute or maybe some combination of maple syrup and white sugar? Normally, molasses plus white sugar is supposed to be a brown sugar substitute. (As found on various websites when googling for the substitution.) I don't usually see KFP maple syrup here in NY but maybe you guys have it.

jayne