• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Neapolitan Lasagna

Shel_B

Hi, guys ... I'm toying with the idea of making a Neapolitan-type lasagna for dinner with a few friends later in the year.  I am saying type because it doesn't have to be completely traditional.  I've never made this before and I want to allow some time to make one or two as a learning experience.

What recipe ideas can you suggest? I don't necessarily need specific recipes, but one or two that have worked well might be useful. Tips, tricks, and techniques would be welcome.

... Shel

Check out the recipes on Pasta Grammar and watch their YouTube videos.  Here's their Lasagna alla Napoletana.

As far as tips go, if you'd like to test out a lasagna recipe in advance of your friends gathering and without making a ton of it, you can easily make a 1/3 or 1/4 scale recipe in an average loaf-size pan in the 9 x 5" or 8 x 4" range.  Just one strip of noodles at the bottom, maybe a little more at the top if the sides are very sloped. Makes 2-3 servings and is a fun way to play around with variations. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Check out the recipes on Pasta Grammar and watch their YouTube videos.  Here's their Lasagna alla Napoletana.

As far as tips go, if you'd like to test out a lasagna recipe in advance of your friends gathering and without making a ton of it, you can easily make a 1/3 or 1/4 scale recipe in an average loaf-size pan in the 9 x 5" or 8 x 4" range.  Just one strip of noodles at the bottom, maybe a little more at the top if the sides are very sloped. Makes 2-3 servings and is a fun way to play around with variations. 

Thanks.  I'm familiar with Pasta Grammar and it was their recipe that motivated me in the direction of a Neapolitan lasagna.

I was wondering how I'd do some test batches and your idea of making a small one sounds great.  There are plenty of smaller Corningware dishes here that would lend themselves to your suggestion.

... Shel

Personally, I'd start by making certain I liked my ragu, and then doing the lasagne simply as a cheese lasagne (i.e. mozz + ricotta + parm), with no sausage or meatballs...yet.

And for some reason, it sticks in my mind that the no-boil lasagne noodles were a great time saver, and came highly recommended by either ATK or CI back in the day.  Whether they make the finished dish better than using classic lasagne sheets, I can't really say.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm a complete convert to no-boil. They are compact and similar to homemade. 

There are tricks though. 

Barilla says that its a 30 minute bake. Nope. Its 55 minutes. And soak the dry noodles for 10 minutes before assembly. 

I make a bechamel lasagna. Don't stint on the sauce. 

I test the lasagna for noodle doneness at 50 minutes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, weinoo said:

Personally, I'd start by making certain I liked my ragu, and then doing the lasagne simply as a cheese lasagne (i.e. mozz + ricotta + parm), with no sausage or meatballs...yet.

And for some reason, it sticks in my mind that the no-boil lasagne noodles were a great time saver, and came highly recommended by either ATK or CI back in the day.  Whether they make the finished dish better than using classic lasagne sheets, I can't really say.

I agree about the ragu.  I've been playing around with some ideas and techniques over the last few months.

Recently, I heard about sheets for lasagna.  I'm looking into them. I believe ATK mentioned no boil noodles.

• Like 2

... Shel

11 hours ago, Shel_B said:

Recently, I heard about sheets for lasagna.  I'm looking into them.

I use the Olivieri ones, which I think are wonderful. No precooking or anything - just layer and bake. They are sized nicely for most pans. I use a half-size pan to make smaller batches and these fit my pan almost perfectly. Two sheets would make one layer in most larger lasagna pans. 

The only potential downside is that I find they can lost some of their texture if left to sit too long after assembling and before baking. But if you bake fairly soon after layering, they are terrific and have a really nice texture. 

This is a Canadian company so not sure if this brand is available in the US, but I'm sure you can find similar ones. 

https://olivieri.ca/products/lasagna-sheets/

I tried something I saw "online, somewhere." Put regular lasagna noodles in the smaller side of my stainless steel double sinks and pour boiling water over them and let them sit while I grate cheese, finish up the sauce etc. Then use them as usual. I make the sauce a bit more liquid and then proceed as with boiled noodles. It works well. I have tried the no boil, but didn't care for the finished texture.

• Thanks 1

both no-boil and regular  ( dried , boxed ) work fine.

soak the boxed noodle in hot or boiling water , either 

until pliable and use that way .  you adjust the cooking time and moisture

in your ragu  so they soak up what they might need , same as the no-boil noodles need

extra moitture to hydrate and cook while baking .

time in the hot water is until liable .   if you leave a little longer , then the ragu 

does not need as much moisture.  you play it by ear.

the result will ntstw fine  its the noodle , not the layering of sauce and ragu

that makes the lasagna .   just cook the noodles properly.