• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the DaysAgo Digital Day Counter

Gifted Gourmet

website

Food-Safety Favorite

No more debates about the half-eaten jars of sauce in your fridge. The DaysAgo Digital Day Counter from Double U Products attaches to a container and times the number of days and hours it's been open — so you can eat your food before it expires.

Are you often trying to decide whether refrigerated leftovers are ready to be "tossed"?

Is this an issue that intrigues you as you look at the contents of your home refrigerator? :rolleyes:

Much ado about nothing? or a bargain at this price? :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Hmmm - let's see now. Since their website lists so many things as having an opened shelf life of 1 or 2 days, my suspicion is that I need a Higher Power than this gizmo to keep me from poisoning someone with unsafe food. :shock:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I like the list ....

half a ham lasts half as long as a whole ham

how do you know when chitterlings are spoiled anyway?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I like it!

For me though, it's not that applicable.

In my refrigerator there's really no mystery or doubt. Things are either pristine fresh and towards the very front of the fridge, having been opened within a day or two, which is the only memory period I seem to have, or in the back of the fridge with stuff growing in the jars, and no memory for me of what they are and when they're from.

But I like the product!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

As I've said before, how about using a sharpie and a piece of masking tape (sort of like they do in a restaurant walk-in) to mark the date something was opened, prepped or whatever.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

It seems to me that if you can remember to put a disk on the container, then you would most likely also be able to wield a sharpie and write the date on it. Maybe I just have too much free time, though.

In my refrigerator there's really no mystery or doubt. Things are either pristine fresh and towards the very front of the fridge, having been opened within a day or two, which is the only memory period I seem to have, or in the back of the fridge with stuff growing in the jars, and no memory for me of what they are and when they're from.

I completely agree. I am usually able to see and/or smell if it is time for the trash.

I did get a chuckle out of the list of uses for pets. I've never thought of it as "litter box refreshment".

"Each package comes with two DaysAgos in 4 assorted colors"

That seems to kind of defy the laws of physics or something, but hey.... :raz:

They aren't a bad idea, but since I'd need about 20 of them, the expense is decidedly prohibitive.

The USFDA storage chart is pretty good thoiugh. :biggrin:

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

As I've said before, how about using a sharpie and a piece of masking tape (sort of like they do in a restaurant walk-in) to mark the date something was opened, prepped or whatever.

a little reasoning, masking tape, and a sharpie can work miracles .. this product, in my estimation, is truly not worth the money ... :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

a little reasoning, masking tape, and a sharpie can work miracles .. this product, in my estimation, is truly not worth the money ... :hmmm:

Sounds like it would be a useful tool for somebody with a memory-impairment that literally kept them from knowing how old something was (ever look in your grandparent's refrigerator? SCARY!) Or for someone so physically/emotionally overburdened that they're running on autopilot... but for the rest of us? A bit of a waste of time/money...

(I never remember to use the counter on the britta water pitcher as it is - I change the filter whenever the water starts to taste a bit stale, or when it occurs to me that I can't remember when I last bought a new filter. I don't know that an extra counter would help me!)