• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passover Baking

Pam R

I haven't seen it either - and I've looked at the product lists of most of the kosher food distributors in Canada. If maple syrup is kosher, I'd think there would be no reason why it shouldn't be Ok for Pesach.(apparently some maple syrups are not kosher - due to treif additives used in low enough quantities that they aren't required to be on the ingredients list) I've thought of adding molasses to sugar before, but can't get kfp molasses.

I've almost accepted the fact that I can't get everything that I want. :wink:

Pam, if you can get your hands on Domino Brown Sugar, it's KfP. There's a little thing on the box.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

aliénor, Im would love the recipe for that cake. Thanks!!

Pam R, I will patiently wait for your carrot cake recipe. My seder is on my birthday this year so a carrot cake sounds perfect. Personally I am not a huge chocolate cake fan.

Robin

My boyfriend celebrates passover because of his grand-mother and he asked me to find recipes of sweet stuff without flour.

I already have a flourless Macaroon recipe though ^.^ I was wondering how I could make cakes without flour to please him and his father. Though,I apologise if this has already been asked!

aliénor, Im would love the recipe for that cake. Thanks!!

here it is.......Chocolate nut cake

serves 8

6 eggs, separatede

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts

2 oz semisweet chocolate, grated

2 oz unsweetened chocolate, grated

2 apples grated

1/2 cup matzo meal

preheat the oven to 350. lightley grease a 9 inch springform pan or line it, bottom and sides, with baking

Beat the egg yolks till thick. add sugar and beat briefly. Add all the remaining ingredients except the egg whites.

beat the egg whites until stiff not dry. Stir in about 1/4 of tdhe whites into the yolk mix, carefully fold in the rest.

Pour into the prepared springform pan and bake 35-45 min or until the cake pulls away from the sides of dthe pan and a toothpick inserrted comes out clean. let the cake cool in the pan before removing the sides. well wrapped the cake will keep for several days

we always finish it in ONE day :biggrin:

alienor

My boyfriend celebrates passover because of his grand-mother and he asked me to find recipes of sweet stuff without flour.

I already have a flourless Macaroon recipe though ^.^ I was wondering how I could make cakes  without flour to please him and his father. Though,I apologise if this has already been asked!

Hi LittleMaiko, I'm sure you'll be able to find some great recipes here. The one I have to offer is for a chocolate-walnut cake (mentioned up-thread). It's fairly easy to make, with only five ingredients, and tastes like- uhm- rich chocolate heaven :wub: Pm me if you would like the recipe...

Edited by amapola (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not Jewish, but my friend invited me to two of her family's seders. They were so enlightening + interesting. She didn't believe me, but I meant it :smile:

Anyway, after that experience, I started looking out for recipes without flour. There's a really chocolate almond cake recipe in Paris Sweets. It even uses potato starch from the Kosher aisle! :laugh:

So, I asked my father what he wanted, reminding him what I've made before, and he said, "honey cake, or something with nuts/cinnamon." I'm fairly sure by "honey cake" he means the style of the Manischewitz box mix, which is a pound cake-type cake, sweet, almost spiced. I know he adores fruit cake, and in general other "heavy" cakes. Can anyone point me at something along those lines?

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

I tried making these Chocolate Brownie Cookies yesterday. They're from Claudia Fleming's Grammercy Tavern dessert book. Very yummy.

I used instant coffee dissolved in some water instead of the espresso. Regular chips were fine (because I didn't have the mini ones.) Also, I used an almost tasteless margarine because I wanted to know what to expect with Passover margarine. The "taste testing" we did on this recipe resulted in a decision to keep the rest of the batch (instead of tossing it in the trash the way I usually do for these Passover dessert tests.) I expect the cookies to quietly disappear :wink: over the next few days as they were made before we switch the kitchen over.

If I can get through the carts parked in the Passover aisle of our grocery store, I'll try to pick up unsweetened chocolate.

jayne

SFGate article

Something sweet for Passover includes recipe for Fudgy Coconut Macaroons :wink:

Jews fleeing Egypt 3,000 years ago to escape slavery probably had to skip the macaroons -- too much fuss when you're on the run. Yet it's one of the most popular Passover treats today.

According to the Old Testament, the Israelites left Egypt in such a rush they didn't have time to let their bread rise. So they omitted the yeast from their dough and baked it on rocks to form flat crackers known as matzos. Now, the eight days of Passover -- the first night starts Monday -- is celebrated by eating only unleavened foods.

Macaroons -- the flourless cookies made with either coconut or almonds -- have become the hallmark of the seder table, a feast that commemorates the holiday, despite the fact that some macaroons take hours or even days to make.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I tried making these Chocolate Brownie Cookies yesterday. They're from Claudia Fleming's Grammercy Tavern dessert book. Very yummy.

I used instant coffee dissolved in some water instead of the espresso. Regular chips were fine (because I didn't have the mini ones.) Also, I used an almost tasteless margarine because I wanted to know what to expect with Passover margarine. The "taste testing" we did on this recipe resulted in a decision to keep the rest of the batch (instead of tossing it in the trash the way I usually do for these Passover dessert tests.) I expect the cookies to quietly disappear  :wink: over the next few days as they were made before we switch the kitchen over.

If I can get through the carts parked in the Passover aisle of our grocery store, I'll try to pick up unsweetened chocolate.

jayne

Forgot to mention - I replaced the small amount of flour directly with cake meal in my test.

Edited by jaynesb (log)

Around here (Long Island, NY) we can find KLP baking powder and baking soda. (I gotta be honest, for many years, I stayed away from using these because they seemed to go against the spirit of unleavened) but now I use them.

Arm and Hammer baking soda now comes with a KLP label, at least for some boxes. The baking powder I have for Passover is from a company called Mishpacha. It's ingredients are potato starch, baking soda, monocalcium phosphane (could be their misspelling of phosphate?)

For those torte and cakes (or other recipes you are adapting for Passover), if you are already beating egg whites stiff, sometimes you can get away with leaving out these chemical leaveners. Ditto if only a pinch is called for in the original recipe.

(For recipes that call for cream of tartar, I just omit that during Passover)

jayne

So I made what I call chocolate matzo balls. I had lots of matzo farfel and nothing to do with it, having already made sooo many kugels. I made a ganache, and set it aside to cool briefly. I then toasted walnuts and matzo farfel together. I tossed some dried cherries and cinnamon into the whole thing--ganachefarfelwalnutscherriescinnamon. Then I squooshed and squeezed the mass into matzo ball sized balls. About 25, I think. Refrigerated briefly.

I dipped the cooled balls into another bowl of melted ganache. I just put the whole thing in fridge-- no idea how they will ultimately taste. But it was fun. And my kitchen smells so yummy.

apronstrings - I think they'll be delicious. They sound like they're similar to those things you can make with the dry chow mien noodles - but better!

KFP baking soda and powder are now easily available. I have the Mishpacha powder and I believe it's Gefen soda. Last year was the first time I've used either.

I've discovered that with these ingredients I can take certain recipes (like mandelbrot) that I use all year and easily turn it into a Passover recipe. Just replace the flour with cake meal, reducing the amount slightly (12 cups of flour reduced to 10 1/4 cups of cake meal).

I've had only one flop this year - 8 dozen kichel. Otherwise my baking is just about done.

I just made Nigella Lawson's Damp Apple and Almond Cake. Just lovely!! Very easy to prepare. No butter or oil, so that's good. You're gonna have to roll me away from the table tonight.

• 1 year later...

It looks like this thread could use some reviving! What is everyone baking for passover?

Does anyone have a kosher for passover pie crust recipe that they've used with success before? I am looking to adapt a recipe that uses a graham cracker and oatmeal crust, so it should be a fairly rustic thick crust. Thanks!

Hi. Well I know there are different rules for Sephardic and Ashkenazi (Spnaish/middle eastern and East European origins). We go according to Sephardic. Anyway here is my input- nothing as fancy as some of the previous AMAZING recipes (THAT DELICIOUS LOOKING CARROT CAKE...):

Pesach Halva Cake:

100g Halva

3 Tbl quality cocoa

3 Tbl water

1/2 cup sugar

Melt the above in a pot on a low flame until a it thick.

Add 2 sticks of marg or butter to the pot and some wine or other kosher for pesach alcohol

Now soak matzohs in liquid like wine juice or water even.

Now spread mixture over matzoh to make a layer cake but leave some of the sauce for the end. At the end cover allthe cake withthe sauce and put in the fridge

Pesach Kamishbroit:

1 cup chopped walnuts

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup oil

3 eggs

grated lemon

about 1 1/2 cups matza meal (make it firm enough)

Combine all and make 4 long skinny loaves. Put in oven at about 350-375. When they brown take out, cut slices and lay on sides and return to oven for a bit till you get the color you like.

If anyone is interested I will get my MIL recipe for her killer Yemenite haroset. You can't stop eating it!!

Thanks to everyone for all their recipes. I will have to find time to slowly go through this thread and decide what to choose to make something new and different! Then I will thank that contributor!!

These cookies are always part of our sweet table: :rolleyes:

Orange Almond Macaroons

8 oz. almond paste

3/4 cup sugar

1 1/2 Tbsp. finely grated orange zest

1/4 tsp. almond extract

2 Tbsp. matzoh cake flour

2 large egg whites

In bowl of a mixer, break up the almond paste. Add the sugar, zest, extract, and flour, and mix together. Add the egg whites and beat until smooth. Scoop out into 1 inch balls (a melon baller makes fast work of this) and place onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a silicon baking mat. Bake at 325 degrees for 17 minutes, until lightly puffed and browned on bottom edges. Cool a minute or two on the cookie sheet, then transfer to a rack. Makes about 3 dozen.

It looks like this thread could use some reviving!  What is everyone baking for passover? 

Does anyone have a kosher for passover pie crust recipe that they've used with success before?  I am looking to adapt a recipe that uses a graham cracker and oatmeal crust, so it should be a fairly rustic thick crust.  Thanks!

I added the crust I use for lemon meringue pies here. I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but I like it. :wink:

I've never done it, but I know lots of people use crushed macaroons for their crusts . . that would be pretty rustic. . .

I'm supposed to bring something to our family dinner for Passover, but I'm stumped. Mom is making a bunch of the mixes (no, my family's not exactly gourmets, but it's one of those comfort things, I guess).

One idea was homemade chocolate pudding, something I know is a favorite of my father's, but the recipes I know of use cornstarch, which isn't KfP. Any ideas for anything in the custard/pudding style?

I did find one for Sweet Matzo and Cottage Cheese Pudding, which is a quasi-noodle kugel, something I always think of as a dessert, not a side dish. It looks interesting, but I'm not sure how it'll come out.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley