• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-tomato lasagna recipe

Chufi

For a big dinner, I'm making a lasagna with Bolognese (and spinach pasta). I want to make a second, different lasagna so people can choose (or have both :smile: ). I know the Bolognese is not really that tomato-y, but still I think it would be nicer if the second one has no tomatosauce at all. Any ideas?

Oh and I never know if I should call it lasagna or lasagne..

Yes. I make a non-tomato lasagne because I hate tomato sauce.

Just use your same technique for your beautiful Bolognese lasagne. I don' follow any recipe, but here's all you need to know (I think):

One layer will be sauteed mushrooms, your choice. I usually do a large quantity of Cremini mushrooms (baby Bella here) sliced, and I sautee them in butter with a little garlic and some herbs.

Another layer is vegetable. I simmer some spinach, kale, and swiss chard until tender, then chop them up.

Another layer is chicken (or turkey, leftover from guess-when?). I poach the chicken parts in a rich chicken stock, then let them cool in it to absorb the flavors before I pick them and dice the meat. If I'm using leftover turkey, I simmer it in the stock and let it cool, again so it'll absorb the flavors and stay moist, before I dice.

All the layers are topped directly with a Béchamel sauce (before another pasta sheet goes over them), for which I use a very rich chicken stock, and dry white vermouth as well. This sauce directly tops the mushroom, vegetable, and chicken layers, and then gets topped with shredded cheeses such as Gruyere and Emmental, and of course grated Parmiggiano Reggiano. You can also have a layer of Ricotta cheese and sauce.

The top is Béchamel topped with cheese. If you want to get really fancy, you can use some of the mushroom liquid that's given up to flavor one batch of Béchamel, and you can make a very rich root-vegetable stock to use in the other Béchamel, but this may be over the top; just be sure that there's some rich chicken stock and dry white vermouth in the one you make, and be liberal with it.

This is definitely better if you bake it a day or two before, and refrigerate it for the flavors to meld, and then reheat it.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

You can also make a delicious "lasagne ai quattro formaggi". For this you'll make a traditional Béchamel, and top it with a mixture of Gruyere, Emmenthaler, Taleggio, and Fontina cheeses (and of course Parmiggiano-Reggiano). Just make several layers of that. You can use some white wine in the Béchamel according to your taste.

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

You can also make a delicious "lasagne ai quattro formaggi".  For this you'll make a traditional Béchamel, and top it with a mixture of Gruyere, Emmenthaler, Taleggio, and Fontina cheeses (and of course Parmiggiano-Reggiano).  Just make several layers of that.  You can use some white wine in the Béchamel according to your taste.

I've long since lost the cookbook this came from but I do something similar to what markk said, and add either Canadian (Back) Bacon, or speck or even something spicier (capicollo?) to make it a little more interesting. While my recipe also called for Fontina, I find it cloying when melted along with so many other cheeses, so after the first pass with it, I started omitting. Entirely a personal preference, though, [obviously].

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

By the way, Chufi, you seem to be really talented in the kitchen. I'm sure you could improvise a great lasagne, considering that it's just stuff between noodles. Sauce-y things keep it moist, and things that melt like cheese bind it. But you can really just follow your imagination. It doesn't matter if you make a lasagne that nobody's made before. It wouldn't matter if you put shredded beef and onions braised in beer inbetween the layers, and now that I think about that, if I could think of a cheese that went with that (I'm sure you can), that'd be delicious.

Klary: Did you read my description of lasagne for the dukes of Ferrara in the Emilia-Romagna thread? Eccola or le. Fantastic, but make the ragu ahead of time as you would ragu based on beef. Since your husband likes offal, he'd appreciate the presence of chicken livers. However, I share your lack of enthusiasm (though I do like most patés) and was still so impressed with how delicious--and different--the lasagna tasted. The golden raisins, pine nuts and generous amount of prosciutto in the layers were what made the dish stand out for me--besides the lack of tomato.

I don't remember if you ended up ordering The Splendid Table or not. Unfortunately, I borrowed my copy from the public library, so I am unable to provide recipes.

I can point you to this particular site which erroneously attributes a recipe for Bolognese that I find superior to Hazan's as fond of it as I am. It's from Lynne Rossetto Kasper and the book cited in this paragraph. Perhaps more of her recipes are transcribed online.

Otherwise, I'd also pipe up and say that I made the artichoke lasagne from Hazan eons ago and truly loved it. Featuring one favorite ingredient is a good idea, whether artichokes, wild mushrooms or anchovies (in Piemonte--cf. my advice to Daniel in his Xmas dinner thread) or roasted winter squash, though the latter would be good with prosciutto and an intensely aged Gouda.

A duck ragu might be nice, too, especially in a preparation similar to my first recommendation here.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone!

I would love to do the artichoke lasagna, but it's impossible to find decent artichokes here this time of year. (not to mention the fact that I HATE cleaning those things about as much as I LOVE eating them.)

I'm sure you could improvise a great lasagne, considering that it's just stuff between noodles.  Sauce-y things keep it moist, and things that melt like cheese bind it.  But you can really just follow your imagination.  

this is true ofcourse. I'm toying with the idea of a belgian endive/radicchio/ smoked bacon lasagna, because I love that flavor combo, and because I think the smokiness and slight bitterness would be a nice contrast with the sweet Bolognese.

Pontormo, I do have the Splendid Table book (finally!) The Dukes of Ferrara recipe does look really intriguing. So now I'm thinking of doing that instead of the Bolognese...

It's really interesting, I had a hard time imagining lasagna without tomatoes, and now I'm spoilt for choice :smile:

Edited by Chufi (log)

I'm toying with the idea of a belgian endive/radicchio/ smoked bacon lasagna, because I love that flavor combo, and because I think the smokiness and slight bitterness would be a nice contrast with the sweet Bolognese.

At first I thought you meant have the Bolognese in another layer from the belgian endive/radicchio/ smoked bacon (I don't advise that) but then I realized that you meant a contrast to a separate Lasagne Bolognese.

The belgian endive/radicchio/ smoked bacon sounds heavenly, and then I'd surely use white wine or dry white vermouth in the Béchamel. And in light of those ingredients, you could absolutely use a fresh goat cheese in a thin layer as well. Perhaps each layer should start with a thin spread of goat cheese, topped with the belgian endive/radicchio/ smoked bacon, topped with the Béchamel. Omigod, that sounds wonderful.

Edited to say: I hate tomato sauce, as I've said, so I have a million alternatives for things like lasagne and pizza.

Edited by markk (log)

I don't really care for lasagna (pasta plus tomato sauce not a favorite) but I used to make a killer that was simply lightly cooked shrimp, crab and scallops with Alfredo sauce. The sauce I used was Stouffer's Fettucini Sauce, available commercially. I've never been able to duplicate the sauce, but perhaps one of the other Alfredo's on the market would be acceptable.

No extra cheese, save a bit of Parmesan on the top. Easiest and bestest for me.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

The spinach lasagna( bechamel sauce) from Cook's Illustrated is amazing. I've made it numerous times. Sometimes I change it up a bit and add seafood.

Let me know if you want the recipe as the CI website is subscription only

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, I forgot to report back :smile:

Well, I had the best intentions, but sometimes life (in the form of panic while thinking about making lasagna for 17) gets in the way.

So, the ragu I had made and frozen for the lasagna, ended up as baked penne with ragu! pics and full report here It was so much easier, maybe less impressive, but still very delicious.

Thank you all for your suggestions, and I'm going to try out some of the tomato-less lasagnas mentioned here sometime, but for a smaller group of guests :smile: