• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

John Cope's Dried Corn

Fat Guy

http://www.copefoods.com/

By far the best dish on the Thanksgiving table this year was an incredible sweet creamed corn based on John Cope's toasted dried sweet corn. This stuff is an absolute flavor revelation. Even our friends from Venice -- who are extremely tough customers -- were blown away by it. You all must get hold of some of this stuff at once.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Even better than John Cope's corn is drying your own, but you have to do this in the summer when fresh corn is at its peak. Cut the kernels off a lot of ears of corn, spread them out on baking sheets and dry them in the lowest possible oven (140 degrees F) for 6-10 hours, moving them around on the sheet occasionally so they don't stick. When they are completely dry, pour into jars and store (I keep mine in the refrigerator). I make a corn pudding with them -- grind them coarsely in blender or food processor, soak them in milk for a few hours, mix with eggs, brown sugar, heavy cream, a little butter and bake in a round, more deep than flat baking dish until set. The flavor of home-dried corn is much better than the commercial stuff.

• 7 months later...

I haven't tried the sweet corn, but I tested a recipe today from Norman Van Aken for a charred corn salsa that was wonderful. When you caramelize the corn in a skillet with butter, it starts to smell like kettle corn. Then you saute green pepper, red onion, jalapeno and sliced garlic and toss it all with sherry vinegar and cilantro.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

I think the Melissa's product is a different animal. It's freeze-dried, kind of like the peas and such that are popular as salad toppings.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 4 months later...

By far the best dish on the Thanksgiving table this year was an incredible sweet creamed corn based on John Cope's toasted dried sweet corn. This stuff is an absolute flavor revelation. Even our friends from Venice -- who are extremely tough customers -- were blown away by it. You all must get hold of some of this stuff at once.

Where can I get some of this stuff in NYC? Does it have to be ordered from the site? Looks interesting.

--

Okay, I bought a dried corn product called "Just Corn" at the uptown Fairway (NYC) this evening. Four bucks for a 4 oz. container. The label says "reconstitute in hot broth for a great side dish."

Somebody tell me how to make excellent creamed corn (or some other great side dish) with this. Please. And hurry.

Edited by SethG (log)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I acquired some of the Cope's toasted dried corn the other day and made creamed corn from the recipe on the back of the box. Soak the corn in 3.5 cups of milk for at least 4 hours (in refridgerator of course). Add 2 tsp each of sugar and salt and 2 tbls. of butter. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 mintues. Tasted great.

Where can I get some of this stuff in NYC? Does it have to be ordered from the site? Looks interesting.

They carry it at The Kitchen Market at 218 Eighth Ave in NYC. If you don't live in NYC, call the number on the Web site and they'll tell you where to get it locally if it's available in your area.

Another great thing to do to keep corn around is to remove it from the cob and freeze it, juice and all.

Simply take a sharp paring knife (or one of those corn scrapers if you love gadgets and hate the skin on your knuckles) and slice off the corn on the cob over a bowl. Freeze in ziplocks.

When ready to cook sautee crushed garlic lightly in butter and add corn (thawed). It only needs to be cooked until hot all the way through. It is absolutely delicious like this and really easy to do.

If scraped off properly you WILL NOT get creamed corn, you will have all of the corny goodness and a little crunch to boot. :rolleyes:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I snuck off to the Kitchen Market today and got me some Copes. That's a fun little store, and a good resource for many spicy jarred ingredients and dried spices and beans.

They get the Copes corn in bulk and package it themselves, so it doesn't come with any recipes. But it is cheaper than the product from the Copes website. I got a 16 oz. bag for $5.50.

I snuck off to the Kitchen Market today and got me some Copes.

Hee! I was there for the same reason today! I bought 1.5 lbs. They must be wondering why they sold more Cope's today than they usually sell in a week.

--

There are recipes on the Cope's Web site, for those who are buying it as bin-food.

Thank you, Sam, for resurrecting this thread! The Cope's creamed corn was a big hit at my Thanksgiving dinner. I hope you enjoyed it too.

Edited by SethG (log)

• 9 months later...

OK kids- I bought 6 boxes of this stuff based on the raves and I have to say I find it disgusting! It tastes like canned corn with texture. It's cloyingly sweet to me.

I made the stewed corn from the package directions. Will the creamed corn be all that much different? Any other cooking ideas? I will be keeping an open mind as I have 5 more boxes to go.

Edited by rancho_gordo (log)

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

OK kids- I bought 6 boxes of this stuff based on the raves and I have to say I find it disgusting! It tastes like canned corn with texture. It's cloyingly sweet to me.

The Landis article I referenced above also complained about sweetness and recommended using only one third of the sugar called for.

Jim

• 2 years later...

Admin: Threads merged.

I've had a box of John Copes' dried corn in my cabinet for quite a while. I was thinking of adapting a corn chowder recipe to feed the relatives wandering in from out of town for Thanksgiving. Has anyone used this product and do you have any ideas for me? The baked corn recipe on the box also looks pretty good.