• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vanilla beans

Sararwelch

I would make either (or both) creme brulee or vanilla ice cream. Vanilla recipes don't come much simpler than these or much more delicious. I can help with recipes if you like.....just let me know.

Edited to say that if you insert a vanilla pod in a jar of sugar, your sugar will eventually be infused with the scent and flavour of vanilla, and this can be put to good use when baking cakes.

Edited by Rachellindsay (log)

I have an assortment of tahitian and mexican vanilla beans. Any good recipes I should try? Thanks!

To add to Rachel's excellent suggestion, Rum Drenched Vanilla Pound Cakes - Dori Greenspans Baking - From My Home to Yours. Also, if you have Baking by Flavor by Lisa Yockelson, there's a whole fabulous section on vanilla. Some very yummy vanilla buns in that cookbook.

And, on the simpler side, vanilla custard, vanilla infused rice pudding....

Enjoy the vanilla beans.

Edited for deplorable spelling.

Edited by SondraG (log)

That's funny because i'm just writing a post about vanilla for my blog.

I will include:

- descriptions of my favourites vanilla beans: mexican, bourbon and tahitian

- a recipe for Pierre Hermé's Emotion infiniment vanille.

Here is a little tease:

gallery_48830_3725_85432.png

It's basically (from top to bottom):

- vanilla chiboust (well, i know that the original Emotion calls for creme de mascarpone, but i forgot to buy mascarpone and thought a chisboust would work well, adding creaminess to the whole thing)

- baba infused with vanilla syrup

- light vanilla 'gelée'

With this 'entremet' you really get what it's all about: VANILLA.

Simply perfect to allow vanilla to develop a full and satisfying flavour.

- fanny

fanny loves foodbeam

pâtisserie & sweetness

Lucky you, to have extra vanilla beans lying around.

How about this--

Slit open a vanilla bean, cut it into 1/2-inch pieces, and combine it in a jar with 1/2 cup of any fruit brandy. Shake the jar to combine well. Let sit for 2 weeks. You can use this delicious infusion as a substitute for vanilla extract in recipes.

Lots of great suggestions here, and the first thing I would do would be to drop it into a bottle of vodka and hide it from myself!

Only thing I can add is steeping vanilla bean in a good bottle of bourbon. Great for dark cakes and cookies, and makes the most amazing bourbon pecan pie!

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping this topic because a friend has a birthday on Thursday and asked me to make his cake. The only request was vanilla. WTH. Its like the only flavor I have ever not featured! Why not cilantro or celery (I'm a freak).

I want to do something fancy not simple. He deserves it and expects it. Any ideas?

I'm not sure if I can do something with this - but he loves dark beer, so if I could incorporate that into a dessert that features vanilla I would get brownie points! I'll have to go re-read Mette's Iron Baker challenge.

Vanilla Guiness cake? Heh. I'm the least knowledgable person when it comes to beer.

I think I would love plain chiffon layered with panna cotta!

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

What about vanilla beans with a Belgian kriek. You could make a chocolate ganache frosting using the kriek and have a white layer cake with the vanilla beans.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I loved these ideas, but I'm in the middle of nowhere and had no lead time on this one (which meant no kriek). I ended up making a Guinness cake with vanilla panna cotta, super charged vanilla whipped cream all around, sprayed with white chocolate. It tastes great but my executiion was horrendous - good thing its for a friend.