• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orlando Area Dining

ksnel

• 2 weeks later...

[

I would not eat at Chefs de France.  We are longtime residents of Orlando but had never eaten that much in Epcot.  We started trying some of the food there after getting an annual pass.  The food was awful.  I had the bavette steak and it was tough with absolutely no flavor.  We have also heard that a majority of the food is made in one central kitchen and farmed out to the restaurants explaining the same pre-fab taste in a lot of the different places. 

I wish I'd read this before ordering the bavette. :laugh: It truly was dreadful, a pale, angry thing that demanded to be put out of its misery. Much was good there, although the server who thought it would be a fine idea to shove the tray in my throat was an irritant (my dd used to work in an unnamed Disney restaurant, & tells me that they scorn the food plan customers & treat them badly, knowing the tip is guaranteed. Too bad; I would've tipped broadly on my considerable booze bill in addition if I hadn't been repeatedly half-strangled).

Re: prefabbed, well, I had the sirloin steak the next night in MGM's Prime Time cafe & it was superb, all a steak ought to be.

Note: Both Food Plan & The Prime Time Cafe were not my choices. The first is bad news- the second was underrated & actually quite fun. The onion rings though- pass.

Edited by suseyblue (log)

If anyone is in the Orlando area they might want to head over to Winter Park and try out 310 Park South. Very nice little bistro. Also in the area are many more good restaurants. Winter Park seems to have the majority or Orlando's best along with a few Downtown. Everything at Disney isn't the most amazing but since a lot of people that visit Orlando go just for Disney they never leave and go see Orando (which is about 20 minutes from downtown Orlando). 310 Park South can be found in Winter Park at, 310 South Park Avenue.

OpenTable.com: 310 Park South

MapQuest: 310 Park South

Just a suggestion for those not looking to just be in Disney.

Hubby and I had dinner at Chefs de France last week. It was terrible.

My salad was wilted, the veggie lasagna was plain (I swear they must have

poured some Campbell's tomato soup on top of a big old noodle), and

hubby's sweet potato was some dried up glob of orange madness.

I will never dine there again.

Footnote - We tried to get in Le Cellier in Canada, but they were full.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I am blind to what most people's perception of "good food" is. When I hear raves about places like California Grill or 310 Park South, Chefs De France, and how people believe it to be a great restaurants I'm baffled. What are they producing that is so great.On the other side they say Victoria and Albert's is O.K. I cannot see how you can compare these totally different styles of restaurants. It's like comparing the French Laundry or Daniel's to say the Cheesecake Factory, or PF Changs or something along those lines. Victoria and Albert's uses only the best and highest quality products available while on the other side it's about quantity. At V&A you have a relaxed dining experience with professional waitstaff while on the other side it's noisy, get them in and out type attitude. Having Foie gras, Iranian caviar, truffles,etc. compared to Pizzas, pasta, and home style cooking, you can't place them in the same class. One is an experience while the other is a simple night out on the town. That is a good forum to discuss when it comes to Michelin and Zagat. I'm not bashing the other places, and they are good at what they do but they are not in the same league as places like V&A, or Norman's at the Ritz Carlton.

Okay, So I am externing at Disney this fall. All I know is that I will be working in a fine dining restaurant in The Contempory Resort Hotel. I know California Grill is located in there, along with the Concourse Steak House. I am not sure which of the two I will be in. I was wondering if anyone has dined at the Concourse Steak House? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Pinky

Pinkyhaven, which restaurant did you end up externing in?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

If anyone is in the Orlando area they might want to head over to Winter Park and try out 310 Park South.  Very nice little bistro.  Also in the area are many more good restaurants.  Winter Park seems to have the majority or Orlando's best along with a few Downtown.  Everything at Disney isn't the most amazing but since a lot of people that visit Orlando go just for Disney they never leave and go see Orando (which is about 20 minutes from downtown Orlando).  310 Park South can be found in Winter Park at, 310 South Park Avenue.

OpenTable.com: 310 Park South

MapQuest: 310 Park South

Just a suggestion for those not looking to just be in Disney.

I have to back Ross up on this. My wife and I were walking around Winter Park 2 weeks ago and we ducked into 310 Park. The food was great, the service was exceptional, and the atmosphere was perfect for a small bistro setting. My wife had the fettucine alfredo, and I ordered the special, a steak sandwich with a fennel and orange salad and bleu cheese. Great all around, and some out of the ordinary beers on tap to boot.

Maybe I am blind to what most people's perception of "good food" is. When I hear raves about  places like California Grill or 310 Park South, Chefs De France, and how people believe it to be a great restaurants I'm baffled.  What are they producing that is so great.On the other side they say Victoria and Albert's is O.K. I cannot see how you can compare these totally different styles of restaurants.  It's like comparing the French Laundry or Daniel's to say the Cheesecake Factory, or PF Changs or something along those lines. Victoria and Albert's uses only the best and highest quality products available while on the other side it's about quantity. At V&A you have a relaxed dining experience with professional waitstaff while on the other side it's noisy, get them in and out type attitude. Having Foie gras, Iranian caviar, truffles,etc. compared to  Pizzas, pasta,  and home style cooking, you can't place them in the same class. One is an experience while the other is a simple night out on the town. That is a good forum to discuss when it comes to Michelin and Zagat. I'm not bashing the other places, and they are good at what they do but they are not in the same league as places like V&A,  or Norman's at the Ritz Carlton.

I beg to differ. Good food is good food. More people scew up gras, caviar, and truffles than pizza in my experience. I think the whole Disney dinning experience is just a food mill. They try to get as many people in and out. Sure they have great menu's but when I have been there it wasn't mind blowing. Unfortunatly, Orlando does suck all around for food. We have no culture in this town. Kinda sucks, especially when you come from Louisiana ;)

Maybe I am blind to what most people's perception of "good food" is. When I hear raves about  places like California Grill or 310 Park South, Chefs De France, and how people believe it to be a great restaurants I'm baffled.  What are they producing that is so great.On the other side they say Victoria and Albert's is O.K. I cannot see how you can compare these totally different styles of restaurants.  It's like comparing the French Laundry or Daniel's to say the Cheesecake Factory, or PF Changs or something along those lines. Victoria and Albert's uses only the best and highest quality products available while on the other side it's about quantity. At V&A you have a relaxed dining experience with professional waitstaff while on the other side it's noisy, get them in and out type attitude. Having Foie gras, Iranian caviar, truffles,etc. compared to  Pizzas, pasta,  and home style cooking, you can't place them in the same class. One is an experience while the other is a simple night out on the town. That is a good forum to discuss when it comes to Michelin and Zagat. I'm not bashing the other places, and they are good at what they do but they are not in the same league as places like V&A,  or Norman's at the Ritz Carlton.

Well, price is another consideration. Not everyone on here can eat at V&A, Daniel's and FL every night or every weekend. When I said that I enjoyed 310, it was that it was a good meal at a reasonable price with some creativity. In between every "experience" there are at least 30-40 times I just go out to eat. I don't think most people on this forum would consider 310 or Chefs de France on the same level as V&As, but it was just a recommendation for the other times out.

And yeah, Orlando is a totally plastic town with little to no food culture, or any culture for that matter. My wife and I have been here 6 months and can't take much more of it.

Hey everyone!

First time poster (but hopefully not the last - I love this place!!!). Seeing as we will be staying at "The Dolphin" Disney Resort, I thought this was a good place to start.

I am a Florida native, but have always avoided the Disney scene. But hey, this is a free vacation! I am going to take full advantage of it!

There have been many great suggestions here by all of you....so many that I don't know how I will ever choose where to eat (Thank god the trip is still 3 weeks away!).

The Chef that I work under is from Orlando, and he has reccomended that I try a place called "Wasabi's". I've googled it, and haven't found many reviews (Yes, I know this isn't a Disney resturant, just a general area suggestion).

I am going to try to hit up Jimmy Buffett's resturant for lunch one day (Also, not a Disney resturant, but Universal's City Walk), as I am a total Parrothead, and I like the atmosphere. The music helps too :)

My other half is a picky eater, so making decisions on where to eat for 5 days is going to be tough. Thanks for all the great suggestions, and keep em comin!

-IamQuidam

Hey everyone!

First time poster (but hopefully not the last - I love this place!!!). Seeing as we will be staying at "The Dolphin" Disney Resort, I thought this was a good place to start.

I am going to try to hit up Jimmy Buffett's resturant for lunch one day (Also, not a Disney resturant, but Universal's City Walk), as I am a total Parrothead, and I like the atmosphere. The music helps too :)

My other half is a picky eater, so making decisions on where to eat for 5 days is going to be tough. Thanks for all the great suggestions, and keep em comin!

-IamQuidam

Welcome to the forums! Margaritaville has great burgers, but everything else is so so. I also am a huge Buffett fan myself. If your other half is picky, try Epcot. They have the around the world thing with a lot of stuff to eat there, if your doing all the parks. Also, I-drive isn't too far and has every type of restaurant you could think of. Joe's Crab Shack is not bad either. Good luck and have fun! Weather is PERFECT right now.

I beg to differ. Good food is good food. More people scew up gras, caviar, and truffles than pizza in my experience. I think the whole Disney dinning experience is just a food mill. They try to get as many people in and out. Sure they have great menu's but when I have been there it wasn't mind blowing. Unfortunatly, Orlando does suck all around for food. We have no culture in this town. Kinda sucks, especially when you come from Louisiana ;)

So it is in your experience that people screw up a simple elegant food like caviar, or the velvety texture of foie, and the enhancing aromas of truffles? Where does your experience stem from? Where is it actually that you eat theses products? I Highly doubt that a restaurant on the same caliber as the French Laundry or Daniel will "Screw UP" a delicate product. I ate at plenty of places where the pizza tasted like cardboard or the pasta could of been used for spackling. Maybe your expectations and palate are not on the same level as what these restaurants produce, but if you worked in these environments on a dialy basis you might have a different opinion. It is true that a cook can change these thoughts by overcooking foie or making a griddy texture in a mousse but guys like Eric Rippert of Le Bernadin who taste a bit of every single dish that leaves his kitchen bring quality to a whole new level!

• 2 months later...

I haven't been to Orlando in many years but I'll be heading down there for at least a week in early/mid Jan. I wanted to get some suggestions for some nice restaurants -- I plan on going out for dinner every night. Maybe some nice seafood, sushi, Italian, steakhouses, etc. I'm up for anything -- almost. LOL.

Thank you in advance.

Eric

Top.

Did everyone pick up and move from Orlando? How 'bout nearby Orlando -- anybody, any help? LOL.

Thanks.

Eric

Eric,

I assume that you will have a car to use.

For steaks, try DelFrisco's very pricey but good. Here is a link: http://www.delfriscosorlando.com/

For Vietnamese, try the Vi-Mi corridor which is basically a cluster of groceries and restaurants around Mills Ave and Colonial ( State Rd 50 ). I like Lac Viet Bistro which gets good raves from the local papers. It's clean and has a very nice decor, definitely a place you can take your wife or girlfriend to. Oh yeah, the food's good to :huh:Lac Viet Review in Orlando Sentinel

Can't give any personal recs for sushi but someone on the other board (rhymes with pound) mentioned a sushi place in the lobby of the Hyatt Grand Cypress hotel. The original poster is a veteran of that board so I trust his judgment.

If you are into the chain restos, Central FL is like the capital of the chains ie. Outback, Carraba's, Bonefish Grill, Red Lobster, Olive Garden etc. They are all over the place. It's no wonder since the headquarters of these chains are either in Orlando or Tampa.

HTH and Happy Holidays,

--Steve

Thanks for the help. Yes I will have a car. I am staying at the Marriott World Resort Center. Price is not an issue. When I travel I tend to want to try new places, but the types of food I like -- steak, steak, sushi, Italian, oh, and did I mention steak. LOL. I usually stay away from places I can eat at when I am home -- chains, names, etc.

Thank you again.

Eric

• 1 month later...

.... you get back from a week in Orlando dining mostly in Disney and the surrounding environs. My inlaws have a time share so we reluctantly take the kids every year or so. While the kids love it, its getting old pretty quickly. Most troubling for me is the dining options. Pretty bad if you ask me. In the past, my wife and I would have a half way decent meal at the California Grill. This year we tried to relive a beautiful meal we had at Roy's on the Big Island at their Orlando outpost. While the place wasn't that bad, it didn't blow me away either. We tried most of the signature items (poke, ribs, lobster potstickers). None really reminded us of the food several years back. I was impressed however with my Cobia entree as well as the signature molten lava cake (one of the best renditions I have ever tried and compared most favorably with the classic one at Jean Georges). I was also quite happy with the wine list. I had a very good Roy's Riesling by Pfeffingen as well a glass of Inniskillin Ice Wine with dessert. The meal was also quite expensive for what we got ($200 for the two of us with a couple of cocktails and a few glasses of wine). I'm just happy to be home. I swear if I ever see another Disney character or another restaurant chain, I'll just ...... :smile: There's always next year.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

This probably doesn't belong on this board, but have you tried Le Coq Au Vin down there? It's a French restaurant which was run by Actual French People. Not sure if it's still good, but my husband and I lived in Orlando for three (exceeeeeeedddingly long) years and went there fairly often. I went into labor with our first baby on our second anniversary, and the next day my husband asked them if they could make a meal to go--they very nicely packed up a lovely anniversary dinner, complete with linens and china, which we ate in the hospital.

You're right. Orlando is not exactly a culinary capital.

Susan

This probably doesn't belong on this board, but have you tried Le Coq Au Vin down there? It's a French restaurant which was run by Actual French People. Not sure if it's still good, but my husband and I lived in Orlando for three (exceeeeeeedddingly long) years and went there fairly often. I went into labor with our first baby on our second anniversary, and the next day my husband asked them if they could make a meal to go--they very nicely packed up a lovely anniversary dinner, complete with linens and china, which we ate in the hospital. 

You're right. Orlando is not exactly a culinary capital.

Susan

Susan - Thanks for the reply. I was unsure whether to post this thread in the NJ or FL Board. Per my trusty Zagat, Le Coq au Vin is still around and is #1 for food in Orlando. I wonder how I missed it. Next time I am dragged down to Oralndo kicking and screaming at least I have a real restaurant to try. Thanks again.

I was just going to start a thread asking about restaurants in Orlando...sheesh!

I'm visiting my folks there in May and would like to take them to a nice dinner out. We could always go to Emeril's, but I was wondering what else is out there? I really have no idea and haven't done much research yet-saw a place called "Hue" in Orlando that looked good...but sometimes bad restaurants can have nice websites, so I thought I'd ask first.