• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

food to send to someone who's recovering...

zoe b

my mom's gonna be in an extended care home for at least two weeks recovering from hip replacement surgery--so I'd love advice on what to send her (she's in TX, I'm in NJ (my sister is covering this hip, I get the other one).

I'm sending Butter Nut Crunch that I make for her all the time, a couple kinds of cookies, after that I'm drawing a blank--maybe some dried fruit and nuts--ooh I just thought of buttered pecans--but what else is easy to ship, non perishable, and not fussy to eat?

advice appreciated --Zoe

my mom's gonna be in an extended care home for at least two weeks recovering from hip replacement surgery--so I'd love advice on what to send her (she's in TX, I'm in NJ (my sister is covering this hip, I get the other one).

I'm sending Butter Nut Crunch that I make for her all the time, a couple kinds of cookies, after that  I'm drawing a blank--maybe some dried fruit and nuts--ooh I just thought of buttered pecans--but what else is easy to ship, non perishable,  and not fussy to eat?

advice appreciated --Zoe

Oh, Zoe. I hope your Mom's recovery goes well. How nice to have a sis to tag-team with! :smile:

How old is your mom, and is, uh, ahem, too much fiber (or not enough) going to be an issue for her? Will she be mobile at all?

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

You might want to send some peanut butter and crackers, or jam. One lady I knew complained that all the vegetables served in homes are cooked to death and she missed fresh vegetables. You can't ship this, but if you do have a sister in town, then maybe she can do a cruidite or a salad or something. Just know, the food is bad. very bad... :hmmm:

How old is your mom, and is, uh, ahem, too much fiber (or not enough) going to be an issue for her?

Another consideration is that many painkillers cause constipation, so she made need additional fiber. You may want to ask her doctor for suggestions as well.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

she's 78 and if you're thinking "nice old lady", well, don't--she's hell on wheels--and right now she's mean as a snake---my sister recounts each day to me and I need a few drinks just after listening!

The fiber issue--I think she has that under control, but I'll send her some Triscuits in the box--lots of fiber (and I know, salt and trans fats, but they'll taste good to her).

She's extremely careful about what her diet and eats lots of fruit and veggies--that IS going to be difficult, but her freinds can bring her fresh stuf (if she can bring herself to ask them).

They will want her to be as mobile as possible--I'm sure using a walker , but the other hip is totally useless so I think she'll be in a wheelchair for most of the day.

I'll add the crackers and jam and peanut butter--good idea.

I think there will be plenty of juice there so I won't bother sending that.

thanks all--Z

If your mom likes coffee, remember that the coffee served in these places is usually slop. She might become more kindly if her morning cuppa tastes good to her, so if she favors a certain brand, that might be a good thing to send.

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

All above are great suggestions.

A couple of years ago, my MIL had to spend 6 months in an extended care facility. The food in this place was nutritious, so she needed nothing "extra" from us; however, what she loved having us bring her were goodies -- homemade fudge, cookies, gingerbread -- which she would pass out to her caregivers. It was her way, and ours, of saying thank you for their care and attention.