• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orlando Area Dining

ksnel

I was just going to start a thread asking about restaurants in Orlando...sheesh!

I'm visiting my folks there in May and would like to take them to a nice dinner out. We could always go to Emeril's, but I was wondering what else is out there? I really have no idea and haven't done much research yet-saw a place called "Hue" in Orlando that looked good...but sometimes bad restaurants can have nice websites, so I thought I'd ask first.

Elrushbo - Hue was also on my short list as I too was impressed by their website. Other than that I know nothing about the place. Good luck and let us know what you think.

Though I've been yelled at by our Orlandoian eG members for saying this, I have a very hard time finding good food in Orlando. I generally spend two weeks a year there, mostly in dining despair.

But I too have had many enjoyable meals at Coq au Vin in the past.

And I would suggest that you not overlook the Orlando branch of Texas de Brazil for a very enjoyable meal (despite the horrendous upsell that sometimes happens at their restaurants). And speaking of horrendous upsell, you can get utterly delicious steaks at Vito's Chop House and Charley's Steakhouse (same owner), though, as it was commented on another Orlando dining website, many people use the wording "we left in tears" to describe the experience; but if you go in forewarned and don't pay any attention to it, you can get a magnificent steak at either place. And since Orlando once used to be famous cattle country, it's an authentic experience, perhaps wiser than looking for water in the desert. But the Orlando residents get really mad when I say that.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I was just going to start a thread asking about restaurants in Orlando...sheesh!

I'm visiting my folks there in May and would like to take them to a nice dinner out. We could always go to Emeril's, but I was wondering what else is out there? I really have no idea and haven't done much research yet-saw a place called "Hue" in Orlando that looked good...but sometimes bad restaurants can have nice websites, so I thought I'd ask first.

Elrushbo - Hue was also on my short list as I too was impressed by their website. Other than that I know nothing about the place. Good luck and let us know what you think.

Might have to do that, not sure about Emeril's at Universal...do you have to go to the park to get in?

You do not have to enter the park to visit Emeril's in Orlando. However, I have been there on two occasions and I was unimpressed both times. I have dined at Emeril's in Las Vegas and had a good meal and pleasant experience. In the Orlando restaurant, however, we had a distinctly poor experience. First, the place is not clean. My sister actually brought the manager into the ladies' room to show him the condition. The floor was filthy and the "decor" including lighting was literally covered with more than 1/2 inch of dust. It looked like it hadn't been properly cleaned since the place opened. With respect to the food, also generally disappointing. My niece ordered a salad which basically consisted of three ingredients. When it arrived, one of the ingredients was not on the plate. It took 30 minutes for them to bring a replacement salad, by which time the rest of us already had our main courses. The soup was so-so. I had a vegetarian plate including grilled veggies. Some were not cooked, some were overcooked. The only memorable part of the meal was a fantastic 2002 sauvignon blanc, by ? & Smith, from Australia. I'm sorry but at the high prices charged and the long wait for a table, we won't be going back anytime soon.

My personal favorite dining in Orlando is in the Little Vietnam area on Colonial Drive. Several noodle shops and family restaurants. Excellent food and reasonable prices, but nothing fancy, for sure. Have always had good meals at Charlie's Steakhouse, so I second that recommendation. If you are intent on going to the Universal themepark area, the Latin Quarter (which is in the same area as Emeril's) has pretty good food. Just be aware that in any of the theme park areas you will very likely be amongst large crowds of tourists, and it can be hard to get a table and good service.

I just returned from 5 days in Orlando and before leaving I searched the Florida Forum for restaurant suggestions...so I was prepared for a culinary wasteland. I don't think there is a chain restaurant that does not exist in Orlando! That said, we did end up having some good meals. Here is where we went:

1. Memories of India - tucked into a strip mall on Turkey Lake Road near Sand Lake Rd. Went here on Valentine's Day and there was a line out the door. We had wonderful, authentic Indian food, very gracious service and no rushing. While waiting we spoke a gentleman originally from India, who said he was in Orlando on business. He had heard of the restaurant and had eaten there every night of his business trip. We had the chicken makhani and the lamb shakuti.

2. Cedars - Sand Lake Rd. Again an authentic ethnic restaurant, this time Lebanese. The food was wonderful and the server helped us select items to round out a nice dining experience. Delicious hummus, and a unique pita bread.

3. Before heading to the airport, we stopped at Lee & Rick's Oysters on Old Winter Garden Rd, just off Kirkman. We had tried to eat there one evening and there was an hour wait. It is a dive but it has the most fantastic fresh oysters. It has been there forever and locals call it home. It is also the best value in town...a dozen fresh oysters for $4.95! You sit at a counter and the server shucks the oysters for you as you eat. Besides oysters, they also have steam crab, shrimp, mussels as well as deep fried fish baskets. If you like seafood, treat yourself to this experience.

While there we also heard of a restaurant, K Restaurant Wine Bar on Edgewater Dr., that is supposed to be good but we didn't have a chance to try it.

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

Like kbjesq, my experience withh Emeril's in Orlando was bad. The china

that was already on the table when we sat down was covered in dust.

The rolls were cold and hard as rocks, the brocolli rabe was so tough I

couldn't cut it with a steak knife, and the dessert tasted like it came out

of a box.

Hubby and I like the Flying Fish on Disney's Boardwalk. We've never had

a bad meal there.

Hey guys, I will never get mad at anyone trashing the general food scene of Orlando, it stinks!

I would agree, K Wine bar is a good stop, very nice, although it could be better. Last time I was there, the china was so scratched, the plates had black and gray marks from the repeated silverware scraping! But, one of the few places you can get good hand made products! Hopefully things will change in teh future!

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

Hey guys, I will never get mad at anyone trashing the general food scene of Orlando, it stinks! 

Agreed! In fact I don't think I've ever seen any eG'er defend the restaurant scene in our fair town. It's pretty dismal!

Agreed! In fact I don't think I've ever seen any eG'er defend the restaurant scene in our fair town. It's pretty dismal!

As an outsider and someone who visits your fair city often, I beg to ask why. It doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't there at least be a handful of good quality restaurants for the "discriminating" eater? While the amount of chain restaurants in Orlando is crazy (I'm sure more per square mile than any city in the world) I understand that it fits the typical tourist demographic. I truly hope that before I return someone has the guts to open a decent restaurant.

I have. A few years ago on an Orlando thread I wrote, "I just don't find the food in Orlando all that good."

Somebody, presumably a local, took offense, and wrote:

"I love comments like that. Metro area of 1.2 million, hundreds of restaurants, and a throwaway sentence to denigrate the whole city's options."

Defensive as he was, I think we're all agreeing that as a rule the restaurants of Orlando are really poor.

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

As an outsider and someone who visits your fair city often, I beg to ask why. It doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't there at least be a handful of good quality restaurants for the "discriminating" eater? While the amount of chain restaurants in Orlando is crazy (I'm sure more per square mile than any city in the world) I understand that it fits the typical tourist demographic. I truly hope that before I return someone has the guts to open a decent restaurant.

Orlando is built around Disney and colleges. It really has no culture of it's own. Good farmers markets, veggie stands, butchers, or even very good fish mongers (mind the spelling) don't really exist. It really is sad, but Orlando is built around chain restaurants. There are a few good restaurants I've heard, a few downtown Orlando and in the Winter Park area. Both areas are at least 30 min. from Disney.

If anyone does want a list of what I've heard I can compile it and make it avalible with mapquest links and all. I haven't actully eaten at any of these places however....so you are still on your own trying em!

I have. A few years ago on an Orlando thread I wrote, "I just don't find the food in Orlando all that good."

"I love comments like that. Metro area of 1.2 million, hundreds of restaurants, and a throwaway sentence to denigrate the whole city's options."

Defensive as he was, I think we're all agreeing that as a rule the restaurants of Orlando are really poor.

C'mon markk. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but sorry, I can't let this slide. *One* person wrote that *one sentence* to you a couple of YEARS ago, and here we are in 2007, with you throwing all of the eG Orlando & vacinity citizens to hell in a handbasket, as "people" who "yell?" Not quite, not from where I'm sitting. In my opinion the local folks in our small forum try to steer visitors toward the few beacons of hope that we spot in this culinary wasteland.

C'mon markk. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but sorry, I can't let this slide. *One* person wrote that *one sentence* to you a couple of YEARS ago, and here we are in 2007, with you throwing all of the eG Orlando & vacinity citizens to hell in a handbasket, as "people" who "yell?" Not quite, not from where I'm sitting. In my opinion the local folks in our small forum try to steer visitors toward the few beacons of hope that we spot in this culinary wasteland.

Sorry. I was only replying to your comment "I don't think I've ever seen any eG'er defend the restaurant scene in our fair town" to say that I have (seen an eG'er defend it).

Why don't you get mad ad Tony for his comment "Hey guys, I will never get mad at anyone trashing the general food scene of Orlando, it stinks!" :blink:

I have pointed out some Orlando restaurants that are pretty good (maybe it was on the other current Orlando thread), but this whole thread is specifically about the dining scene in Orlando being lousy. I didn't start it. Even you called it a "culinary wasteland". Why are you picking on me? hugsmilie.gif

edited to say: I never said anything about people "who yell". Are you confusing me with somebody else?

Edited by markk (log)

Orlando is built around Disney and colleges. It really has no culture of it's own. Good farmers markets, veggie stands, butchers, or even very good fish mongers (mind the spelling) don't really exist. It really is sad, but Orlando is built around chain restaurants. There are a few good restaurants I've heard, a few downtown Orlando and in the Winter Park area. Both areas are at least 30 min. from Disney.

If anyone does want a list of what I've heard I can compile it and make it avalible with mapquest links and all. I haven't actully eaten at any of these places however....so you are still on your own trying em!

I agree with your assessement of the area. Orlando is kind of a cow town. It wasn't on the map until Walt Disney decided to do his thing here. He created this destination, and any "culture" here is an outgrowth of the success of Disneyworld. I can't knock that, it is the backbone of our local economy. Tourism is the industry, and it caters to middle America family tastes, like it or not.

I want to emphasize Ross.ucf's comment about locations. Disney is located in the Kissimmee area, which really is not Orlando. As he pointed out, it is at least a 30 minute drive. There is nothing in Kissimmee outside of tourism; it is a captive audience. Those of us living in the Orlando proper/Winter Park area, who are not vacationing or making a life oriented towards Kissimmee, generally stay far far away from that theme park area. (That's why you don't see me posting recommendations for those areas...I *never* go there unless it's an obligatory function.) The Universal/Sand Lake area is closer than Kissimmee, and there are a few decent restaurants there (Cedar's, Texas de Brazil), but honestly those destinations are still a hike to many local residents like me, who usually does not want to contend with the traffic and the crowds. Rather, I prefer to focus on life outside of the theme park/vacation spots. The bright spots are few and far between, but I love 'em for merely existing.

Ross.ucf I would *love* and encourage you to build a list! I will offer whatever small advice I can on local eats, and perhaps we can offer those folks looking for alternatives to the chain dining scene something to look forward to when it comes to dinnertime. I'd love to learn something too--I've only been here 3 years, having relocated from the San Francisco Bay area, sob!

edited to say:  I never said anything about people "who yell".  Are you confusing me with somebody else?

No, no confusion. From your post #6 in this thread, "Though I've been yelled at by our Orlandoian eG members for saying this,..."

Whatever. The food scene here is rough.

edited to say:  I never said anything about people "who yell".  Are you confusing me with somebody else?

No, no confusion. From your post #6 in this thread, "Though I've been yelled at by our Orlandoian eG members for saying this,..."

Sorry again. I shouldn't have said "yell". And I never thought of what it might be like for an Orlandoian who actually doesn't like the dining choices. Oy. Though I must say, where I live in New Jersey, the restaurant food is really poor too.

Sorry again. I shouldn't have said "yell". And I never thought of what it might be like for an Orlandoian who actually doesn't like the dining choices. Oy. Though I must say, where I live in New Jersey, the restaurant food is really poor too.

Markk - Where in North Jersey? To be honest, I could probably rattle off a half a dozen places withing 15-20 minutes of where you live that would put anything in Orlando to shame.

Sorry. I was only replying to your comment "I don't think I've ever seen any eG'er defend the restaurant scene in our fair town" to say that I have (seen an eG'er defend it).

Why don't you get mad ad Tony for his comment "Hey guys, I will never get mad at anyone trashing the general food scene of Orlando, it stinks!" :blink:

I have pointed out some Orlando restaurants that are pretty good (maybe it was on the other current Orlando thread), but this whole thread is specifically about the dining scene in Orlando being lousy. I didn't start it. Even you called it a "culinary wasteland". Why are you picking on me? hugsmilie.gif

edited to say: I never said anything about people "who yell". Are you confusing me with somebody else?

Which restaurants do you like in Orlando?

Which restaurants do you like in Orlando?

I've posted about them on this thread here and on the other related thread, here.

I'm usually there for two weeks at a time, and I usually give up after the first week. As I posted on one of the Chain Restaurant threads, I've been to the (Lord Help Me) Bonefish Grill twice. The first time I was grossed-out by all those goopy, unctuous, cloying sauces that repeat in all he dishes, so the next time, hoping for some plain, well grilled fish, we returned and asked them to leave the lemon-concoction sauce out of the steamed mussels, and got a bowl of delicious mussels with just white wine and garlic, and then an extrememly nice grilled piece of swordfish, that with a squeeze of lemon and some salt, really hit the spot. But aside from the places I've mentioned in the other posts, like Coq au Vin (though I don't know how it is or if anything has changed this year), and Texas de Brazil and Charley's/Vitos, I usually run out of places to eat.

• 2 weeks later...
We always go to the Norwegian restaurant at the Norwegian pavillion in Epcot for the herring.  I like it better now that the hot dishes are ordered and not left sitting out on the buffet.  But, it's really a waste, if you love herring as we do, to have anything but the herring and other fish specialities (gravlax!!!) on the cold buffet.  We went to the bar at Todd English's Bluezoo in the Dolphin hotel one night and had bar food that was excellent.  (Mediterranean)  Would like to try the spit-roasted fish sometime. If you want an adventure, find out if the Branch Ranch in Plant City is still in operation.  It had huge southern comfort dishes (fried chicken, ham) and lots of sides including, but not limited to, homemade strawberry jam and beaten biscuits that could float off the plate (slather with butter and then jam).

I just heard from a friend who still lives in the Tampa area that the Branch Ranch closed recently. But she told me about another place (new?) called Buddy Freddy's, in Brandon, I think. Ah, lots of memories of the Branch Ranch - always, always remember to wear loose clothing!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea if there is an answer to this question, but are there any noodle bars in Orlando? One of my friends has been craving a good fix of noodles lately (he lives in Missouri, so...) and 4 of us will be spending a week in Florida (mostly Orlando) at the end of March. Can anyone suggest a restaurant that can satisfy his craving?

I have no idea if there is an answer to this question, but are there any noodle bars in Orlando?  One of my friends has been craving a good fix of noodles lately (he lives in Missouri, so...) and 4 of us will be spending a week in Florida (mostly Orlando) at the end of March.  Can anyone suggest a restaurant that can satisfy his craving?

Gosh, I know of none, zero. I haven't been to Orlando in a couple of years - but maybe somebody with more recent experience will chime in here.

I had better luck in the International Drive area than the parks areas for dining.

^Thanks Anne! At least I know we can stick to the International Drive area. I haven't come up with a list of any great restaurants other than Le Coq au Vin. If nobody comes up with suggestions for noodle bars, maybe we'll go there instead. What's the dress code like? No flip-flops and shorts, I guess...

^Thanks Anne!  At least I know we can stick to the International Drive area.  I haven't come up with a list of any great restaurants other than Le Coq au Vin.  If nobody comes up with suggestions for noodle bars, maybe we'll go there instead.  What's the dress code like?  No flip-flops and shorts, I guess...

Eh, Florida is more tourist friendly than some resident's would like you to think!

It all depends on the place, of course.

Edit: Cafe TuTu Tango was great fun. Tapas place, and just silly enough to make you smile. I hope they haven't gone down hill!

Edited by annecros (log)

We're thinking of going to Le Coq au Vin on our first night there (Wednesday). What's the dress code there? Do we need to bring nice clothes?

Also, would we need reservations for any other restaurants? Because we'll be going to 3 different parks, it'll be hard to gauge what time we'll be leaving the parks those days.